PM Eyeing A-List Performers Amid Taylor Swift’s Singapore Shows

webfact

4 minutes ago, tigerbeer said:

i have been to Shawn Menzes, Billie Eilish concerts with my kids. Majority were Thais. New generation thais have a huge western music following. your initial statement is not quite correct on why Taylor Swift did not come to Thailand or some other countries here in SEA. There are reasons why Swift and some other do not come to certain countries in SEA and its very politically linked. Junta, Human rights etc etc etc etc etc. 

that would be my last say on the topic.... 

Thank you🙏

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The answer would probably shock people, he said, and this is because the Singapore government is subsidising the shows at US$2 to 3 million per show, or approximately 500 million baht.

Thank you, Singapore, for keeping this middle-aged hag hidden behind a quart of make-up out of Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, tigerbeer said:

Bruno Mars is performing two nights in Bangkok. He is quite high up there. Its not true that many big artistes skip Bangkok. BTW GnR were amazing couple years ago! 

What about Murray head, didn't they spend one night in Bangkok...?

• Haha 1

Bo11ocks; USD 2 million subsidies on six concerts of this screecher - I wonder who came up with that.

Thailand in general and Bangkok in particular has simply not:
- the infrastructure of being able to put 10,000+ people into one place whereby spectators arrive/depart with public transport within decent timeframes

- the Thai audience is among the most non-emotional once it comes to international performes
- the Phooyais can (as in the case of Ed Sheeran this month) behave like wild monkeys in a cage to the tune that all other attendants are more than just disturbed 
- the ticket pricing of upto a few hundred USD is out of reach for most

........ and the Number One reason is (you are not prepared for this) ............

the bureaucracy of getting a work permit, a Thai taxpayer number which, legally speaking, can be applied for only once the alien is in Thailand. Stars arrive max. 24 hours before a performance and are out of town the day after - in most cases. Department of Labour - mental note on that! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tigerbeer said:

i have been to Shawn Menzes, Billie Eilish concerts with my kids. Majority were Thais. New generation thais have a huge western music following. your initial statement is not quite correct on why Taylor Swift did not come to Thailand or some other countries here in SEA. There are reasons why Swift and some other do not come to certain countries in SEA and its very politically linked. Junta, Human rights etc etc etc etc etc. 

that would be my last say on the topic.... 

Hm,...I would think that work permits and visa problems or the crews and musicians is to much trouble....and the usually rip offs,...are a downer as well. All crews and musicians that have been ripped off, pas on the info to other crews and musicians. at home.

6 hours ago, proton said:

This is Thailand, why should the radio have western music all over it? Normal music for Thai is luktung, morlam, phua cheewit, string etc not western sounds. People will never be demanding international bands beyond a few such as Blackpink or BTS while they have such great music of thier own, one thing Thais have a genius for is music.

Thailand does not need inflated western ego's, some with minimal talent coming at enormous cost. The few that have appeared here like Elton John, the Gaga woman and potty mouthed Cardi B have not gone down that well. For tickets costing thousands of baht Thais expect to see a show and be entertained, turning up is not enough. 

Are you speaking from experience when you say the shows you mentioned didn’t go down well? I’m sure you didn’t even show up for them. I did. Elton John was a sell out and most of those that attended were Thai’s and yes it wasn’t cheap but much cheaper than seeing them in a western country. Not everyone in Thailand stick to their traditional music which by the way I listen myself. They want to broaden their music tastes which I’m guessing you don’t have. 

12 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Keep Trying. Never gonna happen. All the big bands skip BKK. It doesn't have the venues nor big enough audience for them. Rolling Stones have known this for years and have never played in BKK, knowing they can pack them in Tokyo. Also Thais are not into many of the bands that make it globally. 

They nearly did, had ticket's in 2003ish, cancelled due to technical problems on second aircraft from a gig in India, Mick was in the first.

Off to BKK next day for refunds.

10 hours ago, thesetat said:

Given Thailands English abilities, it is understandable why they would never get such a large audience. Most Thais would not listen to nor understand the foreigner music. Those that do go to these types of shows. Those that do not make comments blaming others for this country offering less money to pay the artists to come. 

Not true

Seen Clapton, Sting, Santana, Elton John and Queen the Thais where we'll into the bands also Rod Stewart is coming will miss that one.

I don't see tourists spending a fortune to see the twerking skiny clad Taylor Swift. It's the locals and people living for more then a few weeks who may rush to see the show.

If it was Dua Lipa,that would be a different story😝. Never understood the craze on Swift...

I also find it very irritating when artists think they are divine saviours of the world. It mainly to get free publicity and do the buzz.

Artists must entertain and that's it... and we pay for that. If I want to see some alarming political opinions, I can switch on the News or read the papers.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Not true

Seen Clapton, Sting, Santana, Elton John and Queen the Thais where we'll into the bands also Rod Stewart is coming will miss that one.

Anyone see Michale Jackson back in 1996 ,he should have done two concerts. but canceled the second one, Thai media were all over him for 3-4 days known here as Michael Jackson super star.

4 hours ago, proton said:

This is Thailand, why should the radio have western music all over it? Normal music for Thai is luktung, morlam, phua cheewit, string etc not western sounds. People will never be demanding international bands beyond a few such as Blackpink or BTS while they have such great music of thier own, one thing Thais have a genius for is music.

Thailand does not need inflated western ego's, some with minimal talent coming at enormous cost. The few that have appeared here like Elton John, the Gaga woman and potty mouthed Cardi B have not gone down that well. For tickets costing thousands of baht Thais expect to see a show and be entertained, turning up is not enough. 

You gotta be joking!  they're a lot of great things about Thailand but Thai music is definitely not one of them. It's awful.

3 hours ago, paulikens said:

You gotta be joking!  they're a lot of great things about Thailand but Thai music is definitely not one of them. It's awful.

Its the main reason I am here, just got in from a great concert Ying Lee, Yuki, Lamyong, Biotoy etc, great dancers-150 baht for 5 hours. We never even paid singers gave us free tickets and Japanese fans bought us beer. Been to about 1200 concerts here over 25 years. 

2 hours ago, Mickboy said:

Coldplay perfomed there recently I think Bangkok is a great venue.

Bangkok is but the venues are not, its the football stadium or impact, which they built with no main transport links. Getting out of there after a concert and trying to get a van or taxi is murder. Bitec does not really do many then there is the Sirikit centre and Thai Cultural centre but too small for big concerts.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Most Thai music is terrible mate. 

Another one who came here and did not fall in love with the culture then 😄 its far more enjoyable than most western music

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, paul545 said:

Are you speaking from experience when you say the shows you mentioned didn’t go down well? I’m sure you didn’t even show up for them. I did. Elton John was a sell out and most of those that attended were Thai’s and yes it wasn’t cheap but much cheaper than seeing them in a western country. Not everyone in Thailand stick to their traditional music which by the way I listen myself. They want to broaden their music tastes which I’m guessing you don’t have. 

Judging from the reports in Thai media, Elton did not put on a 'show' people paying up to 9k baht expect more than a fat old gezzer sitting at the piano, madge and potty mouth were not a success either. You guess wrong

They've had Ed Sheeran and Coldplay lately. But those sets were very small, not big budget shows - it was more about the music than any sort of theatrical stadium show. 

Like's of Beyonce and Swift is it's a very expensive show to put on, and the price is premium. Those sort of big shows will probably skip Thailand. 

She could also be avoiding Thailand because her shows are all in English language and there is not a lot of that here, even though all Thai students have had six years of English language  in schools for more than 20 years.

• Haha 1