Judge orders Trump and companies to pay nearly $355 million in civil fraud trial

Social Media

Whatever Trump did or didn't do regarding his RE deals, I'd wager the same is done by others. 

How will this play out for other large RE investors in NYC? And, please don't try and argue only Trump played this game.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No one does

And if they did on the scale that trump did, they should be also prosecuted. 

But these others are not making false public statements ,

Personally I am of the opinion that if I commited a crime, I would keep quiet about it.

What do you think?  

The one big reason for this mess is trump's political aspirations. To think otherwise would be extremely naive. 

You don't think all the mega rich RE investors are reevaluating the market in NYC. Why would they want to take a chance.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The one big reason for this mess is trump's political aspirations. To think otherwise would be extremely naive.

I dont think otherwise, in fact I believe I said the same thing. 

but he opened his big mouth and now he is paying the price .

14 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You don't think all the mega rich RE investors are reevaluating the market in NYC. Why would they want to take a chance.

Apologies but I don't know how that applies. perhaps a bit more explanation how it allys to trump's situation would help me understand. 

Trump's civil fraud verdict appeal may hinge on 'no victims' defense

February 17, 20246:56 AM GMT+7Updated 4 days ago

<SKIP>

(AG) James, a Democrat, brought her lawsuit in 2022 under New York Executive Law 63(12), which gives her office broad powers to file civil lawsuits for "repeated" or "persistent" fraud. This law historically has been used to protect consumers, investors and small businesses from scams, price-gouging and other predatory business practices.

These cases typically involve many victims who lost large sums of money to businesses that exploited their poor financial savvy, according to legal experts.
Defendants in those cases have run the gamut, from chicken suppliers to crypto exchanges and loan sharks. A common thread is often a large group of victims who were exploited because the did not know any better, according to legal experts.  <SKIP>

Severe penalties in a novel case like this one could potentially be met with skepticism on appeal, legal experts said. They could also prompt appellate judges to consider whether the attorney general overstepped her authority, according to Germain.

"I think the judges are going to have to look carefully at what the powers of the attorney general are here," Germain said. "Are they so broad that any lie can put you out of business, even if nobody believed it?"

Engoron has been unequivocal in rejecting Trump's arguments, saying in a September ruling in the case that Trump's claim about a lack of victims was "completely irrelevant."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trumps-civil-fraud-verdict-appeal-may-hinge-no-victims-defense-2024-02-16/

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Whatever Trump did or didn't do regarding his RE deals, I'd wager the same is done by others. 

How will this play out for other large RE investors in NYC? And, please don't try and argue only Trump played this game.

You're probably conflating a kid stealing candy from a store with a bank robber.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Trump's civil fraud verdict appeal may hinge on 'no victims' defense

February 17, 20246:56 AM GMT+7Updated 4 days ago

<SKIP>

(AG) James, a Democrat, brought her lawsuit in 2022 under New York Executive Law 63(12), which gives her office broad powers to file civil lawsuits for "repeated" or "persistent" fraud. This law historically has been used to protect consumers, investors and small businesses from scams, price-gouging and other predatory business practices.

These cases typically involve many victims who lost large sums of money to businesses that exploited their poor financial savvy, according to legal experts.
Defendants in those cases have run the gamut, from chicken suppliers to crypto exchanges and loan sharks. A common thread is often a large group of victims who were exploited because the did not know any better, according to legal experts.  <SKIP>

Severe penalties in a novel case like this one could potentially be met with skepticism on appeal, legal experts said. They could also prompt appellate judges to consider whether the attorney general overstepped her authority, according to Germain.

"I think the judges are going to have to look carefully at what the powers of the attorney general are here," Germain said. "Are they so broad that any lie can put you out of business, even if nobody believed it?"

Engoron has been unequivocal in rejecting Trump's arguments, saying in a September ruling in the case that Trump's claim about a lack of victims was "completely irrelevant."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trumps-civil-fraud-verdict-appeal-may-hinge-no-victims-defense-2024-02-16/

What appeal?

6 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

it was nothing to do with getting news from social media, it was about collusion between the intelligence agencies, DNC etc and  social media sites such as twirtter, FB, youtube etc to basically censor 1 side of the political spectrum. Guessing your goto news channels didn't cover it, it was held at Capital hill.
the fact that a google search brings up 1 sided results about it actually proves the point further

My goto news channels covered it well. Also showing misinformation on various media outlets about this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The DNC haranging social media over BS is not collusion. It's free speech.

free speech when it suits..... twitter was great when it was left bias, now it's got more 'free speech' you all slag it as rightwing.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Roo Island said:

My goto news channels covered it well. Also showing misinformation on various media outlets about this.

but i'm sure yours are the truth tellers!!

Edited by frank83628
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, frank83628 said:

free speech when it suits..... twitter was great when it was left bias, now it's got more 'free speech' you all slag it as rightwing.

A lot of stuff on Twitter is fake news and misinformation. Same with many other social media sites.

9 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's very common for motorists caught speeding to alert the police to others who are driving too fast.

Doesn't get them out of a ticket, though.

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

One factor that everyone ignores is that it's likely that Judge Engoron conferred with other judges during the trial.

Model Code of Judicial Conduct: 
Canon 2 Rule 2.9: Ex Parte Communications

February 14, 2020

Comment on Rule 2.9

[5] A judge may consult with other judges on pending matters, but must avoid ex parte discussions of a case with judges who have previously been disqualified from hearing the matter, and with judges who have appellate jurisdiction over the matter.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_code_of_judicial_conduct/model_code_of_judicial_conduct_canon_2/rule2_9expartecommunications/commentonrule2_9/