Canadian family moved to Russia to escape ‘wokeness’ and LGBTQ+ people. It did not go well

Social Media

3 minutes ago, Purdey said:

It looks like the Canadski Feenstras family expected Russians to speak English and for everything to be exactly like Canada in every respect except without the ‘wokeness’ and LGBTQ+. Why didn't they google Russia, I wonder?

He has claimed he has been researching Russia for many years.

I don't doubt he knows a lot about farming.

I can understand getting out of Canada or the US.

Costs are too high, probably too regulated, especially the US wracked by political division. 
But for his purposes there were scads of better choices than Russia all places!

For example Paraguay and I'm sure Spanish is easier to learn than Russian. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whatever their motive for leaving Trudeauland, the most bizarre thing is that they are leaving a place, Saskatchewan, that challenges Siberia for coldest place on the planet in winter.

7 minutes ago, blazes said:

Whatever their motive for leaving Trudeauland, the most bizarre thing is that they are leaving a place, Saskatchewan, that challenges Siberia for coldest place on the planet in winter.

They should have taken the shortest flight - to Siberia. Maybe they could help fill in the sink holes from melting methane.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, xeniv23 said:

Spent part of a winter in Siberia in 1999.  Back then it seemed plausible that Russia could become democratic, actually, and integrate into the rest of the world.  Hope was in the air.  Young people were optimistic and very curious about the rest of the world.  Yeltsin really screwed Russia when he handed it all to Putin.  The winter weather was not that bad.  Rather like North Dakota or eastern Montana.  Yakutsk is a whole different thing.  

That must have been really interesting, and beautiful. I traveled to Russia a few times in the 2000s (Saint Petersburg, Novgorod, Moscow), and if times now were happier, it might indeed be a nice place to live (but I’d sure as heck learn the language). I found these cities, superficially at least, very cosmopolitan and “European.” Of course, visiting Saint Petersburg and Moscow would be like only visiting New York and San Francisco in the US; in Siberia, I’m sure you had a much broader experience (and I’ve read that Yakutsk is the coldest city on the planet). I trust that the Russians will find some way to end their current nightmare and get back on a more integrative, progressive track ...

• Like 2