TAX - My salary goes DOWN?

Yodarapper

Hi, might be a daft question but who knows?!

This is my second year of a 2 year contract. I have signed on for at least another year. My net income was 201,000 THB a month, this year I am getting a flight allowance and a bonus after 2 years. As a result my tax goes up from my new contract in August. As per the calculations I have been shown my salary goes up by 1500 THB a month but due to increase tax I will receive 200,000 THB a month.

I know that's only 1000 less, however my wife's net salary was about 169,000 THB a month but she has received flight allowances for her and kids as well as a bonus all which are taxable we have been told. Therefore as per the calculations shown, she will receive 164,000 THB starting her new contract. That's 5,000 THB less.

Is all this normal?

350,000 a month net, seems pretty good to me. Certainly enough to live on and have a decent life. I wouldn't be complaining too loud, and you may get a tax refund if you document your situation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have effectively the same situation.

Due to a 40% reduction in hours Jan-March (at which point my contract ends) I've actually had too much tax already deducted. The net result is that for a 3-day week my take home has gone UP.

Not that I'm complaining of course.

I've already netted a remote-working contact on another project, with a bigger salary paid offshore.

I will of course be declaring any $$$ brought into the country and paying the required tax.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Do they pay for the tickets (monetary value which needs to be taxed, so less net income)?

Yes, they pay for the tickets.

I started working in August 2022. This is my second year.

So even though my salary goes up 1500 THB a month I am losing 1000THB per month. Like I said my wife is losing 5000 THB a month.

I am not complaining, I am very happy with the salaries. I am just asking whether this is only due to the fact that they paid for our flights and it's our bonus year?

Thanks

Just now, Yodarapper said:

Yes, they pay for the tickets.

I started working in August 2022. This is my second year.

So even though my salary goes up 1500 THB a month I am losing 1000THB per month. Like I said my wife is losing 5000 THB a month.

I am not complaining, I am very happy with the salaries. I am just asking whether this is only due to the fact that they paid for our flights and it's our bonus year?

Thanks

Nothing to do with the bonus but because the worth of the tickets gets added to your income and then taxed, hence less net income.

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Nothing to do with the bonus but because the worth of the tickets gets added to your income and then taxed, hence less net income.

Ok, thanks for answering. Yes, they have spread it over a few months...they say it's better and I suppose they know better.

They have spread it from August to December. Does that mean that after that, my salary and my wife's will return to what it was?

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Benefits in kind, the UK call it.

An old employer gave me a company car for 6 weeks, because mine got nicked. Nice mercedes SL convertible. Cost me £500 in tax!! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

Ok, thanks for answering. Yes, they have spread it over a few months...they say it's better and I suppose they know better.

They have spread it from August to December. Does that mean that after that, my salary and my wife's will return to what it was?

If you get the tickets this year too, they will spread it over 12 months. So less "damage" per month.

19 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

Hi, might be a daft question but who knows?!

This is my second year of a 2 year contract. I have signed on for at least another year. My net income was 201,000 THB a month, this year I am getting a flight allowance and a bonus after 2 years. As a result my tax goes up from my new contract in August. As per the calculations I have been shown my salary goes up by 1500 THB a month but due to increase tax I will receive 200,000 THB a month.

I know that's only 1000 less, however my wife's net salary was about 169,000 THB a month but she has received flight allowances for her and kids as well as a bonus all which are taxable we have been told. Therefore as per the calculations shown, she will receive 164,000 THB starting her new contract. That's 5,000 THB less.

Is all this normal?

..stuff of dreams..i don't know how you manage to scrape by  :whistling:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Your concern of a increase of 1000 baht on your income tax reminds me of a story of a Thai doctor that was complaining online recently that his income of 220,000 baht was insufficient.

Not surprisingly he never received much support or sypathy.

9 minutes ago, john donson said:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ... what kind of job is this... TV has millionaires...

probably expat package job.....you know....the one where you get transferred instead of arriving with your backpack and then scraping by until the rest of your life and using agents for your "retirement" extensions 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1