Move Forward to press ahead with amending Article 112 – but within limits imposed by court

webfact

It might be beneficial to Thai electorate for sake of political education that MFP present and discuss how the many constitutional monarchies in the world such as Japan and Sweden that have operated for decades without major constitutional crises. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

They want to amend the rules to bring it into the modern era, not overthrow the monarchy.

Which would almost be impossible, in this scenario, without dissolving the ruling monarchical system - as the whole of this particular parliamentary democratic practice is highly dependent on the whims of the singular ruling classes......which of course contradicts and collides with anything that proposes to be free, open and democratic. 

Perhaps, the wish to not overthrow the monarchy per se, but to engage a figurehead approach without this class involved in the everyday practice and mechanics of the state. This should be acceptable by the people. 

The ideals of a Constitutional Monarchy is basically antithetical to any free practice of democracy. 

7 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

The ideals of a Constitutional Monarchy is basically antithetical to any free practice of democracy. 

Um, how did you reach that conclusion? UK? Sweden? Denmark? Norway? Holland? Belgium? ...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I have a feeling if this Move Forward party gets into power it will be very bad for most of us so called falangs in the long run. I predict taxes, taxes and more taxes, increasing regulation, p2p scene outlawed over time etc. all this of course to make Thailand more "equal and progressive".

I hope I'm wrong but they call themselves social democratic. That has been one of the leading political movements in my home country since ww2. I get a little puke in my mouth when I hear those words. They drain all fun out of a country and make citizens slaves in a golden cage with their high taxes and overreach.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Antti said:

I have a feeling if this Move Forward party gets into power it will be very bad for most of us so called falangs in the long run. I predict taxes, taxes and more taxes, increasing regulation, p2p scene outlawed over time etc. all this of course to make Thailand more "equal and progressive".

I hope I'm wrong but they call themselves social democratic. That has been one of the leading political movements in my home country since ww2. I get a little puke in my mouth when I hear those words. They drain all fun out of a country and make citizens slaves in a golden cage with their high taxes and overreach.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Social democracy in Thailand is at least quarter of a century away, quite likely more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

This deserves a round of applause for courage. I cannot however see the Senate allowing this to come to pass.

The unelected senators are out of work come March as there term in office comes to an end 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Brian Hull said:

All power to Move Forward. It's refreshing to see some Thais prepared to stick their necks out to bring Thailand into the 21st Century. Not long now until the unelected senators are shown the door.

Yes, but what follows as the current Senate departs? Noone ever talks about that.

I'm unclear on what the process is ... already all sown up by the dinosaurs?

Edited by mfd101

Alas the majority of voters voted for the party that has the majority of seats, however, Thailand is a dictatorship by a minority elite and the will of the people through a democratic process will never come to fruition as long as the ruling elite maintain the power of the Senate and the courts. One cannot truly use the term democracy in reference to Thailand. Bit like the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Anything but a democracy.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Agree 1