Families of Israeli hostages file war crimes complaint against Hamas in The Hague

Social Media

image.png

Families of Israeli hostages held by Hamas have taken a significant step in their pursuit of justice by filing a war crimes complaint against the terror organization at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague. This bold move, led by the Hostages and Missing Families Forum, marks a pivotal moment in the ongoing struggle to hold Hamas accountable for its brutal actions.

Over the course of the past four months, lawyers representing the hostages' relatives have meticulously prepared a legal submission demanding the issuance of arrest warrants against the leadership of Hamas for the atrocities committed during the October 7th assault. The complaint alleges grave offenses such as kidnapping, sexual violence, torture, and other heinous acts perpetrated against the hostages.

image.png

On the day of submission, around 100 representatives of the families, accompanied by several dozen lawyers, are expected to file the complaint at the ICC. Their goal is clear: to secure justice for the victims and their families and to apply pressure on Hamas to release the remaining hostages held in Gaza.

Dr. Shelly Aviv Yeini from the Minerva Center for the Rule of Law under Extreme Conditions at the University of Haifa, along with attorney Yuval Sasson from the Meitar Law Offices firm, spearheaded the effort to draft the complaint. The involvement of legal experts and human rights organizations underscores the seriousness of the allegations and the determination to pursue accountability.

The complaint is not only a legal maneuver but also a symbolic act of defiance against impunity and injustice. It sends a strong message to Hamas that its actions will not go unpunished and that the international community stands in solidarity with the victims of terrorism.

While the road to justice may be long and arduous, the submission of this complaint represents a crucial step forward in the fight against impunity for war crimes. It demonstrates the resilience and determination of the families of the hostages and serves as a beacon of hope for all those seeking accountability and justice in the face of violence and terror.

Source

image.png

• Thanks 1

Horrific

While you are reading this, 134 hostages are being held captive in Gaza in horrific conditions. They are being starved. Emotionally and physically abused. Denied medical care. For 134 men, women, children and their families, time has stood still since October 7th. Every minute counts. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Jeff the Chef said:

Nice bit of flannel, as Hamas are not the P.A. I doubt the Court has jurisdiction and how can Israeli citizens complain to the Court when the Country they are from has not ratified the Rome Statute, as stated in the piece.

The Palestinian Authority accepted the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court in 2015, giving the court jurisdiction over Palestinian citizens in Palestinian territories, including Gaza. Israel has not ratified the Rome Statute, which established the ICC, and therefore sees itself as not subject to the court’s jurisdiction.

Another one who can't tell the difference between ICJ and ICC. You do realize that the Chief Prosecutor of ICC has already visited Israel in regards to this?

Nov 30 (Reuters) - International Criminal Court (ICC) chief prosecutor Karim Khan is visiting Israel at the request of Israeli survivors and the families of victims of the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks from Gaza, the court said on Thursday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/icc-prosecutor-visit-israel-request-oct-7-hamas-attack-victims-2023-11-30/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another one who can't tell the difference between ICJ and ICC. You do realize that the Chief Prosecutor of ICC has already visited Israel in regards to this?

Nov 30 (Reuters) - International Criminal Court (ICC) chief prosecutor Karim Khan is visiting Israel at the request of Israeli survivors and the families of victims of the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks from Gaza, the court said on Thursday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/icc-prosecutor-visit-israel-request-oct-7-hamas-attack-victims-2023-11-30/

Very good, accuse me of not reading a piece and then try to imply the ICC are visiting Israel in relation to the charges, but Reuters said: The visit will not be investigative, the ICC said, adding that it "represents (an) opportunity to express sympathy for all victims and engage in dialogue."

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Very good, accuse me of not reading a piece and then try to imply the ICC are visiting Israel in relation to the charges, but Reuters said: The visit will not be investigative, the ICC said, adding that it "represents (an) opportunity to express sympathy for all victims and engage in dialogue."

Check again:

And one can't watch videos of innocent Israelis being hunted down on a Saturday morning at a party and not pause to think for a moment at the hatred and the cruelty that underpinned those attacks. These acts that we saw on the 7th of October are not acts that accord with our humanity. They are acts that are repugnant to any person that believes in God. They're the most un-Islamic acts and cannot be committed in the name of a religion whose very name is peace.

As I stated five days after the attacks that took place on the 7th of October, we have jurisdiction over crimes committed by the nationals of state parties. And therefore that jurisdiction continues over any Rome Statute crimes committed by Palestinian nationals or the nationals of any state parties on Israeli territory, if that is proven. And whilst Israel is not a member of the ICC, I stand ready to work with state parties and non-state parties alike in pursuit of accountability. My primary and indeed my only objective must be to achieve justice for the victims and to uphold my own solemn declaration under the Rome Statute as an independent prosecutor, impartially looking at the evidence and vindicating the rights of victims whether they are in Israel or Palestine.

https://www.icc-cpi.int/news/statement-icc-prosecutor-karim-khan-kc-cairo-situation-state-palestine-and-israel

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Check again:

And one can't watch videos of innocent Israelis being hunted down on a Saturday morning at a party and not pause to think for a moment at the hatred and the cruelty that underpinned those attacks. These acts that we saw on the 7th of October are not acts that accord with our humanity. They are acts that are repugnant to any person that believes in God. They're the most un-Islamic acts and cannot be committed in the name of a religion whose very name is peace.

As I stated five days after the attacks that took place on the 7th of October, we have jurisdiction over crimes committed by the nationals of state parties. And therefore that jurisdiction continues over any Rome Statute crimes committed by Palestinian nationals or the nationals of any state parties on Israeli territory, if that is proven. And whilst Israel is not a member of the ICC, I stand ready to work with state parties and non-state parties alike in pursuit of accountability. My primary and indeed my only objective must be to achieve justice for the victims and to uphold my own solemn declaration under the Rome Statute as an independent prosecutor, impartially looking at the evidence and vindicating the rights of victims whether they are in Israel or Palestine.

https://www.icc-cpi.int/news/statement-icc-prosecutor-karim-khan-kc-cairo-situation-state-palestine-and-israel

Can I suggest you read this: 

#Explainer: The Israel-Hamas War and the International Criminal Court

https://www.jurist.org/features/2024/01/25/explainer-the-israel-hamas-war-and-the-international-criminal-court/

1 minute ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Can I suggest you read this: 

#Explainer: The Israel-Hamas War and the International Criminal Court

https://www.jurist.org/features/2024/01/25/explainer-the-israel-hamas-war-and-the-international-criminal-court/

Why, that is not from the ICC, I gave you a direct link to the ICC and what the chief prosecutor Karim Khan is doing on this case and has indeed been investigating for the last 2 years. I am sure the multiple lawyers who have traveled to the Hague on Wednesday with all their evidence to hand over to Karim Khan will have been up to speed with the actual law regarding this.

More from Khan and his investigations which also include against Israel.

Khan said his probe “is being taken forward as a matter of the utmost urgency, with a view to bringing to justice those responsible” for crimes falling under the court’s founding treaty, the Rome Statute.

He also called for “the immediate release of all hostages. This also represents an important focus of our investigations.”

https://archive.ph/aRwcV

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/02/14/israel-palestinians-hostages-hamas-icc/c4afedec-cb22-11ee-aa8e-1e5794a4b2d6_story.html

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I take it you've got a problem reading the OP. They have taken the case to the ICC, not the ICJ. The ICC can issue arrest warrants for the leaders of Hamas. 

Yes, I'm sure sitting on the naughty step is all you'd wish for.

The ICC has NO enforcement arm. They must rely on the cooperation of sovereign nations national police to enforce any warrant they issue. Hamas IS Gaza's government AND police force. 

Do you see the problem with your statement?

Also very possible it was a typo by the poster you responded to. Why so agro? 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, mikebike said:

The ICC has NO enforcement arm. They must rely on the cooperation of sovereign nations national police to enforce any warrant they issue. Hamas IS Gaza's government AND police force. 

Do you see the problem with your statement?

Also very possible it was a typo by the poster you responded to. Why so agro? 

Yes, I know but it has more enforcement than the ICJ in terms of international arrest warrants, you may have noticed that Hamas leaders tend not to be in Gaza & Israel is doing its best to apprehend those that are left there. Besides this, the objective of this is justice for the families and their right to have a case heard. Sounds like you'd prefer they wouldn't have this right? Why would that be?

• Sad 1

More waffle from you, do you agree that both Israel hostage families have the same rights as Palestinian families with regard to justice for all arising from this conflict?

Waffle? to support the families in justice? Another that seems they'd rather not get this.

This is not about Palestinian families. As in the links I provided that is a different case and in a different topic so if you want my views yet again on those go back there. 

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I take it you've got a problem reading the OP. They have taken the case to the ICC, not the ICJ. The ICC can issue arrest warrants for the leaders of Hamas. 

Yes, I'm sure sitting on the naughty step is all you'd wish for.

If that. The River to the Sea Brigade generally justifies October 7 as resistance.

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Waffle? to support the families in justice? Another that seems they'd rather not get this.

This is not about Palestinian families. As in the links I provided that is a different case and in a different topic so if you want my views yet again on those go back there. 

And I quote from your Reuters link:

The visit will not be investigative, the ICC said, adding that it "represents (an) opportunity to express sympathy for ALL victims and engage in dialogue."

5 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

And I quote from your Reuters link:

The visit will not be investigative, the ICC said, adding that it "represents (an) opportunity to express sympathy for ALL victims and engage in dialogue."

Yes that's why he went there on that occasion. As you know from other links he is also investigating and receiving more evidence from families as we speak. I know you'd rather this wasn't happening but it is.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes that's why he went there on that occasion. As you know from other links he is also investigating and receiving more evidence from families as we speak. I know you'd rather this wasn't happening but it is.

Not at all, I welcome all investigations by the ICC/ICJ on the conduct of both parties.

Not at all, I welcome all investigations by the ICC/ICJ on the conduct of both parties.

Yes of course you do that's why you protest so much calling my posts flannel in one of waffle in another. That this was out of their jurisdiction first, then that Khan was not investigating in another. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Makes total sense, we need to remind the gutless west who actually started the war and causes the death of tens of thousands of Palestinians. 

How, when and where did the. using your term "gutless west" start this war?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes of course you do that's why you protest so much calling my posts flannel in one of waffle in another. That this was out of their jurisdiction first, then that Khan was not investigating in another. 

Whatever, I called the OP flannel, as it's a media piece from the Times of Israel and explained why in my opening post.

Your consistent one sided view is waffle imho.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Makes total sense, we need to remind the gutless west who actually started the war and causes the death of tens of thousands of Palestinians. 

Isn't Israel the West?

Are you saying your country started the war?

19 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Whatever, I called the OP flannel, as it's a media piece from the Times of Israel and explained why in my opening post.

Your consistent one sided view is waffle imho.

It's a factual piece actually and also carried by multiple international media outlets, one of which the Washington Post I linked to on a reply to you....

You will also keep finding my one-sided view on this topic remains the same, it is about the hostages and families of those hostages. Or as you call it "waffle"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Sounds like you'd prefer they wouldn't have this right? Why would that be?

Dig as deep as you want to confirm your bias. You won't find it on this forum or anywhere else. Why do you feel the need to be accusatory, immediately, without reason? 

Anyway, I'm a realist. The ICC can do very little to nothing to the actual perpetrators of the raid - they fled back to Gaza. Israel needs no help from the ICC in either tracking, or bringing to justice, the Hamas leaders. 

It is politically demonstrative and toothless, just as was South Africa's action. 

Edited by mikebike

12 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Dig as deep as you want to confirm your bias. You won't find it on this forum or anywhere else. Why do you feel the need to be accusatory immediately, without reason? 

Anyway, I'm a realist. The ICC can do very little to nothing to the actual perpetrators of the raid - they fled back to Gaza. Israel needs no help from the ICC in either tracking, or bringing to justice, the Hamas leaders. 

Dig as deep as you want to confirm your bias. 

Thanks I will, the rest of your post is just you polishing a crystal ball and ignoring the reason for this, the families taking the action for their benefit, perhaps they do not find it as toothless as you seem to. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

How, when and where did the. using your term "gutless west" start this war?

IMO he is referencing the western leaders bending over for netanyahu. Many many thousands of western people standing up for the Palestinians and against the israeli slaughter.

I watched an interview with Roger Waters on Al Jazeera during which he called Sunak a c****n. I was cheering him for that.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO he is referencing the western leaders bending over for netanyahu. Many many thousands of western people standing up for the Palestinians and against the israeli slaughter.

I watched an interview with Roger Waters on Al Jazeera during which he called Sunak a c****n. I was cheering him for that.

Well you certainly wouldn't be cheering on the families of this topic that's for sure.