How smart are you really?

21 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I was pretty average at school probably because my "poor uneducated" parents never made me do homework. I also cruised through my air force apprenticeship just doing what I had to because I didn't know better.

Then went to uni on engineering degree and recieved best student of the year, then got Golden Key Honours Society for supposedly best 15% of academic performance on the planet. Then got Masters degree and retired rich at 52

Now I'm posting on a forum that other posters continue to say my comments suck. I give up as to why so many people are supposedly now smarter than me?

Could be achohol related...

You are justly proud of your achievements.

Sincere congratulations.

But intelligent people can disagree with each other, of course the less intelligent and the uninformed also have opinions.

Disagreements of all kinds occur on AN and lot of posters here are pig ignorant and proud of it.

Hence the ignore function which I have used liberally.

I have found that one of the most useful functions of AN for me is to show me what kind of behavior and attitudes to avoid.

To many of the posters here the saying applies: "You're not completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example".

Edited by cdemundo
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

Just to prove my OP was correct...

That doesn't mean chit. As far as anyone knows that poster might just trying to be funny and may have an IQ twice as high as yours......or that poster just makes posts with sarcasm to feel like he's an important poster. Has nothing to do with be smart or stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Schooling and education doesn't always mean squat. I worked around many folks throughout my career that had PHDs and one would wonder how they dressed themselves.

I came from a trade background doing the work first so actually understood it better doing the engineering degree. Many other engineer peers found it hard to understand the actual work required and many PHD's never did

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Intelligent people don't have to be nice people.

And some high IQ people have difficulties understanding how stupid those low IQ people can be.

Pretty much sums me up. I was always known as someone who "doesn't suffer fools". Could never understand why they don't get it

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

Pretty much sums be up. I was always known as someone who "doesn't suffer fools". Could never understand why they don't get it

Sums be up? :cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I am pretty smart. However, I am always conscious of the fact there's going to be people smarter than me.

Academic smarts and life smarts are different, I have a lot of the former, not much of the latter.

Some people are incredible. Such as Brian Gilbertson, a former CEO of BHP. He could do Black-Scholes option calculations in his head.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BE88 said:

Do you still use AI for your responses on this forum?

Don't even know how to. My Engineering degree in Computronics is from the 90's. Knowledge far surpassed by any 5 year old on a phone today

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolf said:

What's the point of bragging about yourself on a forum? 

This is what we all do, but in a more different and subtle manner. For example, just read some of the above comments. Comparatively, OP's comments are 'less bragging'! 

Edited by ravip