Brake failure causes deadly crash at Yala wedding procession

webfact

image.jpeg

A tragic accident occurred yesterday at noon when a chartered bus, part of a wedding procession, suffered brake failure and crashed into a house, killing one person and injuring 22 others, four critically, in Yala province.

The incident unfolded on a road near a waterfall in Ban Haer, Tharn To district, where the bus, hired for a wedding convoy, was bringing guests from Pattani province to join the bridal procession. As the vehicle approached the bride’s house, the driver lost control due to the brake malfunction, reported KhaoSod.

Despite the driver’s attempts to manage the vehicle for over one kilometre, the situation forced a critical decision. Faced with a sheer drop on one side of the road, the driver swerved to collide with a house on the opposite side, preventing what could have been a far more catastrophic incident involving a plunge into the ravine.

image.jpeg
Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

In related news, a terrifying incident unfolded as a crane lorry’s brakes failed in Nakhon Sawan province, causing it to veer off and collide with roadside shops, resulting in severe damage. The accident, which occurred in September last year, left a noodle shop owner scalded by boiling water.

The driver, Phiphatt, denied consuming alcohol before the incident. The crane, owned by a company, plowed into several shops, including a pork and rice shop, a noodle shop, and a grocery store, as well as a car repair garage and three motorcycles.

One casualty was reported, with the injured woman receiving immediate medical attention. The driver explained the failure of the vehicle’s air system, leading to loss of control. Initial investigations led to his custody for further questioning. The extent of the damage is yet to be determined, but the crane company assured compensation for all damages, attributing the incident to a sudden air pump system failure.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Top Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There was no brake failure for sure... The bus have stopped several times already with no problems, only when there is an accident it is brake failure, maybe because they are speeding and think that when they stop suddenly they stand still right away. Never heard of braking distance. or people are too tired and react different than when they had enough rest and sleep. Anyway RIP to the deceased and good recovery for the injured. It is always a roulette to drive with a person you hired

• Like 1

Even from a considerable distance and only having 25 years in the people carrying business I hazard a guess that the brakes were functioning and a close look at the tyres may shed light on this almost daily ritual

The picture of the upside-down vehicle fitted with racing slicks appears to be 'the crane' crash tagged onto the bus incident. Judging from the date this is nothing more than a history lesson for the reader:

In related news, a terrifying incident unfolded as a crane lorry’s brakes failed in Nakhon Sawan province, causing it to veer off and collide with roadside shops, resulting in severe damage. The accident, which occurred in September last year, left a noodle shop owner scalded by boiling wate

When I sat my driving test 50+ years ago. I was tested on my ability to stop the van using the gears and handbrake.

Similarly, I have been teaching my Granddaughter to do the same.

On 2/26/2024 at 8:44 AM, ikke1959 said:

There was no brake failure for sure... The bus have stopped several times already with no problems, only when there is an accident it is brake failure, maybe because they are speeding and think that when they stop suddenly they stand still right away. Never heard of braking distance. or people are too tired and react different than when they had enough rest and sleep. Anyway RIP to the deceased and good recovery for the injured. It is always a roulette to drive with a person you hired

Yep blame anything except the person responsible. 

Brake failure causes deadly crash at Yala 

Yes it's Possible, that looks like a  antique Bus with air over Hydraulic brakes.

they were a real pain if they weren't Maintained All the time .

They were really bad when the vehicle /truck was overloaded ,just couldn't  slow down enough/stop.