The realities of PM2.5 in Thailand revealed by ‘Check Dust’

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand is facing a grave environmental crisis as PM 2.5 levels soar to dangerous heights, threatening the health of millions.

The Thai Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation (MHESI), in partnership with the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) and other relevant bodies, took decisive action to combat this escalating threat.

The Check Dust application, utilising cutting-edge satellite technology and AI, revealed a disturbing reality with PM 2.5 concentrations reaching hazardous levels in several provinces, posing severe health risks to the populace.

According to satellite data obtained through the Check Dust application at 8am yesterday, February 8, alarming levels of PM 2.5 were identified in 14 provinces across Thailand, posing significant health hazards to respiratory systems.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Pattaya News

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Mostly NE provinces topping the list.   Couldn't be all the rice, sugar & corn farming.   Strange that they burn so much, as the Korat plateau is fairly flat.   In the N, it's understandable, sort of, as running a tractor on hills to turn the soil isn't the most practical or safest way at times.

NE, it's simply easier & cheaper to burn it.  Part of the reason I left Udon Thani, as it used to rain black dust from the sugar burning.  Rather annoying when having a pool.

Last few weeks it was Bangkok. We got hit by it hard here in Jomtien. Mainly coming from factories and vehicles.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

Here's a quote from the article in the OP:

These hotspots were predominantly located in protected forest areas, national forest reserves, agricultural areas, communities, and other regions.

So the latest government response that I heard about was to start checking the exhaust of the ferry boats in the Chao Phraya River!

That is an easy fix. Many small marine engines have water-cooled exhausts so conversion with gov. help would be easy. Even RC boats😲

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Bangkok has consistently had high pm 2.5 for the last 3 months. It's rare to see a blue sky and the sun. Basically the sky is brown on a daily basis.

We're We're right on Jomtien beach. Great view. But most days can't see Koh Laarn or Sattahip mountains. Terrible.

We. Leave the doors open all day. Before bed, we rinse our feet off and it's pure black. We have to damp mop almost every day

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

We're We're right on Jomtien beach. Great view. But most days can't see Koh Laarn or Sattahip mountains. Terrible.

We. Leave the doors open all day. Before bed, we rinse our feet off and it's pure black. We have to damp mop almost every day

I've just been to Chiang Mai and someone told me to enjoy the view of the mountains because coming soon you won't be able to see them. Sadly the worst is yet to come.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

A load of crock, as usual ............ anyone living here for a longer period of time can confirm smog and coughing being a daily nuisance meanwhile. If it does not improve, then I shall leave this country - I had it with all this bo11ocks! 

I don't know how people tolerate living further N than us, 1 hr below Hua Hin.   Lived in Udon Thani for 16 years, and last 10 ish years, I noticed how really bad it was or was getting.  Had hills in the distance west of the house, 4 ridges, and on mediocre smog days, you couldn't even see them from 2nd floor veranda.   Same if on top level of Central Plaza parking garage, you couldn't see any of the distant hillside around the city.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is facing a grave environmental crisis as PM 2.5 levels soar to dangerous heights, threatening the health of millions.

Now that's something you won't see on the front page of a glossy brochure...

• Thumbs Up 1

How does a satellite camera measure the diameter of fine dust particles in the air near the earth's surface and determine the weight of the particles measuring 2.5 micrometres per cubic metre of air

I am not suggesting that it is impossible but I am genuinely interested in knowing how this is done.

more than decade ago RTP had CO2 checks on vehicles. They stopped any suspicious car/bus/tuk-tuk and shove a probe into exhaust pipe. Good intention but unfortunately it ends up without any outcome. 
The owner of kindergarten told me that the big tree in front of the kindergarten protects from PM2.5 so children can play outdoor while AQI was above 150

et cetera et cetera. Amazing Thailand!

PS: AQI 50 considers dangerous and "you better stay home". What about 150???

• Like 1

I would have a modicum of respect for Srettha if he did something useful by pouring his energy for this very real and damaging issue instead of his smiling donkey bull<deleted> for trivialities and anything China. Severely punish burners, impound any and all smoke belching vehicles and crush them, hoover up road dust. 

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:13 PM, Puccini said:

How does a satellite camera measure the diameter of fine dust particles in the air near the earth's surface and determine the weight of the particles measuring 2.5 micrometres per cubic metre of air

I am not suggesting that it is impossible but I am genuinely interested in knowing how this is done.

By measuring the difference in scattering of infrared light in the 8.7 and 12µm wavelength bands, which correspond to the particle size of interest. The bigger the difference the more particles of that size.

You can also use wavelengths near 2.5 and 5µm. Other wavelengths are blocked by the atmosphere. 

Edited by rabas
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1