First-time traveler to Thailand has many questions

25 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

So......you have never sought the advice of human beings who have first hand experience?

Well, that's what I said. Google helps a lot. Advice from many humans, not animals.😂. Same YouTube very interesting videos with a lot of important information. And not to forget the Embassy. Funny, that you don't know all this. Are you an alien?😂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I'm sure you know Google???? Or YouTube??? All answers are there🤗

Unless you get specific recommendations for helpful videos.I would say don't waste your time with youtube; it is full of misinformation and stupidity about Thailand.

Pretty much impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff without some recommendations.

Also, as previously recommended, Lonely Planet and/or Rough Guide guidebooks are inexpensive and cover all the sightseeing and interesting attractions. They have them for Bangkok and Thailand as a whole, maybe other cities.

If you are keen a Rough Guide Thai phrase book will get you a lot of goodwill if you are good-natured about making errors when trying to learn.

If you buy a phrase book be sure and get one with the Thai words in Thai script as otherwise Thai people can't help much.

You may not learn a lot of Thai but making the effort provides humor and buys goodwill with a lot of Thai people.

But you have to be good humored about mistakes to get this effect, in other words can you laugh at yourself?.

At a minimum learn sawat dee krap/kaa and kap khun krap/kaa; hello and thank you.

For researching your hotel choices I would recommend Agoda for checking prices and amenities and use google maps to check location of where you want to stay. I usually make my reservations through Agoda, I wanted to extend my stay once and the front desk of my hotel told me to use Agoda as it was cheaper than what they could offer me.

Thailand is very accessible, you will do fine as you are obviously checking into what you need to know.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

So......you have never sought the advice of human beings who have first hand experience?

In a FIRST trip where probably 90% of posters were able to do before the internet was even popular? I'd say google should be his friend and even to find this forum he already had used it.  Most on here seem to never leave their village. Anyways Pattaya in mid April experiences an awesome wet season. Spend 10 days there! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

You are better off googling for the information you seek... it is all available on line... rather than ask the group on this forum... all you will get is complaints about how badly tourists and farangs are treated... and the constant scamming by everyone from taxi drivers to roadside eateries... 555

Also, by Googling you get all the answers in one place. I would suggest, though, that you make an exploratory visit to Thailsnd prior to moving here. Thailand doesn't suit everybody.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

So much on the internet these days is clogged up with people asking questions that the answer can easily be found by doing a web search 

Firstly, tell the wife you are going to do a pre trip scouting expedition to make sure this Thailand thing is safe! 

Secondly, find the cheapest hostel you can find, rent a ladyboy or two. Get it out of your system.

Thirdly, go back home and tell the wife Thailand is a very scary place perhaps go to Greece. After your pre trip scouting expedition, of course.

Repeat, and try the Philippines next.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 1:08 AM, franzen101 said:

Me and my wife, we're a middle-aged couple, are planning to Thailand. This will be our first trip to Asia, and we have many questions. We are not seasoned travelers, we are newbies. Here are my questions: what documents do I need to enter Thailand, is it safe to drink tap water in Thailand, what vaccinations do I need before traveling to Thailand, how do I get around in Thailand, what are some must-visit destinations or attractions in Thailand, what is the weather like in Thailand during my travel dates, is it customary to tip in Thailand, are there any cultural customs or etiquette I should be aware of.? These are my questions, I hope to get answers.

Passport

Its hot

Use Grab

Use trains

Read Travelfish

Ignore anyone who approaches you in street

• Like 2

I remember the first time I came to Thailand. I asked the same question, and by the time I got here I was paranoid. People seem to report the negatives , and like any other place there are some and you should be aware of them but put it all on proper perspective. Millions of people came here every year without having any problem. Come , have fun, enjoy!!

Of course you are going to come to Bangkok and see the Royal Palace, Wat Arun, take a boat river and see some other temples. I like Chatuchak Market , one of the biggest flea market in the world. 

Maybe a day trip with a tour company to the bridge on the river kwai. do the old train ride, maybe an elephant preserve, or a bamboo raft ride down a river, 

Agoda is a good place to get a good price in a hotel. 

Go to PiPi island for a day, Kho Samui is nice. 

Have a good trip.:smile:

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

So much on the internet these days is clogged up with people asking questions that the answer can easily be found by doing a web search 

NOTHING beats first hand, personal experience.

THEN validate/fact check by Googling.

Dont come to Thailand or any SEAsia country.  You are clearly a scammer's delight and will get ripped off big time. Anyone expecting answers to basic questions like that on an Expat forum is clearly less than a newbie.  I think Sheryle has been very kind to actually give you some information - and the other Expats advising you to use Lonley Planet or Google too.

My advice is to start travelling within your own country first - learn how to do it there first - then someplace a lot closer to home - before venturing far overseas. If you must visit Thailand then IMO you should get a package tour and only go where the package takes you. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

NOTHING beats first hand, personal experience.

THEN validate/fact check by Googling.

People frequently ask that the weather will be like and you have weather websites that give you the previous exact weather .

Every question possible has been asked and answered on line  , and instead if looking at weather websites , some people would rather ask 130 000 people the question and fill up their computer space .

But some people do get bored and just want to chat about something 

Just now, hotandsticky said:

LOL! 😉...as you have just proved ...

I don't particularly want to chat about mundane things . I do thonk that people should put a bit of effort into finding answers to questions , its a bit like phoning the Police and asking them whether its legal to swear on Television or not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Passport

Its hot

Use Grab

Use trains

Read Travelfish

Ignore anyone who approaches you in street

Open Wise account and get card

On 3/5/2024 at 10:08 PM, franzen101 said:

are there any cultural customs or etiquette I should be aware of.?

Be careful when crossing roads , don't walk into the road when there's a car coming and the car is supposed to stop because traffic lights or pedestrian crossing 

On 3/5/2024 at 10:08 PM, franzen101 said:

Me and my wife, we're a middle-aged couple, are planning to Thailand. This will be our first trip to Asia, and we have many questions. We are not seasoned travelers, we are newbies. Here are my questions: what documents do I need to enter Thailand, is it safe to drink tap water in Thailand, what vaccinations do I need before traveling to Thailand, how do I get around in Thailand, what are some must-visit destinations or attractions in Thailand, what is the weather like in Thailand during my travel dates, is it customary to tip in Thailand, are there any cultural customs or etiquette I should be aware of.? These are my questions, I hope to get answers.

You will probably get much better information if you type each of your questions into a google search.

Type them one at a time, after the answer to your first question move on and type the second question.

During those searches you will probably find the answers to some of your questions before you have asked them.

Also you will find answers to questions that you haven't thought to ask here, such as "How do we avoid getting ripped off by lovely, smiling, Buddhist Thai people?"

This will get you started on that journey of discovery:

https://yourthaiguide.com/top-10-bangkok-scams-you-should-avoid/

Have a wonderful time and don't forget to bring respirators.

Edited by Enoon

The best advice I can give you is to acknowledge that Thailand is NOT a foreign country. It is a distant planet. If you come here with that knowledge, in addition to no expectations of the use of common sense, nor reason, you should be fine. There are many 3rd world nations that are far more difficult to move around.

• Confused 1