Greenland has lost ice 36 times the size of New York. That’s a huge problem for the planet

Social Media

4 minutes ago, johng said:

That doesn't make any sense, if we are in a natural cooling cycle why do you ( the climatologist) claim the climate is warming.

(man made Co2)

And if it where cooling then the desert world turn green again.. no ??

Surely the period between ice ages (inter glacial)  is warmer than during the full on ice age ?  which is what we are seeing presently.

we'll know for sure in another 50,000 years or so.

here a bit from the apparently reliable source  Wikipedia

"During interglacials, such as the present one, the climate warms and the tundra recedes polewards following the ice sheets. Forests return to areas that once supported tundra vegetation.

Interglacials and glacials coincide with cyclic changes in Earth's orbit. Three orbital variations contribute to interglacials. The first is a change in Earth's orbit around the Sun, or eccentricity. The second is a shift in the tilt of Earth's axis, or obliquity. The third is the wobbling motion of Earth's axis, or precession.[1] "

It actually makes perfect sense. At some point the warming ends and the cooling starts. What you have repeatedly demonstrated is that you don't understand the concept of rates. Warming occurred over the past 7000-8000 years. If it ordinarily the global climate would on average have started to cool, the relatively rapid rise in greenhouse gases contributed by human activity would reverse that expected gradual fall in temperature.

Most scientists agree that orbital variations are responsible in large part for this latest ice age era. But they take place on cycles of 10's of thousands of years. At a comparatively slow rate. Once again, you fail to grasp the importance  of the concept of rates.

17 hours ago, G_Money said:

You seem to be quite obsessed with this question asking me numerous times.  I guess my replies have not been specific enough.

I’ll make you a deal.

I answer your question when you answer mine.

1.  Should Al Gore and John Kerry be leading by example by forfeiting their jets in the name of saving the planet from Greenhouse gases?

A simple is fine, no need for a thesis.

Is this your idea of a scientific question? I,  for one, don't see what it has to do with science. Maybe you should get added a new topic about the alleged hypocrisy of the wealthy and powerful instead of trying to push your irrelevant agenda here.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Once again, you fail to grasp the importance  of the concept of rates.

You fail to grasp that the periods of cooling and warming are not

"set in stone"  there can be thousands of years in variation.

Human activity may have an effect or may not, all we have at the moment is computer modeling and scientist "best guesses" (hypothesis)

P.S  as we live in closed biosphere  where is all this "extra" Co2

coming from ?  (it's been with us from the beginning)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, johng said:

You fail to grasp that the periods of cooling and warming are not

"set in stone"  there can be thousands of years in variation.

Human activity may have an effect or may not, all we have at the moment is computer modeling and scientist "best guesses" (hypothesis)

Once again you miss the key point. The variation may be in thousands of years but not decades. It's all about rates.

In the 70's as climatological science became a discipline the overwhelming consensus was that warming would occur. Not only that, but most of the predictions were astonishingly accurate.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2019GL085378

As for your CO2 observation, I have to ask "Are you serious?) The additional  "C" in CO2 is carbon, and it comes from fossil fuels. The "O" is oxygen which comprises roughly 21 percent of the atmosphere.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, johng said:

That doesn't make any sense, if we are in a natural cooling cycle why do you ( the climatologist) claim the climate is warming.

(man made Co2)

And if it where cooling then the desert world turn green again.. no ??

First, let me make an observation:

Most Deniers here don't seem to understand the basics of climatology, they are just supplied carbon dio with talking points, and post them here. They don't seem to know that their talking points display an ignorance of high school science.

Getting to the point, human produced carbon dioxide is generating so much warming that it overwhelms the natural forces cooling the planet. Its like trying to use air conditioning while your house is on fire, the warming more than cancels the cooling.

But don't take my word for it, here is NASA's take:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/climateqa/if-earth-has-warmed-and-cooled-throughout-history-what-makes-scientists-think-that-humans-are-causing-global-warming-now/

natural_anthropogenic_models_narrow.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, johng said:

The extra CO2 comes from human production.

The normal CO2 level is 280 ppm. Human production has raised the level to 400+ ppm over the last 100 years.

As a result, the atmosphere is warming.

26 minutes ago, johng said:

This is like trying to prove that sex causes pregnancy here in this forum.

There is a science called "Biology" that explains it, and Real Life observations.

Same with global warming.

The buildup of CO2 is observed, and the science says that warming occurs when CO2 increases. And that is what is happening.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

And if it where cooling then the desert world turn green again.. no 

Generally speaking, cooling promotes desertification. Generally.

But warming may create short term desertification simply by changing weather patterns.

Still, the overall impact of warming is to increase rainfall. So places like Death Valley may get a lot wetter over the next 100 years.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Water vapour. Oceans warming produce more water vapour.

You are correct. 

I could ask you why the oceans are warming. You would probably say because the atmosphere is warming.

Human produced carbon dioxide is warming the atmosphere. Which warms the rest of the planet.

Have a nice day.

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You are correct. 

I could ask you why the oceans are warming. You would probably say because the atmosphere is warming.

Human produced carbon dioxide is warming the atmosphere. Which warms the rest of the planet.

Have a nice day.

As long as you fail to post any proof it's all just your opinion.

You post as though the sole source of CO2 is from human activity which is a nonsense.

The planet has had climate change for almost it's entire existence without any human input, yet now it's all about us, LOL

IMO humans are just a passing species anyway. Whether we depart a millennia sooner or later is of little significance on a cosmic level.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As long as you fail to post any proof it's all just your opinion.

You post as though the sole source of CO2 is from human activity which is a nonsense.

The planet has had climate change for almost it's entire existence without any human input, yet now it's all about us, LOL

IMO humans are just a passing species anyway. Whether we depart a millennia sooner or later is of little significance on a cosmic level.

He already has posted proof. Isn't there a saying somewhere about leading a horse to water but....?

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps Oswald liked flying a private jet. He was, after all, the best shot on the planet, so flying a jet should have been a piece of cake for him.

From what I’ve read about him he was basically poor and had a hard time financially.

Private jets not likely.

Edited by G_Money

On 2/20/2024 at 5:01 PM, placeholder said:

Is this your idea of a scientific question? I,  for one, don't see what it has to do with science. Maybe you should get added a new topic about the alleged hypocrisy of the wealthy and powerful instead of trying to push your irrelevant agenda here.

Good idea and I’ll make sure I remind you to start a new thread when you go off topic.

Deal?

And you’re in the running for the numero uno award for the greatest scientist on the thread.

Edited by G_Money

15 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Good idea and I’ll make sure I remind you to start a new thread when you go off topic.

Deal?

And you’re in the running for the numero uno award for the greatest scientist on the thread.

Just not sure you would know when a thread went off topic.

And if it depends on your judgement that I am in the running for that award, that would automatically disqualify me.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The sole source of the *additional* CO2 in the atmosphere now is human activity.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/how-do-we-know-build-carbon-dioxide-atmosphere-caused-humans

@Yellowtail will confirm, depending on whether his memory works today.

Edited by Danderman123