Proposal to Put Graphic Warning Labels on Alcohol in Thailand Leads to Strong Opposition

snoop1130

Craft beer will be o.k. They just need to bring out an Old Liver Rot IPA with a blackened liver already on the can. 🙂 

It's so preposterous. There's so much good they could do to get people to cut down on alcohol but they just love their restrictive and prohibitive measures.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Charoen expressed concern that the proposed labels, which mandate graphic health images like blackened livers, fatal car accidents, and dying patients and warning messages covering 30% to 50% of packaging surfaces, could have adverse effects on tourism.

BS....

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Maybe normal alcoholic beverages don't really need the suggested lablelling. An easy fix would be to totally ban Lao Kaow, it's the reason that people up north die on the roads. Just give it a try and see how it affects you.

Drank lots of Lao Kaow with the locals no problem. It's usually accompanied by lots of food. It's fairly pure so you do not get much of a hangover. As for putting labels, most of what people consume can cause problems if you consume too much even water.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Craft beer will be o.k. They just need to bring out an Old Liver Rot IPA with a blackened liver already on the can. 🙂 

It's so preposterous. There's so much good they could do to get people to cut down on alcohol but they just love their restrictive and prohibitive measures.

" they just love their restrictive and prohibitive measures."

Maybe "they" do but this suggestion (whether a good idea or not) is neither restrictive or prohibitive.

It's intended to discourage alcohol use by information as far as i can see.

My question would be: have the graphic pictures on cigarette packages decreased the sale of cigarettes?

A quick search on this topic comes back with a lot of articles and a resounding "meh".

No clear indication that warning labels decreased cigarette use, I doubt these labels would be effective.

Edited by cdemundo

12 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Maybe normal alcoholic beverages don't really need the suggested lablelling. An easy fix would be to totally ban Lao Kaow, it's the reason that people up north die on the roads. Just give it a try and see how it affects you.

The reason Lao khow is so cheap is to stop the Thai villagers making their own, which probably kills even more people...

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

regarding graphic packaging labels for alcoholic beverages.

Just imagine labels like this - 

Alcohol packaging should carry graphic health warnings, urge ...

on a bottle of this - 

Most Expensive Champagnes in the World

The Hi So's will not be pleased - I am sure!

• Haha 1

What does it matter? We are desensitized to graphic content by our excessive media consumption, and everybody already knows that too much booze kills.

It will just become a source of comedy, like the cigarette warnings that had men buying the pack that warned against potential harm to a fetus, saying I can't get pregnant so these can't harm me. 

Nobody gives a <deleted>, and it won't affect sales either way. Either you are inclined to drink or you are not. Stickers don't change minds, education does. Booze is already on the out, current generations drink far less than previous, if at all.      

2 hours ago, brommers said:

my drinking affects no-one but me

Say it real loud, maybe it will become true.

2 hours ago, brommers said:

The problem of alcohol related driving accidents is more a pedestrian issue than a driver one

it would seem you are drunk now.

• Agree 1

Putting aside drunk driving which is a Thai social issue almost impossible to fix without a Government & RTP interest & investment to do so,

the Lao Khao issue on health grounds is massive.

The <deleted>e is just pure white spirits distilled from unwanted rice,(& possibly other fermenting rotten fruit or veg)

the worst type of alcohol to consume

• Like 1