Im having sleep problems. Any issues with taking Magnesium every night?

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Could you explain the difference between reading a book in paperback form, and reading the same book on a smartphone?

Go talk to a doctor!

The brain works differently with print and screens!

3 hours ago, Sofaking said:

Where are you getting Ambien over the counter? I've asked at few places and been told "no have, need to go to the hospitial".

You were told correctly, by law. And now completely off market in Thailand (though some hospitals might still have residual stock).

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Could you explain the difference between reading a book in paperback form, and reading the same book on a smartphone?

I read elsewhere (in French) that the risk of certain sleep disorders increases up to ten times when nighttime screen use exceeds two hours, so it is better to avoid reading on a smartphone, computer screen, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some people take different stuff to be able to fall asleep with no trouble, I don't take any of those. I drink at least 3 liter of water daily (with recent heat I try to drink water even more) and never eat after 6 Pm, no vitamins, medicines or supplements in evenings. By the time I get in bed all extras are washed away from my system. 
I do not eat foods high in sodium or sugar. 

6 hours ago, SportRider said:

The trick is to break the cycle, and find your nightly routine that lets you get enough quality sleep without medication as a long term solution.

Melatonin and magnesium pills don't really do anything for me.

What does work is Stilnox.  You can buy a strip of 10mg over the counter in Thailand.

10mg gives 8 hrs sleep (ish).  Half a tablet ie 5mg is perfect for a solid 4hrs.

Just keeping it by my bed, not taking it, helps me sleep better because if I wake at 2pm and dont fall asleep again naturally I have a plan B.  Just knowing it's there helps me relax!

It's 'clean' ie no drowsiness in the morning.

It really works. Avoid alcohol.  

Known as Ambien in USA.

Well, it seems unlikely to me that you bought Stilnox OTC in Thailand.  I guess it is possible that someone was selling smuggled Indian Stilnox.  Just curious, how much did you pay and where was it?  I have seen pharmacists in tourist areas sell people antihistamines for sleep when they ask for Xanax and tell them they are getting "same same" Xanax.   

• Agree 1

On 2/29/2024 at 7:23 AM, advancebooking said:

A sleep expert on Diary of a CEO youtube channel suggested against taking Melatonin pills. 💊  He gave a stern warning against taking that hormone. 

I tried taking melatonin last week.

I had horrible headaches for 3 days after.

It was the worst thing I ever tried and I will not be trying it ever again. 

It felt absolutely horrible. 

38 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I tried taking melatonin last week.

I had horrible headaches for 3 days after.

It was the worst thing I ever tried and I will not be trying it ever again. 

It felt absolutely horrible. 

Just a thought. It might be just a coincidence, not caused by Melatonin. Where did you buy it, it might not be Melatonin at all because this side effect is not really known.

20 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Melatonin works great, it is just not recommended as a long-term solution, however usually when you break the current negative trend, it stays ok once you stop after a while. But I would recommend to just eat some edibles, weed, you will sleep like a rock. You will thank me when you wake up rested.

where to buy? what brand? how much mg... I really would love to try edibles...

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Go talk to a doctor!

The brain works differently with print and screens!

blue light !!!! keeps you awake

MD knows nothing about supplements, only know how to prescribe chemical pills and they all have side effects, dementia could be one...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, SportRider said:

The trick is to break the cycle, and find your nightly routine that lets you get enough quality sleep without medication as a long term solution.

Melatonin and magnesium pills don't really do anything for me.

What does work is Stilnox.  You can buy a strip of 10mg over the counter in Thailand.

10mg gives 8 hrs sleep (ish).  Half a tablet ie 5mg is perfect for a solid 4hrs.

Just keeping it by my bed, not taking it, helps me sleep better because if I wake at 2pm and dont fall asleep again naturally I have a plan B.  Just knowing it's there helps me relax!

It's 'clean' ie no drowsiness in the morning.

It really works. Avoid alcohol.  

Known as Ambien in USA.

Sedatives and sleeping tablets, like Stilnox/Zolpidem haven't been OTC in Thailand for at least 25 years. Pharmacies aren't even allowed to stock them. Only hospitals are legally allowed to prescribe them. 

In Cambodia they are still sold freely. 

34 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

do I have to fast for that one and do in the morning?

No. Can do anytime and no need to fast. 

Get both total and free testosterone.  

In Pattaya can do here 

https://www.maximumclinic.com/male-hormone-replacement-therapy/low-testosterone/

And here

https://dr-olivier-clinic.com/testosterone-andropause/

21 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Cannabis edibles.

I think these are excellent for a good nights sleep... but I don't think they are something I would want to be taking habitually... 

I may have it wrong, but if taking regularly we may need a greater 'dose' to have the same affect... 

That said, I think if someone is open minded its a good option to have has a backup.

Why ?... I think a lot of sleep problems may come from sleep problems ?... make sense ?... no, not yet, I'll explain. 

When someone has a sleep problem, that comes to the forefront of their mind when going to sleep, and this itself exacerbates the sleep problem, which may initially be mild, but is worsened with worry.

I have this issue when I know I have to wake up earlier than usual, or need a solid nights sleep for something serious in the morning... almost as if my mind is getting stressed about the fact that the sleep I need is important, which adds a layer of 'sleep stress' thus preventing me from easily reaching slumber. 

Thus: IF someone has a 'Cannabis gummy' then there is less element of sleep stress... cos they know, if they don't get a good night sleep tonight, then tomorrow they can drop the gummy and have a good nights sleep - thus sleep becomes something not to be paranoid about and that in itself, may assist with sleep in the first place... i.e. the placebo effect of having something in the back-pocket to assure sleep....  (it just an idea, but this seems to work for me).

BUT... what really works...  plenty of exercise and not drinking - I find that when not drinking, after 3-4 days I start having a much better nights sleep and can drift off a lot more easily.....    That said, I like Whisky...  so that buggers that idea up !!! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Interestingly, a lot of fruit easily available in Thailand are very high in magnesium: bananas, durian, fried plantains, jackfruit, guavas, etc.

I have seen recommendations to have a smoothie in the evening, maybe half an hour before bed time (if you have no issues with sugar).

A good time to also put in all that nasty raw broccoli we all are supposed to consume in heaps as we age, for the Spermidine. I can report, the taste of a banana-broccoli smoothie is actually acceptable, if barely so.

This is only partially true. The RDI of magnesium for a male is over 400 mg. A banana has around 30 mg. 100 grams of durian has around 30 mg of durian (so you'd have to eat 1.3 kg of durian to reach the RDI of magnesium). The amount of magnesium in broccoli and guava is even lower. For sure, it's great to get minerals and vitamins from food and a balanced diet is definitely the way to go. However, if you're deficient or simply wish to load up on magnesium to help relax and potentially help with sleep, then supplementing may be the way to go.

Edited by mstevens
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, john donson said:

where to buy? what brand? how much mg... I really would love to try edibles...

I have tried a few different types of Melatonin for sleep - different brands and different dosages. This one works well for me, and is cheap. I like it because it helps you to fall asleep AND stay asleep. And the latter was my problem. I would often wake up a few hours after falling asleep and struggle to get back to sleep. This has really helped with that.

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01786/melatonin-6-hour-timed-release

Magnesium is vitamin and its not medicine which means that if you take magnesium it doesnt mean that your fall asleep because magnesium as well as melatonin are both vitamins and relax your body starting from the shoulders and muscles in the neck.

You write you have cardiological problem and its recommended first to pay a visit to a cardiologist to check you out about of blood presure or other medical issues in order to be sure that you are okay with your health. Maybe you dont need vitamines but cardiologist will suggest you to change your medicines or your diuretic drugs which both mantains the heart to operate smoothly. Heart is the unique only organ in our body that it doesnt exist any medicine in medical science.

The doctors prescribes medicines for other organs in our body in order to help the heart for smoothly function.

My first suggestion is you should check out also your bones for osteopenia and osteoporosis because according to recently Japanese Medical Science its impossible to someone who have osteopenia or osteoporosis and he doesnt have heart problem and opposite if someone has heart problem then it is sure that he will have skeleton osteopenia or osteoporosis problem.

Pay a visit to the most qualified person who is the cardiologist and tell him your sleep problem to take his aproval for permition for vitamins and in second step ask for vitamins to relax your body to sleep.

Close your fingers strongly in one of your hands to calculate the real dimension of your heart as it is also exist to everyone because if we are overweght it doenst mean our heart become stronger but opposite we make the function of our heart harder.

My second suggestion if you do not have any other health issues is to take daily murunoil (Mollers or other brand) one spoon and cardiotonic vitamin and taurate vitamin furthermore to walk at least 1-2 km /day with a strict daily diet program to leverage your cholisterol.

Your best friend is cardiologist doctor not me or anyone else and I dont write you that to discourage you but to help you!

Edited by Paris333

38 minutes ago, mstevens said:

This is only partially true. The RDI of magnesium for a male is over 400 mg. A banana has around 30 mg. 100 grams of durian has around 30 mg of durian (so you'd have to eat 1.3 kg of durian to reach the RDI of magnesium). The amount of magnesium in broccoli and guava is even lower. For sure, it's great to get minerals and vitamins from food and a balanced diet is definitely the way to go. However, if you're deficient or simply wish to load up on magnesium to help relax and potentially help with sleep, then supplementing may be the way to go.

Supplementing might be necessary, if the diet really does not provide enough magnesium, I give you that.

However, 100g cooked rice has 12mg, ground pork 30 etc -- something like snapper has even 40 mg/100g. With two or in Thailand even three full hot meals and a varied healthy diet, I see little problem for any foreigner here hitting 400mg of magnesium if there follows 100mg of it in a green smoothie at evening time.

The benefit of the smoothie would be, that it makes the magnesium in its natural context easily consumable at an amount one would rarely incorporate normally (who eats 2-3 bananas every evening indeed?).

Either way, if worried, I would rather eat pumpkin seeds as a snack on top of my normal diet and evening smoothie, which are very easily and cheaply bought in Thailand, than having a (cheap) supplement with likely very little bioavailability.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/1/2024 at 3:15 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I only take my Xanax with Bundaberg Rum. 😂

As luck would have it, A friend going through a divorce has gone "fu&^ it, Iam going to Phuket"... he booked tickets yesterday and will arrive Monday... with 2 bottles of OP in his luggage !

9 hours ago, msbkk said:

Just a thought. It might be just a coincidence, not caused by Melatonin. Where did you buy it, it might not be Melatonin at all because this side effect is not really known.

no, definitely not a coincidence. as melatonin is produced in the brain, it's not far-fetched that i was feeling fuzzy in the brain.

maybe it wasnt the best quality? but it wasn't fake. 

maybe if i take it frequently, my body will adapt to it.

but the symptoms were highly uncomfortable and I will try sth else next time. 

i'm not convinced it's healthy to take melatonin, anyway. 

keep being an advocate for melatonin, if you are so inclined.

i ain't drinkin' your kool aid. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

As luck would have it, A friend going through a divorce has gone "fu&^ it, Iam going to Phuket"... he booked tickets yesterday and will arrive Monday... with 2 bottles of OP in his luggage !

Lucky bugger. 👍

Bring back the empties so I sniff the fumes. 😂

Take care in Phuket, I heard there's a crazy Swiss guy kicking females in the back. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, advancebooking said:

do I have to fast for that one and do in the morning?

No. Can do anytime and no need to fast. 

Get both total and free testosterone.  Some eould advise additional tests (estrogen, thyroid) with it. Best to have done at a place or with a doctor specializing in this 

In Pattaya can sugfest

https://www.maximumclinic.com/male-hormone-replacement-therapy/low-testosterone/

OR

https://dr-olivier-clinic.com/testosterone-andropause/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 1:51 PM, Danny Australia said:

Try (intermittent fasting). It's a game changer. Has so many real benefits including improvement of the quality of sleep.

In your particular case with heart disease, a medical advice would be wise before trying this proven method.

I have been eating keto since May 2017, which included some intermittent fasting.  I lost overall about 50 kgs in 3 ranches over 2 years due t visiting the UK to see family and being unable to reliably find decent keto food.  

In my opinion, IF is about the worst way ever to lose weight.  It needs enormous self-discipline if you break the keto routine regime.

IMHO, the only way to lose weight effectively, after 7 years experience, is to establish a strict regime and do not vary it one jot.  

If you vary it much, you'll pile it on.  Monotonous, yes, but do you want to be 100 kgs plus and stuff your face with what you made you fat in the first place or bite the bullet and eat selectively and well?

I started at 102 kgs, and I'm now 65 kgs but with 3 blips when I went to visit family in the UK and piled on between 6 - 12 kgs in 4 weeks!  Never, ever again.  

Willpower and devising a workable eating routine and sticking to it is the only effective way.   Those who do IF and shovel 'normal food' down their mouths in the false belief that they are helping themselves are on a hiding to nothing.  'Helping yourself' to what you want for a short while' is just a false premise and doomed to failure.  They are just being lazy and unproductive.

Edited by Irrumator