Thailand in Crisis: Population plummets by 500k in 4 Years

webfact

Just now, retarius said:

I was just fooling'...:)

i'm sorry... lol

hard to tell buddy... some people here are really uptight about menial things... cheers

gave you a smiley so you can have a good day 555

7 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Farangs, let's help Thailand! Let's impregnate as many Thai women as we can!

That right there is why they make it harder for expats than it needs to be.

• Like 1

Modernity creeping up on Thailand and they haven't a clue. Early signs of cultural change but no understanding of the causes or consequences.

Result: suffer the pains without the gains.

48 minutes ago, impulse said:

Go out and work in a field for $8 or $10 a day and see how eager you are to do it again the next day.  Or leave the house every morning with 50 baht in your pocket (because that's your discretionary money for the day, to buy food and water and whatever else you want) and see what kind of a mood you're in. 

I think the oldsters do it out of habit from before globalization when they could buy food and necessities for a 3rd world price.  Now, the product of their labor is shipped out to the highest bidder around the world.  And they can't afford it.  Kids in Thailand today know they are well and truly screwed.

No problem at  all Ive been doing that for  years, built 4  houses  by myself ( i dont mean supervise I mean lay thre blocks) take  care of 5 rai of  fruit, so the choice is $10 or  none at  all, pretty  simple  choice, work hard  save hard, start  young and save. Alternatively  whine an moan how lifes  not  fair. On top of  that certainly  no one  around Prachuap  will work for  less than 400 a  day.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

No, I flew out of LAX. No outgoing passport controls.

when you depart the US on a plane to another country, your departure is typically noted by the authorities. The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) keeps track of departures through an electronic system known as the Automated Passport Control (APC) or the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). These systems help monitor and record the departures of travelers who are visa exempt or have an electronic travel authorization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

So when Somchai leaves Thailand to pick berries in Finland, how is he counted?

Temporary departures don't affect population statistics. 

Thailand conducts a census only once a decade and it is just one of the tools used to estimate the population. Thailand has an ID card system for all citizens, and a house registration book,Tabien Baan, used for residents to register for district voting and health care services. Also, falling birth rates per 1000 are easy to count. Aging populations and death rates are all part of the process of estimating a population.

Demography is not an exact science even with a very recent census, but it can certainly predict trends with reasonable accuracy.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Agree 1

the Fertility rate of Thailand is falling for 50 years already.
can point it down to the Time Thai Women were allowed in University and other Jobs.
Now you have Young Women in their most fertile Years work 60 Hours a Week in Jobs without any real Perspective for the Future.
Smartphones dont help either, making it worse.
And all that Gayness and Transgenderism takes it toll on Birthrates as well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karlsson said:

the Fertility rate of Thailand is falling for 50 years already.
can point it down to the Time Thai Women were allowed in University and other Jobs.
Now you have Young Women in their most fertile Years work 60 Hours a Week in Jobs without any real Perspective for the Future.

So you're proposing to keep all the women in Thailand barefoot and pregnant. And uneducated. Maybe you also think everyone should move back to agricultural work and abandon the cities. Hang on, that's been tried already. How well did that work out for Pol Pot, anyway? 

3 hours ago, rct99q said:

So your saying if expats were not charged double the Thai population would be increasing? Or is the main reason for the decline in population because life is not easy for expats? Perhaps it is because the additional stress expats are under, from immigration policies, is producing lower sperm counts, is causing the decline in the Thai population. I see where Thailand needs to fix the problem.

I  think you misunderstand, but alas it are not only the retirees...but keep the old law about forbidden labours, don't educate people in schools and on the road, let all the prIoblems solve by themselves. More single expats who come work in Thailand, get a Thai partner, get a better income, get kids, with better education, and will help the country forward, but as long as the country don't want changes, nothing will work and everything will go back.  If you are Thai you know what the people around you complaining, if you are a foreigner open your eyes and see what is going on

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

So you're proposing to keep all the women in Thailand barefoot and pregnant. And uneducated. Maybe you also think everyone should move back to agricultural work and abandon the cities. Hang on, that's been tried already. How well did that work out for Pol Pot, anyway? 

i am not proposing anything so far  i am just stating Facts. 
The rest are your weird Assumptions.
I dont know why you want to make Young Woman work and push them into the Citys instead of starting a Family in their Hometown with extended Family around.
but you are probably childless and are coping

4 hours ago, Mbolo said:

I’ve been living/visiting for 50 years and I never once saw a census official . How do they make up these figures ? 

Very easy - every Thai of age has an ID specific number and must be listed on a home register.  With home register there would be no need for census (if people really stayed where they are listed) but for number of total people system should work OK - just not specific locations). 

Terrible article. Read the exact same thing over the first several sentences. The whole thing could be done in one or two lines. But, yes, this is happening worldwide... ridiculously expensive to have a kid nowadays and what a generally horrible outlook for them! The caveat is those places that can't control themselves and churn out kids with the hope of using them to get out of the mire, and places where certain religious mindsets don't believe in controlling it. 

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Very easy - every Thai of age has an ID specific number and must be listed on a home register.  With home register there would be no need for census (if people really stayed where they are listed) but for number of total people system should work OK - just not specific locations). 

With a good registration system instead of the stupid registration in the blue book. People live everywhere but not in the place they are registered, there is no control about anything. Register people where they live, what they do and what they have. Better for the country to tax people, many don't pay taxes although they earn a lot and you get a better idea who is in need and you can help. Now nobody knows anything so indeed numbers in Thailand are unreliable

Edited by ikke1959

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

id  like to shove their phones right up their arses......repeatedly.

Narcissisitic pretend hi-so's with attitude seems  more prevalent in the girls.

Add to narcissistic attitude of the telephone zombie cohort the obvious lack of masculinity exemplified by the soy boy brats and their consequential testosterone deprivation and you have a real social problem.

I get myself in hot waters when I explain the way for countries to have expanding population is to tolerate intergenerational sex. I get call names for "defending pedofiles". What the hell are they talking about? I only found 2 meanings for pedofile: it's either a file for filing nails on you feet (toenails), or a file in which you keep data about feet (which foot has fungus, corns etc.).

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand in crisis as population declined by over 500k over the last four years

How about driver education, compulsory seatbelts and helmets, cops on the streets enforcing laws?

That would cut about 100K needless deaths.  Add their potential offspring and you're halfway there already.

Maybe some Thai official should request Worldometer to correct their obviously incorrect Thai figures, as it looks like it increased to me. The web site says -

• The current population of Thailand is 71,852,424 as of Wednesday, February 7, 2024, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data 1.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/thailand-population/

image.png.788a47b587834894081d19f49887370c.png

So it looks like more BS from the mouths of government officials . . .

24 minutes ago, Lapun said:

Maybe some Thai official should request Worldometer to correct their obviously incorrect Thai figures, as it looks like it increased to me. The web site says -

• The current population of Thailand is 71,852,424 as of Wednesday, February 7, 2024, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data 1.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/thailand-population/

image.png.788a47b587834894081d19f49887370c.png

So it looks like more BS from the mouths of government officials . . .

I've also checked that site many times, but there are others with different, lower figures well below the 70m number.

Which is the most accurate?

Too late to stop the population crash now, that already happened 20 years ago with declining birth rates. People dont seem to get it yet or what it means. Even if everyone had 3 kids now it takes 20 more years to grow up and reproduce to slow any decline but  urban families dont have many children& ever rising cost simply means less children, less families and ever more singles and so it goes.. None of it helps increase population. 

On the farm having kids is cheap & free labour, the problem with that is the last couple of generations have left the farms for the cities. With nothing to go back for but poverty its hardly surprising the average farmers age is above 55 and rising.

In an urban environment children are v costly and just an expense until they grow up. Populations moving  into mega growing cities wont help & with ever increasing uban living costs  birth rates will continue to decline as a result. 

This is has been happening across most of the developed/developing world  for decades. From Russia to Japan,  Italy to China and thats without other economic equations added into the mix. And no  its not fixable with immigration only temporary & shown that within a generation those immigrants follow the same birth rate decline,  Africans or Indians, Muslim etc still follow the same demographic birth decline in their new host countries by the next generation..Even Mexico peaked last decade & suspect the US is desperately opening the borders for this very reason but its only a sticking plaster not a solution. 

Not one country in decline has managed to buck the low birth rate issue organically yet. 

We are very possibly living in the times of the most humans alive there will ever be.. ever.  

8 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

The whole world has seen a dramatic drop in birth rates over the past couple of years. Very compelling. What is the common denominator?

Increasing living standards and giving women the right to birth control.......something many religions do not  like.

The population decrease is a phenomenon in virtually all of non-Muslim Asia Pacific. Hindus in India have birth rates similar to China/Korea/Japan whereas Muslims have a birthrate similar to Sub-Saharan Arab Africa.

17 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Or whoever counts population made a mistake.

Or maybe Covid killed a lot more than was known at the time. Since Covid primarily killed old people, maybe Social Security is okay.

or maybe your wild assumptions can be backed up by some facts ?