How Safe Are You - Living in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

As long as I've got my 2 minute noodles I'm happy. 😊

Ha Ha, I don't think Thailand is under any threat as a nuclear target - more what would your position as a foreigner, possibly from an 'enemy' country be if anything major kicked off?

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I'd say no. Not even close. Thailand is friends with China, USA, Russia. Probably the safest country to be in. Got the 3 big guys onside.

In a major conflict, Thailand may have to pick one horse.  As I said, China is not the same 'helpless' country it was in WW2. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

Nice scaremongering. Not for me. 0.00001% chance of Thailand being invaded by one of the big 3.

The other side of the coin though is that if Thailand were to be attacked, none of them would come to help.

Not likely to happen, but whilst we are on conspiracy theories......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Biggest risk is climate change migration from neighboring countries, but because of geographic obstacles and Thailand's relative ability to secure its borders, risk is comparatively low. Thailand scores high when other armageddon scenarios are contemplated as well.

Yes, I didn't raise that one.  Its entirely possible that climate change will cause conflicts in the future but I think the immediate threat potential is someone crossing the point of no return and escalating the current situation exponentially.  My concern is Putin in particular - other countries have other voices than may temper any escalatory ambitions.  Putin does exactly what he wants and people who oppose or criticise him, face the consequences - viz a viz Prigozhin.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Any, ANY, nuclear response from any country would inevitably cause nuclear winter.

Therefore, the question is:

How would you survive a nuclear winter in either Chiang Mai or in BKK.

You are missing the point.  I'm fully aware of the effects of nuclear weapons.

What I'm asking is if members feel safe living in Thailand given the current tensions in the world and the way Thailand is likely to align.

To put it simply: I believe that in any major conflict, Thailand would be forced to align with China. Would Western expats then be considered as the enemy?

During WW2 thousands of Germans, Austrians and Italians living in the UK were locked up 'in the interests of National Security'. Some of them had lived in the country for many years.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

What I'm asking is if members feel safe living in Thailand given the current tensions in the world and the way Thailand is likely to align.

To put is simply: I believe that in any major conflict, Thailand would be forced to align with China. Would Western expats then be considered as the enemy?

During WW2 thousands of Germans, Austrians and Italians living in the UK were locked up 'in the interests of National Security'. Some of them had lived in the country for many years.

TH would align with the obvious winners, CH, who would form a pact with RU.  Game Over for USA & NATO (UK/EU)

As would the other SEA countries, meaning they could feed & energize themselves.  Few countries can state that.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

To put is simply: I believe that in any major conflict, Thailand would be forced to align with China. Would Western expats then be considered as the enemy?

I got your point.

I have often wondered about this same question which you mention here in this Topic.

If the Chinese come to Thailand to lock me up, then, at the very least, I will be able to fluently communicate with them in their own language.

However, if they check my posts made here on TV, the CPC may not like some of what I have written.

In case of nuclear winter, however, nobody will come to lock me up, since it will be too cold, even for the CPC.

We will be left to fend for ourselves.

And, also, in this case, the Farang community might survive a little longer than the Thai population, simply because we Farang can tolerate cold weather, easier.

If any Farang will be locked up by the CPC, then I think Americans will be the first group of Farang behind bars, or barbed wire.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2