And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

On 2/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am amazed how many people still go to Phuket, for holiday or to live there.

I was there the first time 30 years ago and at that time it was an obvious rip-off. Did it improve over the years? Obviously not.

I wonder if anybody who decided to live there do any research? 

I entirely agree. Having been all over Thailand since first arriving here in 1962 Phuket is the last place where I would ever choose to live.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:52 PM, Galong said:

Six of my very good friends have had enough of Phuket and all six are leaving because of traffic. Another friend and his family of four just bought a house a relocated here from the UK. After just a few months, they are already looking for ways to leave. 

How many of you have lost friends due to the 'progress' going on in Phuket?

None!!

On 10/12/2024 at 10:09 PM, grumpyoldman said:

Thats the program I'll be after. 4 months US, 4 months Khao Lak area maybe...., 4 months Philippines but not sure where. Going to check out Cebu and Northern Luzon early next year.

If you're going to the PI, do as I did first - I got certified in SCUBA diving - greatest in the world with so much sea life and super clear water - literally as clear as drinking water.  In the PI I also did an "Advance Open Water" certification - at 135 ft deep, nighttime, the full moon was clear as sitting on the boat and observing that ball in the sky.  Did well over 500 dives there - sunken warships, giant whale sharks, wateris not too cold so don't have to wear wetsuits, just pure pleasure dives available throughout the PI.  Great golf courses too.  Baguio in N. PI great when cooler weather needed.  Avoid the typhoon months though - they normally get 20 storms a year. Just a suggestion, depending on what you enjoy in life.

• Agree 1

Now you can throw the taxation dreams of the finance ministry into the equation and the exodus will increase drastically ....... Well, they know better so let them have it their way; the Lord knows everything and some Thais know even more 😉 

On 2/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I was there the first time 30 years ago and at that time it was an obvious rip-off. Did it improve over the years? Obviously not.

Yeah. Not sure why would anyone retire in a high touristy area. 

I'm proactively looking at retirement now.  Currently swithering between Thailand and Philippines.  Phuket never made it onto my long list after holidaying there 12 years ago (loved it), then 9 years ago (didn't love it due to the Russian influx and their negative impact on the Thais).  Hua Hin is my favourite place so far, but more research to be done.  Philippines?  Not found anywhere I love yet (been to Cebu, Manila, Angeles, Kalibo, Taal and Palawan).  A Filipino I know has recommended the Subic area (less typhoon impact, less busy but still got some life about it).  Going to check that out next.

Six of my very good friends have had enough of Phuket and all six are leaving because of traffic. Another friend and his family of four just bought a house a relocated here from the UK. After just a few months, they are already looking for ways to leave. 

How many of you have lost friends due to the 'progress' going on in Phuket?

I have lost zero.

Phuket is great as long as you do not live in a typical tourist area.

It is a third the size of greater London, there are lots of nice areas to live in.

I would hate to live in a small village where nothing at all goes on especially in Isaan, too backward for me, why not go one step further and live in a cave like a primitive? 😁

Oh and the other fallacy is it is overrun by Russians, people believe anything that is said/written on ArseBook, etc, so dim. 

The roads in this estate are private and so I hear a car go past the house maybe once every few hours, it is so quiet,  yet the banks, chemists, convenience shops, etc are just a few minutes walk away. 

And it is reassuringly expensive to keep the riff-raff away. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

“And so the exodus of quality expats begins.”
What’s the big deal? If you knew the definition of “expats”, it’s what they do. They go to a country for a time and then leave to go somewhere else. 
And to think there are “quality expats” just shows that they think they are better than everyone else.  Such entitlement. 
Don’t let the door kick you in the a** on your way out. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I had to go to Phuket under the covid visa scheme ..first week in Phuket, test, and then free to go anywhere. I didn't like it and I wouldn't go back. If they thought that a compulsory 7 nights in Phuket was going to make people long for more, or stay on the island it didn't work for me. 

Six of my very good friends have had enough of Phuket

In 1980 I was there for a couple of days and had enough of it then. I was back a couple of times 25 years ago but left after a day each time. That said around 2000, a friend invited us to his Marriot Timeshare in the north of the island - we had a very lovely vacation there.... 

But there is always the rest of Thailand outside the tourist areas and that is lovely every day. 

49 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Thank goodness there are many places in Thailand that are not Phuket!

And as an aside, where in the world is there not a problem with traffic?

my wife's village... and my driveway.... go Baan nork

1 hour ago, Watawattana said:

I'm proactively looking at retirement now.  Currently swithering between Thailand and Philippines.  Phuket never made it onto my long list after holidaying there 12 years ago (loved it), then 9 years ago (didn't love it due to the Russian influx and their negative impact on the Thais).  Hua Hin is my favourite place so far, but more research to be done.  Philippines?  Not found anywhere I love yet (been to Cebu, Manila, Angeles, Kalibo, Taal and Palawan).  A Filipino I know has recommended the Subic area (less typhoon impact, less busy but still got some life about it).  Going to check that out next.

If you keep going south from Hua Hin, there are progressively nicer and quieter beaches- Pranburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan City, etc.  Not great if you are into nightlife, but beautiful and relaxing.  Ao Manao Beach just south of Prachuap Khiri Khan is amazing.

I used to like Patong, although many years ago. Then the first tall building went up and opened as a hotel, surprise.

Went back for holiday 2014. What a mess of a place. Never, ever again.

On 2/9/2024 at 10:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

A dump and that was before the hordes descended from the Soviet steppes and China.

Traffic awful, everywhere trying to rip you off. Much nicer and more authentic places in Thailand.

IMHO.

44 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

A dump and that was before the hordes descended from the Soviet steppes and China.

Traffic awful, everywhere trying to rip you off. Much nicer and more authentic places in Thailand.

IMHO.

I'm sort of glad you think that (and others too) as it should mean you will find other places, and if enough people have your view, the increasing trend of Phuket's population will hopefully stabilize with time.

As to research and why - ANYONE who objectively did research would see the obvious - but some only want the fabulous sand and empty beaches of 1/2 century ago - something that has not been in Phuket for decades.  I debated about posting the below, as I prefer not to have more flooding the island.  I would be happy for this post to be deleted and during the brief time I have - I may do myself?

What Phuket offers those expats who stay?  I thought it obvious, but I guess not so let me note some of the points:

• International airport relatively close to the entire island
  • MANY (relatively) quality hospitals near by most locations in Phuket
  • Immigration office relatively close to most locations in Phuket
  • Banking in many spots in Phuket
  • Many quality stores / shopping malls
  • English language cinema for those who want such
  • Massive selection of good restaurants of many cuisines (especially relevant to expats in the know)
  • A number of international schools
  • Condos/villas with fabulous views
  • Quiet scenic locations away from the crazy western tourist beaches (for those who take the time and effort to find such )
  • Many tours (diving and boating expeditions to near by islands ) originate from Phuket
  • Easy to get by with English language
  • For those (not me) tourists/expats who want night life?  Phuket's scene is 3rd to only Bangkok and Pattaya

Downsides?

• Its not the isolated serene beach that many dream of
  • Its expensive relative to most of the rest of Thailand (but still cheaper than most of the western world)
  • Main tourist beaches that the ill informed flock to are crazy and IMHO ugly due to the masses
  • Traffic in main arteries is ugly in high season, and also ugly during rush hour in low season.

My experience is many are ILL INFORMED and think before coming to Phuket it will be an isolated serene beach with all the modern conveniences.  They are invariably disappointed.

My hope ?  That everyone seizes on the negatives, and go elsewhere than going to Phuket.  I am not keen on seeing the traffic get any worse.   I am not too worried about the quiet areas being discovered and properly assessed as most don't take the time and effort to properly do such. For me? That is good.

Thailand has MANY great areas - so I urge others to find places OTHER than Phuket.  Many ( not all thou) of the good points I mention can be found for a cheaper price in any single given other (than Phuket) location in Thailand.  So go there instead !

Edited by oldcpu
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Watawattana said:

Hua Hin is my favourite place so far, but more research to be done. 

I spent about 6 weeks in Hua Hin (on 3 different visits combined) looking around. In the end I decided against and went for Phuket.  Why?

• Phuket has more quality hospitals (albeit Hua Hin has some quality hospitals too ..., just a lessor number)
  • Too many local tourists from Bangkok flood Hua Hin on holidays - with massive numbers at times approaching Phuket ill informed tourist area madness
  • The main highway that runs through Hua Hin is horrific and makes the entire area unsuitable for me
  • Less sea tours / expeditions from Hua Hin than Phuket
  • Hua Hin has less international schools compared to Phuket
  • Hua Hin is Much MUCH MUCH further from an International Airport such as Phuket has
  • In Hua Hin, after viewing over 3 dozen different condos on the massive long  beach , I could not find  one  in decent shape, for a decent price, that I liked ... [ also one only gets a sunrise view over the water - and not a sunset view].
  • Not as wide a restaurant selection as Phuket (although Hua Hin does have many)

Don't get me wrong.  I do like Hua Hin.  I think it a great place.  I believe it will be ideal for some.   I have friends who live in that area - so it would be nice to be living in that area close to friends. 

Overall Hua Hin is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than Phuket also.  The massively less expensive price can be important to many.

I urge many to look at Hua Hin. 

But Phuket edged out Hua Hin for me.

Edited by oldcpu

My rent went up 33% last year and earlier today I learnt that it will probably go up 17% at renewal next month - I wish that there was an exodus and then maybe rents will stabilise.

Riding around my local area there are virtually no "For sale" or "For rent" signs and I very rarely get a notification of a property coming onto the market from the online agents - very different to a couple of years ago.

And all of this with huge developments going up all over the place!

Yeh, some exodus!

3 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I spent about 6 weeks in Hua Hin (on 3 different visits combined) looking around. In the end I decided against and went for Phuket.  Why?

• Phuket has more quality hospitals (albeit Hua Hin has some quality hospitals too ..., just a lessor number)
  • Too many local tourists from Bangkok flood Hua Hin on holidays - with massive numbers at times approaching Phuket ill informed tourist area madness
  • The main highway that runs through Hua Hin is horrific and makes the entire area unsuitable for me
  • Less sea tours / expeditions from Hua Hin than Phuket
  • Hua Hin has less international schools compared to Phuket
  • Hua Hin is Much MUCH MUCH further from an International Airport such as Phuket has
  • In Hua Hin, after viewing over 3 dozen different condos on the massive long  beach , I could not find  one  in decent shape, for a decent price, that I liked ... [ also one only gets a sunrise view over the water - and not a sunset view].
  • Not as wide a restaurant selection as Phuket (although Hua Hin does have many)

Don't get me wrong.  I do like Hua Hin.  I think it a great place.  I believe it will be ideal for some.   I have friends who live in that area - so it would be nice to be living in that area close to friends. 

Overall Hua Hin is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than Phuket also.  The massively less expensive price can be important to many.

I urge many to look at Hua Hin. 

But Phuket edged out Hua Hin for me.

Though I have never been there, Hua Hin seems like it may be a large flat area where you are just baking in the sun. Streets are probably laid out like a grid.

Phuket is a hilly area with a bunch of interesting curved streets and nooks and crannies. Condo's had some character in placement, facing all directions and just felt like it may be a more interesting space to live in. More conductive to digging in and may be more social.

it puzzles me why people seem to feel the need to make a song and dance about leaving thailand. if you want to go , go. if you don't, don't. quite honestly, the world really doesn't care.

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

it puzzles me why people seem to feel the need to make a song and dance about leaving thailand. if you want to go , go. if you don't, don't. quite honestly, the world really doesn't care.

We need to know why others are leaving. It also helps people decide if they want to burn bridges or not when moving over here. Plus, I like hearing complaints.