Problem With New Glasses

Bangkok Barry

I recently got new glasses from what I assume is the top company as they are located in every town in the country. And, if anything, they are less effective than my previous pair. The staff smile a lot but don't really seem to have an answer, and of course getting anyone in Thailand to admit they made a mistake is impossible.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could do now? Do I just swallow a 20,000 baht loss and start again somewhere else?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe you have an astigmatism? If so it's harder to get an accurate prescription or a good pair of glasses - especially if you're over 55. 

I got a new pair of glasses 2 months ago, a little better than my last pair but it doesn't quite correct for my astigmatism. Might be time to go see an ophthalmologist. 

If Zenni is available in Thailand, that's what I'd recommend.  Make sure your prescription is correct.  Tell them you need the script to order a dive mask if they don't want to give it to you.  Then get on the Zenni website and have at it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

If Zenni is available in Thailand, that's what I'd recommend.  Make sure your prescription is correct.  Tell them you need the script to order a dive mask if they don't want to give it to you.  Then get on the Zenni website and have at it.

Zenni IS available here. 

I recently got a pair but was not too happy with them. I chatted and was told to adjust the nose pads, which I did not want to do as it would invalidate the warranty. They agreed and sent me a full refund, and told me to dump the pair.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

The problem with zenni is you have to use their cheap frames.

I've been extremely happy with mine.  One pair of polarized sunglasses and one pair of progressive reading glasses.  Less than 1/2 the price of the Walmart optical shop (Texas), and about 1/4 of what I paid for a pair in Thailand.

I have had reading glasses , and prescription driving glasses made for me by the top shop which you are referring to. They do their eye testing in store , check my prescription , check against my older glasses - and the finished product - it is always okay - but not quite as good as the pair they were replacing. A lens fell out of one pair after 2 days! They did fix that, but it was a 1 week turnaround..

My eyesight has not deteriorated, I just needed to replace glasses because they were scratched or damaged.

I no longer go to the Top shop.

I have bought better and Much cheaper glasses from Zenni. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I recently got new glasses from what I assume is the top company as they are located in every town in the country. And, if anything, they are less effective than my previous pair. The staff smile a lot but don't really seem to have an answer, and of course getting anyone in Thailand to admit they made a mistake is impossible.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could do now? Do I just swallow a 20,000 baht loss and start again somewhere else?

Did the shop give you an eye exam and write a prescription, or did you take your old prescription with you?  If the shop did it, was it a trained profession (hah) or a random clerk?

Did you get a copy of the prescription if the shop made it?

Take your new glasses to another shop (or a real doctor) and have them check your new glasses and write down the prescription.  Then have them give you an eye exam and write out a new prescription.

Does the prescription in your new glasses match the prescription given to you by the shop that made them?  Does the prescription they made agree with the one you just had done?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Why would someone spend 20K for glasses, and not take them back if they were unhappy with them? 

I did take them back and they say they don't know why there's a problem. How would you deal with that?

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Did the shop give you an eye exam and write a prescription, or did you take your old prescription with you?  If the shop did it, was it a trained profession (hah) or a random clerk?

Did you get a copy of the prescription if the shop made it?

Take your new glasses to another shop (or a real doctor) and have them check your new glasses and write down the prescription.  Then have them give you an eye exam and write out a new prescription.

Does the prescription in your new glasses match the prescription given to you by the shop that made them?  Does the prescription they made agree with the one you just had done?

Yes they did the exam, and I have the prescription on a credit card sized card. And I had in mind doing exactly as you say. But i think a check at the hospital is the first step to take.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes they did the exam, and I have the prescription on a credit card sized card. And I had in mind doing exactly as you say. But i think a check at the hospital is the first step to take.

then it would be easy to go to a real optician and get a prescription, and compare that one with the one you get from the shop.

The optician also can check if the lenses you get are what was on the prescription.

I have been once in such a shop, and all they did was check with the computer, so I walked out right away.

When I order new glasses, they first do with the computer, because that just gives them a direction where to start with the manual check

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My glasses cost 8,000 baht and are great. They saw you coming at 20,000 baht.

7 minutes ago, BenStark said:

then it would be easy to go to a real optician and get a prescription, and compare that one with the one you get from the shop.

You do not use an optician to obtain a prescription (I hope).

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You do not use an optician to obtain a prescription (I hope).

My prescription is done by the shop where I buy my glasses, but I understand already that you want to play the, you should use the correct English term for everything.

So I should have said optometrist. Fine for you now?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My prescription is done by the shop where I buy my glasses, but I understand already that you want to play the, you should use the correct English term for everything.

So I should have said optometrist. Fine for you now?

Actually not all shops will even have an optometrist (this is a new degree field for Thailand) so best to make sure if using a shop.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Depends on the type of lens and prescription you have, doesn't it. One size doesn't fit all.

Well I have owned at least 6 pairs and never paid 20,000 baht. When you receive them you wear them in the shop to make sure all is ok before final payment. Normally a deposit of 50% is paid upfront.

Not sure why you paid 100% and never checked they were ok first.

• Sad 1