How you use AC at night?

scubascuba3

On 2/19/2024 at 3:41 PM, JensenZ said:

I have 4 bedrooms, a huge living room, and a separate kitchen. I only use aircon in 2 bedrooms, and in my dedicated gym room when I'm working out. Occasionally I turn it on in my office if it's very hot.

This post confused some people. I primarily use aircon in the bedroom when sleeping. The rest of the condo is un-airconditioned except in my workout room when I'm using it. It would cost far too much to aircondition 240m2 of living space. Fans are quite ok in the daytime.

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

This post confused some people. I primarily use aircon in the bedroom when sleeping. The rest of the condo is un-airconditioned except in my workout room when I'm using it. It would cost far too much to aircondition 240m2 of living space. Fans are quite ok in the daytime.

My bill runs between 5-8,000 a month depending on the season, maybe you should look at better equipment and whatnot. 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

My bill runs between 5-8,000 a month depending on the season, maybe you should look at better equipment and whatnot. 

My bill runs between 2 - 2500 a month (this month 2000).  There's no way I would be interested in paying 5 - 8000 a month on electricity. Maybe you need to improve your equipment and "whatnot". I have brand new Daikin units in the bedrooms. 

I don't want my whole house airconditioned even if I could afford to pay the electric bill. I have my slide doors open relying on breeze and fans.  It's nice to sleep in an airconditioned room, but it's also important to acclimatize, so living in aircon 24/7 is a bit extreme.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

My bill runs between 2 - 2500 a month (this month 2000).  There's no way I would be interested in paying 5 - 8000 a month on electricity. Maybe you need to improve your equipment and "whatnot". I have brand new Daikin units in the bedrooms. 

It does not really seem like that much in the scheme of things, and it seems like you're spending a lot more per room than I am. 

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I don't want my whole house airconditioned even if I could afford to pay the electric bill. I have my slide doors open relying on breeze and fans.  It's nice to sleep in an airconditioned room, but it's also important to acclimatize, so living in aircon 24/7 is a bit extreme.

Yeah, I don't stay in my home 24/7, but I understand a lot of people do. 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It does not really seem like that much in the scheme of things, and it seems like you're spending a lot more per room than I am. 

Yeah, I don't stay in my home 24/7, but I understand a lot of people do. 

If I don't use air conditioning at all, I'm still going to spend at least 1000 baht per month. My 2 refrigerators, cooking, fans, TVs, hot water, etc cost at least that much. 

18 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

If I don't use air conditioning at all, I'm still going to spend at least 1000 baht per month. My 2 refrigerators, cooking, fans, TVs, hot water, etc cost at least that much. 

Even at 1,000 you're still paying more per room than I am. 

38 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Even at 1,000 you're still paying more per room than I am. 

Is this a contest now? I'm sure I use less per hour - I'd put money on it. Brand new inverter units on the lowest settings, - can't use less. The only variables are the size of the bedrooms and the BTU of the units.

Edited by JensenZ

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if on floor 16th in Pattaya I could sleep with the windows open and not get mosquitos. The windows are without mosquito nets unfortunately. I haven't had any mosquitos during the day.

13 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I wonder if on floor 16th in Pattaya I could sleep with the windows open and not get mosquitos. The windows are without mosquito nets unfortunately. I haven't had any mosquitos during the day.

There will be some but far less than on lower floors. I'm inclined to say none but that would be a bit of a stretch.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JackGats said:

I'm 4th floor Pratumnak and most of the time don't get mosquitoes, after rain they will appear, also if there's wind from the sea no mosquitoes on the balcony

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm 4th floor Pratumnak and most of the time don't get mosquitoes, after rain they will appear, also if there's wind from the sea no mosquitoes on the balcony

In theory there's usually a sea breeze during the day but the opposite during the night.

4th floor is not high but Pratumnak  is high in its own right.

Edited by JackGats

On 2/21/2024 at 9:03 PM, JensenZ said:

Correct, that's if your monthly limit on electricity is Bht1000. Add a couple of a/c's and it will double. Logical.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, JackGats said:

Usually they are not a problem if you get a mosquito net for your bed. It's mostly when sleeping they tend to bother you. If you have fans running around the house they don't bother much.

i just bought a new TCL AC, working very well, initially thought it was over shooting by 2-3⁰, turns out the thermometer was wrong, bought a new one and the AC overshoots by 1⁰ max. i have 26⁰ from 6pm then 27⁰ when i sleep, I still like a fan on, works well

I had to stop using air conditioning as it gave me sickness 

I love the heat in Thailand it's a moist wet heat not like Australia where it's a dry burning heat .

It was so hard to get used to at first ,but no way would I go back to that air conditioning 

The problem is your body will not acclimatise to the heat if you keep using air conditioning, you will sweat without it , you need to get used to life without it.

Use fans even the industrial fans are good ,but please don't let your body become weak by using air con 

Edited by georgegeorgia

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I love the heat in Thailand it's a moist wet heat not like Australia where it's a dry burning heat .

It was so hard to get used to at first ,but no way would I go back to that air conditioning 

The problem is your body will not acclimatise to the heat if you keep using air conditioning, you will sweat without it , you need to get used to life without it.

Use fans even the industrial fans are good ,but please don't let your body become weak by using air con 

Maybe just you, weak immune? no AC daytime, AC at night works well, body is definitely acclimatized, i cycle at 30⁰-35⁰ outside no problem

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Total nonsense IMHO.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Maybe for you, but for most a/c is essential.

We built in 2018, aircon in main bedroom only, none of our previous house had aircon, I do my exercise cycling running during the day, I'll take heat anytime over a cold climate.

Use aircon on warmer nights 30-40 min at 26C before 'lights out'.

Yes I was wearing a polar fleece jacket at Dune 2 on Sunday. Cinemas are the worst.

In my bedroom I have a Mitsibushi Mr Slim recommended by an industrial aircon engineer, bought 6 years ago  I set it at 26C it has a quiet fan setting and I cannot hear it in the night. Other rooms where noise is not so important have other brands Haier, Samsung the latter being the noisiest.