Coin Counters - What to do with spare change?

When daughter's moneyboxes were full (she had one for each coin denomination) we counted them out into separate bags (over 6000b total) and took them to local OmSin branch to go in her account.

They accepted but said come back later that morning - when we got there they had a high school student on work experience re-counting the coins. So yes they'll accept, but maybe not immediate service.

Since then we have a 7-11 opened nearby, waits till she has 1000, they're happy to change for a note 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The irony of the grand one who won't use public transport and only pays with notes now worrying about his small change and what to do with it!

I didn't realize driving a car and big bike made me grand. But, thank you

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I find it amazing that with all the technology of today that coins can't be counted and rolled by machine. In the US you have machines at Walmart that you can dump your change into, it spits out the foreign money, gives a paper receipt minus a % for service. Cash in at check out.

Of course they can be counted by machine, the banks just don't want the expense of maintaining the hardware.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The irony of the grand one who won't use public transport and only pays with notes now worrying about his small change and what to do with it!

It, obviously, doesn't but there was more than a hint of grandness in the tone of your comment.  What was the point of your "big" bike reference, was the word "bike" not grand enough for your announcement?   

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

That deserves a laughing emoji !

Good come back, my friend.

Still love you Lou.

19 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Do banks offer this service? Bring in a bucket of coins and dump it in a coin counter. 

If you have a bank account, which I assume you do, take the coins to your bank along with ID and your bank book and they will take the coins and update you book. I wondered this and I contacted the banks head office who gave me the information I have just told you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

If you have a bank account, which I assume you do, take the coins to your bank along with ID and your bank book and they will take the coins and update you book. I wondered this and I contacted the banks head office who gave me the information I have just told you.

Outstanding, going to open account for the kid anyway. Thanks

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It, obviously, doesn't but there was more than a hint of grandness in the tone of your comment.  What was the point of your "big" bike reference, was the word "bike" not grand enough for your announcement?   

There's a bit of a chip on the shoulder.

I put all change in a plastic bag. Every couple of weeks I count the coins and bag into 100 baht amounts. I then deposit them into my sons bank account when I have  less than 2000 baht. My local bank charge a commission if the amount exceeds 1999 baht. He has a handy balance now.

• Like 1

I havent found automatic coin counting machines in CM, so my routine is:

keep a few small ziploc plastic bags in a bowl for each type of coin.  all the copper satangs go moxed together.

- use 10฿ for laundry

- use 5฿ for coffee.  local shop at the corner always wants 5฿ coins

- 2฿, 1฿, and satangs all go back to buy things 7 eleven where they came from (in organized small bags)  Most other shops, I use mobile payment which is not accepted at 7-11.  So, most of my coins come from change on cash transactions there anyway.

Edited by captainjackS
spelling

6 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

I havent found automatic coin counting machines in CM, so my routine is:

keep a few small ziploc plastic bags in a bowl for each type of coin.  all the copper satangs go moxed together.

- use 10฿ for laundry

- use 5฿ for coffee.  local shop at the corner always wants 5฿ coins

- 2฿, 1฿, and satangs all go back to buy things 7 eleven where they came from (in organized small bags)  Most other shops, I use mobile payment which is not accepted at 7-11.  So, most of my coins come from change on cash transactions there anyway.

What about the self check-out in Tops supermarket ?

Just empty all your coins in there and the machine counts the money for you 

44 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

What about the self check-out in Tops supermarket ?

Just empty all your coins in there and the machine counts the money for you 

Thanks for the recommendation! I will try next week.  I usually go to Tops Chotana (chang phuak / khuang singh). Do you know if that Tops has the coin acceptor machine?