Soaring travel costs to Phuket spark tourist backlash

webfact

34 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

I was forced to go to Phuket for first week during the pandemic ..I can't imagine wanting to willingly visit the place... felt like a Turkey ready to be plucked by everybody ... never again . 

Yet here you are on the Phuket forum>

WHY??? only to bad mouth it??   Get Help!!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Same story in Cambodia, they are asking 4,500 baht for one way from Phnom Penn to Siem Reap.

Their domestic low costs airlines such as Bassaka etc seem to have thrown the towel in.

That's a different story; how many airlines fly that domestic route nowadays? I would presume that there is way more competition Bangkok to Phuket than Phnom Penh to Siem Reap.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, uttradit said:

Lanta is full of Russians too. The food is now rubbish. 

Got to be fewer of them than in the main resorts surely - no girly/gogo  bars from what I remember ? How has the food deteriorated .? We found  a few good Thai restaurants ,a really good burger restaurant "Ling Ouen" a decent pizza place and The Irish embassy had a great Sunday roast offering. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

Got to be fewer of them than in the main resorts surely - no girly/gogo  bars from what I remember ? How has the food deteriorated .? We found  a few good Thai restaurants ,a really good burger restaurant "Ling Ouen" a decent pizza place and The Irish embassy had a great Sunday roast offering. 

I found the whole island along the west coast has largely gone to the dogs. Old Lanta Town is the only nice area left.

$1,500 for my wife to come back from North Carolina. Used to be $800. Get used to it. It's not inflation, it's gouging.

It's been on my re-visit list forever, but the high restaurants are a big step down from Bangkok, and Koh Samui was such an effortless fit. May not ever make it back there.

A million years ago, I unofficially tended bar at the Reggae Bar on Koh Lanta. Many Norwegian single moms get free vacations there if they're depressed. Some of the best, most squalid days of my life.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ben Zioner said:

Never been in a 500 baht hotel. But yes Spain has Youth Hostels. Just as Pukhet has hotels at 200 Euros a night.

Phuket has 800 hotels with 500 baht rooms not youth hostels. Does Spain have 60 baht meals?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Phuket has 800 hotels with 500 baht rooms not youth hostels. Does Spain have 60 baht meals?

No tourist will have 60 baht meals At Savoy in Patong I used to pay 4000 to 5000 for two. Delicious fresh seafood it was though.

No tourist will have 60 baht meals At Savoy in Patong I used to pay 4000 to 5000 for two. Delicious fresh seafood it was though.

Milions of tourists pay 60 baht for dishes in Phuket. Millions of tourists stay in 400 to 800 baht hotel rooms.

Only a complete mug would pay 4000 baht for seafood.

Milions of tourists pay 60 baht for dishes in Phuket. Millions of tourists stay in 400 to 800 baht hotel rooms.

Why, not everyone is in your pay bracket...........🙄

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Obviously you have no idea, 4000 baht, doesn't give you lobster, if you wanted it you'd probably double that figure and than you'd wonat better wine, so good 12k for a nice dinner for two. But for someone used to dine out in Geneva it is acceptable. Tourist paying 60 baht for food aren't tourists, they are dodgy backpackers, but mind you, the Thais aren't too keen of having them here.

8 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Obviously you have no idea, 4000 baht, doesn't give you lobster, if you wanted it you'd probably double that figure and than you'd wonat better wine, so good 12k for a nice dinner for two. But for someone used to dine out in Geneva it is acceptable. Tourist paying 60 baht for food aren't tourists, they are dodgy backpackers, but mind you, the Thais aren't too keen of having them here.

Had lobster for 400 baht. You have no idea.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Had lobster for 400 baht. You have no idea.

:cheesy::cheesy:

Here is the price in decent restaurant, real lobster bear in mind that half a kilo is a small lobster, so 2500...

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 20.54.55.png

:cheesy::cheesy:

Here is the price in decent restaurant, real lobster bear in mind that half a kilo is a small lobster, so 2500...

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 20.54.55.png

Very large markup like 500%. Some people are easily fooled.

I have caught and eaten crayfish myself.  People who pay high prices for lobster in restaurants are just suckers for marketing. It never tastes as good as freshly caught seafood.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

is the price in decent restaurant,

Cooking seafood takes only a few minutes. Really no skill involved, just don't overcook it. Add a butter and garlic sauce. Very basic.

• Haha 1

Phuket - Bangkok is one of the cheapest domestic routes in Thailand. Prices can go as low as 100 baht (not including check in baggage) during sale times. Planes are not like buses, prices go up a lot if booking a flight next week.

Edited by gearbox