Biden and Trump Visit Border Amid Immigration Debate

Social Media

image.png

In a striking moment that underscored the enduring complexity of immigration policy in the United States, both President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump made visits to the southern border on Thursday. Their simultaneous appearances highlighted the deep-seated divisions and ongoing challenges surrounding immigration reform, an issue that has long vexed administrations across party lines.

President Biden's visit to Brownsville, Texas, coincided with former President Trump's address in Eagle Pass, Texas, creating a dramatic split-screen moment as the two leaders addressed the nation on border-related issues.

Against the backdrop of escalating migrant flows and congressional gridlock, both Biden and Trump seized the opportunity to stake out their respective positions on immigration reform.

Biden, speaking from the border, emphasized the urgent need for bipartisan action on immigration legislation, calling on Congress to pass a comprehensive border security bill. He appealed directly to Trump, urging him to join forces in advocating for the bill, which he hailed as a bipartisan initiative aimed at enhancing border security measures. Despite past political differences, Biden expressed hope for cooperation in addressing the pressing challenges at the border.

Meanwhile, Trump seized the opportunity to criticize Biden's handling of the migrant crisis, dubbing it a "vicious violation" and branding it a "Joe Biden invasion." Trump highlighted the tragic death of Laken Hope Riley, a graduate nursing student killed in Georgia, attributing her death to what he described as lax immigration policies. By drawing attention to individual cases like Riley's, Trump sought to underscore the human toll of the ongoing immigration challenges.

The concurrent visits by Biden and Trump underscored the deeply polarized nature of the immigration debate, with both leaders presenting starkly contrasting narratives on the issue. While Biden emphasized the need for bipartisan collaboration and legislative action, Trump focused on condemning what he perceived as the detrimental effects of Biden's policies on border security and public safety.

As both sides continue to grapple with the complexities of immigration reform, the visits by Biden and Trump serve as a stark reminder of the enduring political and humanitarian implications of this critical issue. With Congress deadlocked on immigration legislation and the border crisis showing no signs of abating, the nation remains at a crossroads, grappling with divergent visions for the future of immigration policy.

Source

image.png

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Don’t be frightened you are 6500 miles from San Diego now those Mexicans are resourceful and courageous but I doubt they can swim that far now I personally live less than 20 miles from our southern border and rarely see an illegal certainly not to the vast hoards of rapists and drug dealers trump would have you believe if that man was so worryed he wouldn't have told his little poodle not to bring the border bill up for a vote.instead he sent them back for a 2 week recess as Ukrainians die defending their homeland and we still have the border snafu thanks to one person that’s Donald jhon trump period all stop

Very few Mexicans coming over. Please keep up.

• Like 1

Enough of Trump’s performative border visit. Same boring speech filled with hate and grievances. They should learn from Biden’s speech that make clear that problems like the wildfire and border are not blue or red but should be a collective effort. Trump will never understand that terminology. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Enough of Trump’s performative border visit. Same boring speech filled with hate and grievances. They should learn from Biden’s speech that make clear that problems like the wildfire and border are not blue or red but should be a collective effort. Trump will never understand that terminology. 

And as usual:

Fact check: Trump makes false and unsubstantiated claims in border speech

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/29/politics/fact-check-trump-biden-border-speech/index.html

It seems he forgot to claim he won the 2020 election! 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

And as usual:

Fact check: Trump makes false and unsubstantiated claims in border speech

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/29/politics/fact-check-trump-biden-border-speech/index.html

It seems he forgot to claim he won the 2020 election!

If Biden didn't happen to mention that the defeated bill called for allowing 1.8 million illegals in, he was the fibber in that story.  Or that, even after 1.8 million, it's up to the executive branch to actually enforce immigration laws, which nobody believes he would, based on past results.

Good to see CNN is still carrying his water, though.  Just confirms they'll continue swirling down the toilet...

Edited by impulse
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, impulse said:

If Biden didn't happen to mention that the defeated bill called for allowing 1.8 million illegals in, he was the fibber in that story.  Or that, even after 1.8 million, it's up to the executive branch to actually enforce immigration laws, which nobody believes he would, based on past results.

Good to see CNN is still carrying his water, though.  Just confirms they'll continue swirling down the toilet...

Yet it was a bipartisan Senate bill. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Immigration will be a big issue come election time and biden has failed miserably. He can't lie his way out of this one. 

This is where we are because of biden's inept border policies. Shame on you biden for not doing your job.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/arizona-bill-shoot-kill-migrants-property-trespass-border-rcna141147

Under a bill advancing in the Arizona Legislature, a property owner would be able to kill or threaten to kill people who cross their property to illegally enter the U.S.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Very few Mexicans coming over. Please keep up.

I’m well aware that most are south Americans with a few Haitians and others sprinkled in the VAST majority are seeking asylum and an opportunity at improving their lives our laws as written offer them succor as their asylum cases are determined.your man trump stopped any new tools being added to legally help stem the flow agreed to in the senate as our system is supposed to work,your man is the impediment not Joe Biden no more no less now the mess belongs squarely with Donald jhon trump and the spineless republicans in the house who are to terrified to bring it to a vote

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Immigration will be a big issue come election time and biden has failed miserably. He can't lie his way out of this one. 

This is where we are because of biden's inept border policies. Shame on you biden for not doing your job.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/arizona-bill-shoot-kill-migrants-property-trespass-border-rcna141147

Under a bill advancing in the Arizona Legislature, a property owner would be able to kill or threaten to kill people who cross their property to illegally enter the U.S.

While I have some sympathy for such a bill, I can't imagine it will survive any longer than it takes to be heard in the SCOTUS.

It's come to this, that it's going to be up to individual land owners to do what the government of the US should be doing. The US is indeed broken, IMO.

23 hours ago, Tug said:

Don’t be frightened you are 6500 miles from San Diego now those Mexicans are resourceful and courageous but I doubt they can swim that far now I personally live less than 20 miles from our southern border and rarely see an illegal certainly not to the vast hoards of rapists and drug dealers trump would have you believe if that man was so worryed he wouldn't have told his little poodle not to bring the border bill up for a vote.instead he sent them back for a 2 week recess as Ukrainians die defending their homeland and we still have the border snafu thanks to one person that’s Donald jhon trump period all stop

Here... maybe this will help... just because "you don't see it" doesn't mean that it isn't happening. San Diego, CA Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Here... maybe this will help... just because "you don't see it" doesn't mean that it isn't happening. San Diego, CA Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

What's your point?

The map shows the highest crime in the most urbanized areas and Imperial Beach.

Illegals sometimes walk along the coast from the border, but that appears to be a safe area. I suspect that much of the crime in IB is bar fights, it's a rowdy place. Nothing to do with illegals.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I suspect that much of the crime in IB

Where or what is or was  an "IB"?

I tried using "google" to find "IB" and got over 24million hits!

I then searched "the crime in IB is bar fights" as stated above and got over 135,000 responses!

Please can posters just  think about what country etc a person is from and who they are addressing their remarks to!

Edited by scottiejohn

49 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I then searched "the crime in IB is bar fights" as stated above and got over 135,000 responses!

Please can posters just  think about what country etc a person is from and who they are addressing their remarks to!

Imperial Beach, as mentioned earlier in my post.

Home of Ye Old Plank Inn.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Confused 1

It's hilarious that the Biden administration has been telling us the border was secure for the last three years, now all of the sudden in the election cycle it's a wide-open crisis, and it's all Trump's fault. 

Where's Kamala, is she not supposed to be the border czar? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

He' trying to impress with his local vernacular... IB is Imperial Beach... the southern most beach area in the San Diego area just across the border from Tijuana, MX

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

What's your point?

My point is that you must live with your head stuck up somewhere if you do not see the high rate of crime... and yes it has to do with other lowlife people in San Diego beach areas... but is GREATLY contributed to by the illegals that are invading.

• Agree 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:24 AM, Tug said:

I’m well aware that most are south Americans with a few Haitians and others sprinkled in the VAST majority are seeking asylum and an opportunity at improving their lives our laws as written offer them succor as their asylum cases are determined.your man trump stopped any new tools being added to legally help stem the flow agreed to in the senate as our system is supposed to work,your man is the impediment not Joe Biden no more no less now the mess belongs squarely with Donald jhon trump and the spineless republicans in the house who are to terrified to bring it to a vote

I would say you and I have a different definition of a few and sprinkled.

According to data from the Border Patrol, here’s a breakdown by nationality of the 2.4 million migrants who crossed the border from October 2022 to September 2023:

• Brazil — 27,687
  • China — 24,314
  • Colombia — 159,536
  • Cuba — 142,352
  • Ecuador — 116,229
  • El Salvador — 61,515
  • Guatemala — 220,085
  • Haiti — 76,130
  • Honduras — 213,686
  • India — 41,770
  • Mexico — 717,333
  • Nicaragua — 99,496
  • Peru — 75,719
  • Philippines — 36
  • Romania — 2,088
  • Russia — 43,210
  • Turkey — 15,542
  • Ukraine — 246
  • Venezuela — 266,071
  • Other — 172,517.

https://www.deseret.com/2023/11/20/23969404/southern-border-terrorist-watchlist-nationalities#:~:text=According to data from the Border Patrol%2C here’s,— 220%2C085 8 Haiti — 76%2C130 More items

On 3/1/2024 at 2:52 PM, Eric Loh said:

About 3 years too late despite having a worthless Border Czar assigned, Harris.

How about enforcing the laws already in place .

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

My point is that you must live with your head stuck up somewhere if you do not see the high rate of crime... and yes it has to do with other lowlife people in San Diego beach areas... but is GREATLY contributed to by the illegals that are invading.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_San_Diego

The crime rate in San Diego is the lowest its been in decades.

Someone is lying to you.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, G_Money said:

About 3 years too late despite having a worthless Border Czar assigned, Harris.

How about enforcing the laws already in place .

How about Congress appropriating some money for border security?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It's hilarious that the Biden administration has been telling us the boarder was secure for the last three years, now all of the sudden in the election cycle it's a wide-open crisis, and it's all Trump's fault. 

Where's Kamala, is she not supposed to be the border czar? 

The border crisis is so severe that Trump says it can wait until next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

What's your point?

The map shows the highest crime in the most urbanized areas and Imperial Beach.

Illegals sometimes walk along the coast from the border, but that appears to be a safe area. I suspect that much of the crime in IB is bar fights, it's a rowdy place. Nothing to do with illegals.

Crime is more than just bar fights.  Had plenty of colleagues with homes in that area that the illegal aliens would use as a one stop shopping from their backyards while transiting North. 

Rowdy?  lol.  Are you speaking from experience?  I suspect if you went into the Plank Inn spewing your anti -Trump agenda to the wrong crowd you just might exit the door head first.