Thai Airways sues over passenger’s flight diversion criticism

webfact

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

So the offending passenger previously withdrew the message and comments on social media and apologized.

Now the Thai's want to sue the offender for posting the criticism.

hmm.....    so removing / deleting the comments was not good enough for the Thai's. 

If you are asking a question, then it is a 'NO'.  Are you a little slow?

• Confused 1

I hear a rumour that THAI is holding training courses for their employees about: "How to Shoot Yourself in the Foot", "What We Must Do to Lose Customers", "How to Annoy the Public so That They Refuse to Fly With Us", "How Airline Corporate Offices Can Make an Airline Go Broke", "How to Bully Customers", and lastly "How an Airline Can Behave Stupidly Online". ... Rumours! Rumours! Rumours!

Edited by renaissanc
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Word of mouth is an incredibly powerful tool in the travel industry, and travelers often rely on online reviews and social media to make their purchasing decisions. If this airline develops a reputation for silencing criticism through legal threats, it could seriously damage its brand and reputation, which could lead to a significant loss of business.

Kind of reminds me the whole situation with Move Forward and the criticism of royalty. Inflated egos, and fragile.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jack Cook said:

Are you delusional? It is not a privilege to fly with Thai airways at all. They have progressively gotten worse since bad management forced them into near bankruptcy. I fly regularly business class BKK Melbourne return. Only use them because they are direct. The arrogance of them suing a passenger has lost me. From now on I will fly Vietnam airways and do the HCMC stop over. They are a far better better planes and service anyway. In typical Thai fashion the Thai Airways slipped from 10th best in the world to 40th and they think they have the right to sue people 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I wonder if THAI will sue me too for clicking "Like" on this comment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bbko said:
5 hours ago, proton said:

Another reason not to book with them, talk about fragile egos.

So you won't book with them cause they are taking legal action and then talk about fragile egos? Oh the irony 😆

Thats not irony at all... 

Thats choosing not to use a company that uses such business practice as suing its customers - thats not fragility, its making a choice.

The defamation laws in Thailand are abominable and seniors in Thai Airways clearly are showing their juvenile attitudes in acting this way...   

This is quite an own goal and highlights how Thai Airways can have the continued difficulty when those in charge can operate in such an immature manner. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

That's way over the top in my opinion! A simple statement to clarify the situation would've been more than. Unless the post in question contained insults. 

Edited by pacovl46

2 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

That's way over the top in my opinion! A simple statement to clarify the situation would've been more than. Unless the post in question contained insults. 

Not even any need for that....    the initial criticism was stupid, everyone knows that, it can just be ignored - not even worthy of comment or response.

Instead, Thai Airways have managed to turn an 'non-issue' into an own goal and managed to secure negative publicity out of thin air...  

... This is known as the Streisand effect...    Where attempting to limit and censor what they see as a negative information back fires and generates greater negativity... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If the had not diverted , there would had been complains why they did not. 

If they were following standard procedure, then  the passenger’s post was defamation that could damage the airlines reputation and result in loss of revenue. 

The airline was right to take legal action, if I was the CEO I would have done the same, and I suspect that if this was your company you would have done the same also. 

It sounds like this was going through someone's mind at THAI: "The only thing that will make us happy again and restore our beloved airline's reputation, which he has destroyed globally forever and ever and ever through his comment, is to sue him for 10+ billion Baht so that he has no money ever again, no money to buy food for himself and his family, no job, and nowhere to live! We want them to starve and to be destitute for the rest of their lives. How dare he express his opinion! How dare he!" ... THAI needs to calm down.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, damo1967 said:

If you are asking a question, then it is a 'NO'.  Are you a little slow?

Did you see a question mark anywhere within my comment.

English composition not one of your strong points obviously.

If the passenger was a trained professional pilot who was qualified to fly the aircraft he was transported on, he might have a point. On balance of probabilities, it's very unlikely.

Given there are flight factors aircrew have to deal with passengers are blissfully unaware of, it would be foolish to be second-guessing their actions.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If the had not diverted , there would had been complains why they did not. 

If they were following standard procedure, then  the passenger’s post was defamation that could damage the airlines reputation and result in loss of revenue. 

The airline was right to take legal action, if I was the CEO I would have done the same, and I suspect that if this was your company you would have done the same also. 

Actually, I don’t see that the passengers post defamed the airline at all. If anything it gave them publicity for taking the correct decision in the interests of safety. I wasn’t aware of the incident before, but I am now and am impressed that they put safety first. 

So where is the defamation?

• Like 1

But didn't the original poster make out himself to be some sort of expert in the flying bussiness ,when in all reality he is  just a tosser trying to big note himself. He said it was fine to land in Melbourne clear skys and he has flown this route many many times. Ha ha . How dare he question the captain of a plane.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

So the offending passenger previously withdrew the message and comments on social media and apologized.

Now the Thai's want to sue the offender for posting the criticism.

hmm.....    so removing / deleting the comments was not good enough for the Thai's. 

No, not good enough for Thailand's Defamation Laws.

You may recall the American teacher who wrote a scathing and rambling review of a west coast beach resort that resulted in him being threatened under the defamation laws by the owners. He stupidly doubled-down, posting another deleterious and fundamentally off-topic review. When this did result in his being sued by the property owners, after being apprised of the perils of the defamation laws here, he finally withdrew all the posts, met with the owners, had a great photo-op with everyone smiling and exchanging flowers and the ubiquitous baskets of Brands... only for the lawsuit to stick and the numpty being run out of Dodge on a rail. Som nam-nah as they say here.

The defamation laws here are arcane. Ill-conceived, open for abuse, and wouldn't stand a chance of becoming legislation in many other countries. Unfortunately, this is Thailand and in this case I say stick it to 'em TG. Well done.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Actually, I don’t see that the passengers post defamed the airline at all. If anything it gave them publicity for taking the correct decision in the interests of safety. I wasn’t aware of the incident before, but I am now and am impressed that they put safety first. 

So you've read all the comments the alleged offender wrote ?

5 hours ago, Nordic summer said:

To be perfectly honest, I think this news item will fly well below the radar of the public.

You mean like it has on this forum?  Where I already see 10x as many negative remarks about the airline and its performance than the guy's now deleted critique for which he's getting sued. And it seems, they're just getting started.

Multiply that by hundreds of other travel forums and the self inflicted damage to the brand will be huge.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I did not see the specific statement if you have please provide a copy, all I saw was "critical"   IMO a critical statement is a negative statement, and a negative statement that is not true is defamation. 

That it might have the opposite effect is immaterial 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, peter zwart said:

Typical Thai reaction. They really can't handle anything. Easily offended in their ego at the slightest thing. If they had a bit more upstairs (brains), they would have dealt with this in a mature way. And if you have a good communication department, you can build a lot of goodwill in a case like this. But not in this immature manner.

No wonder its 40th on the (Skytrax) list of 100 Airlines!