Non-Immigrant Visa Type O-X

(For retirement long stay: valid for 5 years)
https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-x

I'm interested in this visa (Sydney embassy) for my wife and I.

Reading through the requirements I'm not sure of a few things. Anyone know who has got this visa please...

Spouses of holders of O-X Visa will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ Visa if they do not qualify to apply for the O-X Visa themselves. A duly notarised marriage certificate must be provided as evidence.

Not sure about this part, would that be if the spouse doesn't have the $150K or some other requirement?
Would both my wife and I need $300K total?
Would this Category ‘O’ Visa mentioned, have the same validity of 5 years?

A certificate of health insurance issued by Thai insurance companies covering the entire period of stay in Thailand containing the detail of coverage as follows; In-house patients of not less than THB 400,000/policy year, as for out-patients, not less than THB 40,000/policy year. You are requested to obtain health insurance for at least 1 year.

Firstly it requires health insurance for the "entire period of stay" then "You are requested to obtain health insurance for at least 1 year". We are interested in roughly 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in Sydney. I get "free" 6 months travel insurance and I want to use that as much as possible.

For this 5 year visa, can we just pay the first 12 months health insurance to obtain the visa?

Thanks.

Edited by BaanOz
Formating

Not a lot of folk opt for non O-X.

Be aware there is newish option available LTV. 

Current LONG thread about that.

Another option is a non O based on retirement with annual extensions.

Your wife can "piggyback" on your extensions as a dependent.

Only you require funds held in Thai bank.

Here is a good thread with some links discussing non O-X

https://aseannow.com/topic/1186840-non-immigrant-visa-category-“o-x”-long-stay-versus-thai-elite-versus-o-a/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1035206-non-immigrant-o-x-visa-request-for-advice/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1164674-non-immigrant-visa-o-x/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

I think the health insurance requirement of only the 400K is wrong. In 2022 they increased the requirement to 3 million for the O-A and I just assumed it increased for the O-X as well.  The Sydney Embassy also list the O-A as 400K insurance requirement which I believe is also wrong.  I looked on a US Embassy page and it has the 3 million requirement for both.

Just wanted to point this possible error out before you buy any insurance that may not have enough coverage. When I entered Thailand they checked my insurance policy before stamping my passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an 0-X visa, the visa is a 10 year visa but you get it as 2x 5 years, my wife is not on my visa, but looking at the website at the London embassy it states,  so she would need to qualify in her own right

Spouses of holders of O-X Visa will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ Visa if they do not qualify to apply for the O-X Visa themselves. A duly notarised marriage certificate must be provided as evidence.

As for the money you need  3million baht in a Thai bank account as well as other conditions, i see the Sydney consulate does not say that, no idea where they are getting those figures from, i just looked at the link on their website and that takes you to the 0-A requirementswhere the money is in your home countries bank.  not the 0-X

You will need insurance from here   https://longstay.tgia.org/companiesox 

You need to report to immigration every year to have you bank book/insurance checked (though when i tried to do my first year report they said no need just come back when you passport expires which i did, they were not happy when i took my new passport why have you not been coming for the yearly checks? they sent me home with a note to come later this year after going through my documents line by line

My advice try the LTR ,   Be aware the money in  Thai bank will  get you 1% if you are lucky, and the health insurance is not value for money after a small outpatients claim my renewal  amounts was just  over

80 000 baht, the non 0 retirement has no health insurance

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I think the health insurance requirement of only the 400K is wrong. In 2022 they increased the requirement to 3 million for the O-A and I just assumed it increased for the O-X as well.  The Sydney Embassy also list the O-A as 400K insurance requirement which I believe is also wrong.  I looked on a US Embassy page and it has the 3 million requirement for both.

Just wanted to point this possible error out before you buy any insurance that may not have enough coverage. When I entered Thailand they checked my insurance policy before stamping my passport.

Correct. However some offices still insist on Bt400,000 and Bt40,000, Samui being one of them.

• Thanks 1

I'm on an o-x issued in Sydney. Every Thai immigration officer I've dealt with (airports, border crossing, immigration offices etc etc) now nothing about how o-x works. If I had my time over, I'd have MUCH rather had o-a. 

They just shake their head and look at one another at the mention of o-x.

They don't want to see me every year to look at bank statements, but I have found, after 3 years of o-x that it would be much more manageable. 

Keep it simple and you'll be happier with your Thai experience 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crowned said:

I'm on an o-x issued in Sydney. 

Sydney Consulate states A$150k bank statements, whereas every other source (including Canberra) says 3 million baht in Thai bank.

It would be great if you could advise if you applied with A$ in Aus bank?

(I emailed them for carification but they never replied)

• Thanks 1

OP,

My take on" does the spouse need to meet the Visa O-X financial and health insurance requirements" is Yes, the spouse does.  But the spouse does not have to be at least 50.   And if a child under 20 is involved they do "not" have to meet the financial requirement but do need the insurance.   

And if for some reason the spouse/child can not meet the OX requirements applicable to them then they can apply for another type of visa like a Non-O but must meet the requirements for that visa type and it will only be for 1 year at a time vs 5 years for an OX.

I based my take on the Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs Visa OX webpage.   

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/80939-non-–-immigrant-visa-“o-x”-(long-stay-10-years)?page=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e5&menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e6

And above Ministry of Foreign Affairs webpage still talks a Bt400K medical insurance policy for an OX visa....and so does the Thailand General Insurance Association general guidelines website where people are suppose to go to get their Thai health insurance policy to get an OX, OA, etc., visa.  https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineox

The Association webpage will say Bt400K for an OX but Bt3M for an OA.   Now some of the individual Thai insurance companies seem to lump the OX/OA visa into the same Bt3M bucket but some of them do not.  So, probably best to check with your local consulate to confirm what the OX insurance requirement actually is to avoid buying an insurance policy for Bt3M where Bt400K might be enough.

People with OX visas seem to be a scarce as hen's teeth....not a popular visa by any stretch of the imagination. 

If you have the financial assets/income for an OX visa you may just meet the LTR Visa requirements which might be a better visa in your case....a Dependent (spouse/child) LTR visa would not need the dependent to show any income but would need the following type of health care coverage for a Dependent where self-insuring is OK.   https://ltr.boi.go.th/#what

Insured under a health insurance covering a minimum of USD 50,000 OR currently receiving social security benefits in Thailand OR deposit and maintain at least USD 25,000 per one dependent in bank account balance under the applicant or the dependent’s name for no less than 12 months. 

Now your LTR visa requirements are different from a Dependents....like there is a healthy income requirement which varies depending on the type you are going for.  See the BOI website at https://ltr.boi.go.th/index.html for details.

Trying to live 6 months in Oz and 6 months in Thailand is going to be a challenge/continuing headache "visa wise."

• Love It 1

On 2/20/2024 at 7:50 PM, Pib said:

Trying to live 6 months in Oz and 6 months in Thailand is going to be a challenge/continuing headache "visa wise."

Thanks Pib and others.

We won't have the income for the LTR visa but thought this O-X might be worth considering.

Will keep thinking for the next time but right now we have just got a METV. Would would be great is if this 90 visa exempt came in!

Unless one gets an LTR visa, all these other types of visas are second to agent assisted extensions. Keep your money where it earns at least 15% and give a small portion to the unfortunate people who can't earn in foreign currencies. My friend earned 160K last year by investing his money in VOO and gave only 12.5K to agents for one year extensions.