Will we ever rid ourselves of The Big C., Cancer?

Some of us, not I, think that we can cure cancer.

The US gov once thought it could cure cancer.

But, the US Government, at that time, did not realize that....

Dinosaurs had cancer, too.

So then, if dinosaurs had cancer, over 65 million years ago,, and if dinosaurs could not cure cancer, back then...then...

Do you really think that we will be able to cure cancer, now?

image.png.292cdec5828c4f23fe900651b3de1448.png

So then, how many of you believe that cancer is a "curable" affliction?

Or, how many of you are scientists, is just one more way of phrasing this question.....

Best regards,

Gamma

Note:  Just like Smallpox, maybe it is God who gave us cancer.

What do you think?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So then, how many of you believe that cancer is a "curable" affliction?

What do you think?

Depends on what type of cancer and what stage it is at.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Note:  Just like Smallpox, maybe it is God who gave us cancer.

good point.

maybe if human beings get back in good graces with the gods, then the gods will wipe out cancer.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

good point.

maybe if human beings get back in good graces with the gods, then the gods will wipe out cancer.

Thanks.

Listening to this selection makes me feel less troubled.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Where is the proof?

Well, if not God, then who gave us cancer?

From whom all blessings flow.

Praise God....

All powerful!

God has the power to heal....

Right?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

An "at best" cursory understanding of the subject. 

for more detail google "Cancer and Evolution"

Will we ever eliminate Cancer? We will. when evolution is no longer a thing.

we can mitigate cancer, but we can not , nor would we want to eliminate.

what is Cancer ?

Firstly , cancer is not one thing to eliminate , it is a collection of many diseases that have a similar output.

the development of mutated  cells that divide uncontrollably and have the ability to infiltrate and destroy normal body tissue

How does evolution work? Through natural selection , errors in cell duplication result in positive survival outputs. 

So Cancer can not and should not be eliminated ,as it will affect the evolutionary process.  but could be mitigated. 

An addition to the big C issue there  are all those little Cs that are popping all over the place, as neighborhood increase in size , there seem, to be one in every neighborhood. :laugh:

seriously,

there is the additional problem that  as life expectancy increases so do the number of cell divisions and consequently  the chance of errors that could lead noncancerous cells. 

Anyway this is a take on the subject, I am sure there other and different takes.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

what is Cancer ?

Firstly , cancer is not one thing to eliminate , it is a collection of many diseases that have a similar output.

the development of mutated  cells that divide uncontrollably and have the ability to infiltrate and destroy normal body tissue

How does evolution work? Through natural selection , errors in cell duplication result in positive survival outputs. 

So Cancer can not and should not be eliminated ,as it will affect the evolutionary process.  but could be mitigated. 

An addition to the big C issue there  are all those little Cs that are popping all over the place, as neighborhood increase in size , there seem, to be one in every neighborhood. :laugh:

seriously,

there is the additional problem that  as life expectancy increases so do the number of cell divisions and consequently  the chance of errors that could lead noncancerous cells. 

Anyway this is a take on the subject, I am sure there other and different takes.   

Cancerous Comments. 

I am thinking. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So then, if dinosaurs had cancer, over 65 million years ago,, and if dinosaurs could not cure cancer, back then...then...

Do you really think that we will be able to cure cancer, now?

Best regards,

Gamma

I didn't know dinosaurs were able to cure anything? Do tell!

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, stoner said:

maybe one of the super happy chinese students you fawn over could come up with the cure whilst under the boot ? 

a.  For sure, these pitiful young people are under the boot.  This is absolutely true and absolutely VERY sad, these days.

b. There will never be a cure for....  The Big C.

c.  There will never be a cure for halitosis, either.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Cancerous Comments. 

I am thinking. 

Which explains the smoke coming out of your ears   :laugh: 

Edited by sirineou
  • Agree 1

I don't know about a cure for cancer but sugar is highly correlated with cancers. Or rather, sugar facilitates the development of cancers. Metabolic disease is frequently implicated in cancer development.

Evidence from epidemiologic and preclinical studies demonstrates that excess sugar consumption can lead to development of cancer and progression of disease for those with cancer independent of the association between sugar and obesity. The mechanistic preclinical studies in multiple cancers show that high-sucrose or high-fructose diets activate several mechanistic pathways, including inflammation, glucose, and lipid metabolic pathways.

Although human studies are limited, compelling human and primate studies have explored the link between added sugar and metabolic syndrome (MetS), a risk factor for cancer. Substantial evidence suggests a causal link between MetS and added sugar, indicating important implications in the association between excess sugar consumption and cancer. Human clinical trials are needed to determine whether sugar increases cancer development and progression independently of its established role in causing obesity as well as for further exploration of the mechanisms involved.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9775518/

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't know about a cure for cancer but sugar is highly correlated with cancers. Or rather, sugar facilitates the development of cancers. Metabolic disease is frequently implicated in cancer development.

Evidence from epidemiologic and preclinical studies demonstrates that excess sugar consumption can lead to development of cancer and progression of disease for those with cancer independent of the association between sugar and obesity. The mechanistic preclinical studies in multiple cancers show that high-sucrose or high-fructose diets activate several mechanistic pathways, including inflammation, glucose, and lipid metabolic pathways.

Although human studies are limited, compelling human and primate studies have explored the link between added sugar and metabolic syndrome (MetS), a risk factor for cancer. Substantial evidence suggests a causal link between MetS and added sugar, indicating important implications in the association between excess sugar consumption and cancer. Human clinical trials are needed to determine whether sugar increases cancer development and progression independently of its established role in causing obesity as well as for further exploration of the mechanisms involved.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9775518/

image.png.6b00087bbcc45c44bc423a177205b965.png

Maybe this is the only kind of chocolate that Lustig would approve of....

Anyway, lips that touch sugar shall never touch mine....

• Confused 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:39 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

image.png.6b00087bbcc45c44bc423a177205b965.png

Maybe this is the only kind of chocolate that Lustig would approve of....

Anyway, lips that touch sugar shall never touch mine....

PET ( Positron Emission Tomography ) scans are used to detect cancerous tumors in a full body scan.

After fasting for 12 hours, a patient is injected with radioactive sugar. They then wait  for an hour for the sugar to distribute itself through the body.

Cancer cells absorb sugar far faster than normal cells. The tumors show up as hot spots of radioactivity in the scan.

If cancer loves sugar so much, why give it what it wants?

On 3/3/2024 at 7:04 AM, sirineou said:

what is Cancer ?

seriously,

Cancer cannot be eliminated by evolution.

Most cancers occur after humans have finished breeding, so any genetic predisposition to cancer is not part of the natural selection process.

The other factor in the development of cancers is environmental exposures. It's a stark fact if one is a smoker, they are 20 times more likely to develop lung cancer than a non-smoker.

I don't know what the situation is now, but back in the seventies humans were creating about 12,000 new chemicals a year. It is inevitable some would be carcinogenic. However, association of a particular cancer with the causative carcinogen would take decades to surface.

Example: b-naphthylamine was first isolated from coal tar in the mid- 1800's. It was used in rubber as an anti-oxidant.

By the 1930's, medical researchers started noticing high levels of bladder cancer in rubber workers. It was not until 1974 that b-naphthylamine was officially designated as carcinogenic.

Humans have been consuming alcohol for millennia. It did not get designated as a Class 1 carcinogen until 1989. Back in the thirties and forties, mothers were encouraged to drink stout while pregnant.

Then there is synergism, the enhanced effect of a combination of chemicals. IMO it's going to take AI to sort that one out.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

PET ( Positron Emission Tomography ) scans are used to detect cancerous tumors in a full body scan.

After fasting for 12 hours, a patient is injected with radioactive sugar. They then wait  for an hour for the sugar to distribute itself through the body.

Cancer cells absorb sugar far faster than normal cells. The tumors show up as hot spots of radioactivity in the scan.

If cancer loves sugar so much, why give it what it wants?

PET scans don't show up Pancreatic cancer. You gotta have an Endoscopy to enable Biopsy from pancreas.

I'm Stage 4 PC.  I have a strong family history of cancers, mother had it twice, father had it twice. The Genetics Research section of the Health Department here is doing special tests in my blood to see if I actually inherited it from my parents.

If so, the current chemo treatment has to be altered.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Cancer cannot be eliminated by evolution.

Most cancers occur after humans have finished breeding, so any genetic predisposition to cancer is not part of the natural selection process.

I never said it would. 

Bu your theory  that cancer can't be eliminated by evolution is not entirely correct since as you say some can.

I said that cancer is part of the evolutionary process and  to eliminate one would adversely effect  the other. 

"Cancer development within an individual is also an evolutionary process, which in many respects mirrors species evolution. Species evolve by mutation and selection acting on individuals in a population; tumors evolve by mutation and selection acting on cells in a tissue. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3660034/#:~:text=Cancer development within an individual,on cells in a tissue.

11 minutes ago, bangkok19 said:

PET scans don't show up Pancreatic cancer. You gotta have an Endoscopy to enable Biopsy from pancreas.

I'm Stage 4 PC.  I have a strong family history of cancers, mother had it twice, father had it twice. The Genetics Research section of the Health Department here is doing special tests in my blood to see if I actually inherited it from my parents.

If so, the current chemo treatment has to be altered.

Sorry to hear that, I trust your treatment will be successful.

It's possible pancreatic cancer cells are metabolizing different compounds to sugar. Or not involved with sugar uptake at all. I doubt whether CLL ( chronic lymphocytic leukemia ) does, as that is about the body producing non-functional leucocytes.

• Like 1