New airport planned for Kalasin to boost tourism and exports

webfact

image.jpeg

Srettha Thavisin, the Prime Minister and Finance Minister, has endorsed the proposition of constructing a new airport in the northeastern province of Kalasin. While touring the region recently, Srettha indicated that the government has reserved funds for a feasibility study concerning the airport. The results of this study will guide the government’s next steps.

The district of Yang Talat is under consideration as the potential location for the airport due to its strategic position at the midpoint of Kalasin and Maha Sarakham. This location would allow the airport to service both provinces. Consequently, the proposed airport has been given the provisional name of Sarasin, a name derived from the amalgamation of Maha Sarakham and Kalasin, reported Bangkok Post.

Srettha expressed his belief that Kalasin requires its own airport to attract more tourists, boost local export levels, and draw additional investment into the province. The plan to construct an airport in Kalasin took root in June 2021 when the government initiated a public forum to gather opinions from local residents. With the proposal receiving a warm welcome, the following step was to launch a study to assess the viability of constructing an airport in the area. The conclusions drawn from this study will be presented to the Transport Ministry.

Following his tour, Srettha expressed his concern over the current state of health services in Kalasin and encouraged public health agencies to submit a request to the cabinet for increased funding. He also emphasised the government’s commitment to combating the spread of narcotics and household debt.

In related news, Thailand’s Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (AOT) initiated a 210 billion baht investment to develop six national airports, aiming to boost global aviation rankings. Thai Airways planned fleet expansion and an Aircraft Repair Center in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) to meet increasing demand.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Royal Thai Government

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1

Kalasin, another 'white elephant' project .... :cheesy:

That's one boring A$$ province, as are the others bordering.  Think we spent 1 or 2 nights there, and explored the 'area'.   Most interesting thing was watching the buffalos while sipping a few, while at a lakeside 'rustic' bungalow.  Good R&R break as was non-stop looping around the are prior.

image.png.a0634ea4fad35156679743e207644073.png

image.png.27799d71821022d96a1cafff65e674fc.png

Roi Et had a nice ice cream shop across from the lake, which did have an Aquarium and paddle 'swan' boats :coffee1:

Yasothon ... Rocket Festival

image.png.94db68e11c4b76159f390b40ae4169b4.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

That's one boring A$$ province, as are the others bordering.  Think we spent 1 or 2 nights there, and explored the 'area'.   Most interesting thing was watching the buffalos while sipping a few, while at a lakeside 'rustic' bungalow.  Good R&R break as was non-stop looping around the are prior.

Roi Et had a nice ice cream shop across from the lake, which did have an Aquarium and paddle 'swan' boats :coffee1:

Kalasin also has a unique "annular rocket" festival:

Only about 20% of them exploded when I was there!

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

Looking for an EV charger?  :cheesy:

:cheesy:

Nah, that was many years, even decades ago, though last time driving through, didn't notice much has changed.   There's a reason the NE isn't on the intern'l tourist trail :coffee1:

Enough in the area now though: image.png.88abc5097e3b8064c3dfc2d49b1c6e7d.png

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You clearly only explored your stoop.

You missed the dinosaur museum, for starters.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

Kalasin also has a unique "annular rocket" festival:

Was the only interesting thing about my visit to Kalasin years ago.

Well.... aside from the bathing facilities.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You clearly only explored your stoop.

You missed the dinosaur museum, for starters.

Not sure there is anything, anyone can tell me about the NE, since living and exploring there for 16+ years.  Nothing I'd make a special trip for, but if in the area, or live there, then regular O&As help to kill the time.

Living in Udon Thani can be pretty freakin' boring by itself.  Got to explore or you go nuts, or become an Alky.

If not along the river, or in the hills, with nice landscape, during rainy season, and just after, then there's not much of interest in the NE.

Ban Chiang (Udon Thani)

Khmer ruins restored (PhiMai, Phanom Rung)

Uncle Ho's house, (Nakhon Phanom)

And only if interested in history, which I enjoy.  A few unique style Wats.

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure there is anything, anyone can tell me about the NE, since living and exploring there for 16+ years.

If not along the river, or in the hills, with nice landscape, during rainy season, and just after, then there's not much of interest in the NE.

Ban Chiang (Udon Thani)

It seems I for one, 22 years in NE, could tell you much. 

You say you like history and point out 2 Khmer ruins. Unrestored. Yet you miss the myriad of other Khmer temples stretching from the far south of Isaan all the way north to Sakon Nakhon. 

You like history yet you neglect to mention the archeological sites of mid Isaan around Kalasin and Khon Kaen.

You say you like to relax yet miss out the plethora of lakes and the facilities that have been built on and around them. Many housing some of the best restaurants to be found.

Sounds like you need to get out of the car sometimes, during your "exploring".

• Agree 1

The girl I was banging a few years ago was from Kalasin. She took me there a few times. 

I have visited many provinces over the years but I doubt I have seen a more senseless one than Kalasin.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You say you like history and point out 2 Khmer ruins. Unrestored. Yet you miss the myriad of other Khmer temples stretching from the far south of Isaan all the way north to Sakon Nakhon. 

You like history yet you neglect to mention the archeological sites of mid Isaan around Kalasin and Khon Kaen.

You say you like to relax yet miss out the plethora of lakes and the facilities that have been built on and around them. Many housing some of the best restaurants to be found.

Doubtful, very doubtful.   I'm not going to list every place I've been to, as simply don't need to, so you can ease up on your pissin' contest.  

Here's a few for those in the area, NE that is:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1298442-leaving-the-bar-stool/page/3/#comment-18740232

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Doubtful, very doubtful.   I'm not going to list every place I've been to, as simply don't need to, so you can ease up on your pissin' contest.  

Here's a few for those in the area, NE that is:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1298442-leaving-the-bar-stool/page/3/#comment-18740232

Not a pissing contest.

I was just enlightening you on the many places you seem to have driven passed.

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not a pissing contest.

I was just enlightening you on the many places you seem to have driven passed.

NO ... places that you think I have passed, simply because I didn't list them, when not knowing anything about me.

Those that do know me, know I'm one of the more 'travelled' persons here, and been around most of TH ... a few times.  Don't need to prove that to anyone, especially strangers.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

NO ... places that you think I have passed, simply because I didn't list them, when not knowing anything about me.

Those that do know me, know I'm one of the more 'travelled' persons here, and been around most of TH ... a few times.  Don't need to prove that to anyone, especially strangers.

Once again, you appear to be letting your assumed superiority cloud your judgement of other posters and their comments. I've not asked you to prove anything.

You posted what you felt Isaan's places of interest amounted to. I pointed out you'd missed quite a few. 

As one of the more traveled persons, your words, you do appear to have missed a lot.

22 years I've been in Thsiland and I'm still visiting places I didn't know were there. Some I've found on the internet, others by word of mouth. 

Some people are happy to be interested in and learn by others knowledge. Some, it seems, are not.

27 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Once again, you appear to be letting your assumed superiority cloud your judgement of other posters and their comments. I've not asked you to prove anything.

You posted what you felt Isaan's places of interest amounted to. I pointed out you'd missed quite a few. 

As one of the more traveled persons, your words, you do appear to have missed a lot.

22 years I've been in Thsiland and I'm still visiting places I didn't know were there. Some I've found on the internet, others by word of mouth. 

Some people are happy to be interested in and learn by others knowledge. Some, it seems, are not.

NO ... simply posted a couple highlights, that came to mind.  I don't waste time, trying to explain things, especially when doubtful, anyone is headed toward Kalasin by the time the thread dies a death.

Have a nice day

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's one boring A$$ province, as are the others bordering.  Think we spent 1 or 2 nights there,

You're an expert then, after your in-depth study of the region and its economy. Anyway, you don't have to return there, but the airport isn't about you anyway. It's for the people who live there and boosting its economy. It has nothing at all to do with you.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

As far as I can tell, having an airport is the new status symbol, almost every province seems to be trying to justify one, I count 39 so far!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Thailand

The interesting thing is that while those airports do exist some of them  do not have flights, at least not for  passengers. 

Edited by msbkk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, msbkk said:

The interesting thing is that while those airports do exist some of them  do not have flights, at least not for  passengers. 

I recall many years ago, Buriram airport was only open on certain days between certain hours, all the locals used to go there when a plane arrived and departed because it was a novel experience. Entertainment, life in the fast lane!

It should be noted that the Thai airports are currently owned by 3 different government agencies and one private operator.

AOT (Airports of Thailand), DOA (department of Airports), RTN (Royal Thai Navy) and Bangkok Airways.

Each agency has its own budget, planning and priorities, hence the push for more airports, but the difficulties arise when you look at potential airlines and passenger to make all these airports cost effective.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_airports_in_Thailand

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure there is anything, anyone can tell me about the NE, since living and exploring there for 16+ years.  Nothing I'd make a special trip for, but if in the area, or live there, then regular O&As help to kill the time.

Living in Udon Thani can be pretty freakin' boring by itself.  Got to explore or you go nuts, or become an Alky.

Ban Chiang (Udon Thani)

Bueng Kan has nice waterfalls.

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Yes some other small ruins. Maybe worth 15 minutes if passing by. A lake is a lake isn't it?

Why don't you list your top 10 things to visit in Isaan.

Personally I find Isaan ok but it lacks killer restaurants.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Yes some other small ruins. Maybe worth 15 minutes if passing by. A lake is a lake isn't it?

Why don't you list your top 10 things to visit in Isaan.

Personally I find Isaan ok but it lacks killer restaurants.

Says the man who lives 2 hours drive from Makro. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Says the man who lives 2 hours drive from Makro. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Which Makro are you talking about? I live in Japan.

• Haha 2

Kalasin is a very warm, welcoming place. It's laid-back, relaxing and full of decent folk that in comparison to the people of BKK and Pattaya, are an attraction in itself.

The food is terrific and there is next to no traffic. People are too quick to assume what they know what others want. I visit 2 or 3 times a year for the tranquility, friendliness of the locals, culture from the old Chinese shop fronts and stores and price of living. It's a complete throwback to a time that many people preferred over what the modern world offers. When I'm sitting in a coffee shop up there, overlooking the lake, I honestly couldn't give a monkey's about what's going on in the rest of the world. Some people actually crave that.

A very short bike ride out of town takes you through miles of rice fields which are lush green and exceptionally beautiful on the eye. You'll pass friendly locals who all try to say hello or make a conversation. Sounds like an advert for lonely planet but it really is just like this.

There is an enormous dam there where people can explore the surrounding forest and find places to swim. If you try it you'll wonder why you havn't heard of it before. It really is that cool.

There are increasing numbers of establishments opening out in the sticks which sell food and drinks and offer outdoor resorts where you can swim, take boats or simply hangout by rivers and lakes.i find more things to with my kids there than in Pattaya. Much more places to play outside for sure.

Pre COVID there were untold pubs that offered live music and a warm atmosphere. Sadly most have gone but there's a night market with loads of pubs and food on offer plus a foreign restaurant which has been thriving since about 2015

If there's a market out there for both Thais and foreigners alike who are sick to death of the same old tourist areas, traffic, expense, and noise that Thailand's major cities offer, this looks like a good initiative.

Add to it the universities in the area who will swap busses for planes. Returning Isanians each holiday who would rather fly than get stuck in dangerous traffic and you've a fair chance at making it work.

I'd welcome another province to explore without the need to get anywhere near Thai motorways.

I'm all for new projects rather than banging the drum on the same old tried and failed plans.

• Agree 2