Falang 1 Cobra 0

Snakes generally will not attack unless provoked. It's best to not violate their territory and let them be.

Best way to protect yourself is to carefully get everyone including your pets out of the room immediately and shut the door, then call for assistance. Local rescue service or fire station, depending where you live, will normally come and catch it and remove.

If you are bitten the hospital needs to know what type of snake it was, before any treatment is given.

https://www.en.siam-info.de/venomous_animals/snakes_common.html

Watched this one being removed from a neighbours last year

IMG_2255.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Snakes generally will not attack unless provoked. It's best to not violate their territory and let them be.

Best way to protect yourself is to carefully get everyone including your pets out of the room immediately and shut the door, then call for assistance. Local rescue service or fire station, depending where you live, will normally come and catch it and remove.

If you are bitten the hospital needs to know what type of snake it was, before any treatment is given.

https://www.en.siam-info.de/venomous_animals/snakes_common.html

Watched this one being removed from a neighbours last year

IMG_2255.jpeg

Have no intention of violating their territory, if they don't violate mine.

But my house is fairly open plan downstairs and in the time it takes

to call international rescue the snake could be anywhere, my greatest 

concern being it could easily have climbed into the engine bay of my car.

But thanks for the positive input and adivce.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

Have no intention of violating their territory, if they don't violate mine.

But my house is fairly open plan downstairs and in the time it takes

to call international rescue the snake could be anywhere, my greatest 

But thanks for the positive input and adivce.

Most people have a fear of snakes, and I fully understand that.

Have caught a few for friends, and my local fire station always comes out to either catch or collect, then remove.

17 hours ago, dick turpin said:

Had a 15 minute fight to the death with this fella 

this morning, not going well until I got my Gecko

buster out, a long bamboo pole with a fork embedded 

in the end.

Managed to pin him down, then moved in with the rat

spray I use on my car engine. Still writhing around, so

time to move in for the kill with the garden back hoe

Think it was a Cobra, but not sure. 

1709877962296.jpg

not a Cobra

• Thanks 1

Well, I think I just busted that myth

You don't really understand statistics do you Dick? My uncle escaped drowning because he wasn't wearing a seat belt when crashing into the river. Shall we all now eschew seat belts..?  🥴

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The rest of the gang pointed out it's best not to just kill any snake you see, as they eat rats and mice, vermin which are dangerous to have around. I live in the country, and see snakes about once every two weeks, and a lot of them aren't venomous, but since I know American snakes better as far as identification, I leave them alone and hope they go away. The two dogs that consider my house their own help to keep them away. I mostly worry about my daughter in the yard but educate her about how to walk and what to do if she sees a snake. Some snakebites require immediate attention for treatment. Up to 2500 die a year here from snakebite so it's not to be taken casually. Another reason I want to move. I lived in Texas 32 years and only saw a few rattlesnakes in the wild, and they aren't near as dangerous as many here. As far as the geckos, they are really beneficial to have around...............Together with the smaller house lizards, mosquitoes are favorite meals of the geckos. They just extend their tongue quickly and retract the mosquitoes stuck on it. Lay that spray pesticide aside and enjoy the benefits of geckos—a natural pest exterminator.

The widely recognised most dangerous snake is the Black mamba,not the most venemous, still deadly, but because of it's speed and aggression.

Agree on the geckos but they are a nuisance,I've had 2 microwaves ruined because they've got in and shorted them out 

25 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

The widely recognised most dangerous snake is the Black mamba,not the most venemous, still deadly, but because of it's speed and aggression.

Agree on the geckos but they are a nuisance,I've had 2 microwaves ruined because they've got in and shorted them out 

Not many Mambas, black or otherwise in Thailand.

19 hours ago, dick turpin said:

until I got my Gecko

buster out, a long bamboo pole with a fork embedded 

in the end.

Why kill geckos?

They are harmless.

There is a Thai urban myth that 'the tokay fell on my friend's shoulder, bit her neck and would not let go' but I think that story is put around by parents in order to get their kids to leave them alone.

When I ask 'did it happen to you or did you see it', the answer is always 'mum told me'.

• Like 2

my greatest 

the car you park in your fairly open plan downstairs. gotcha.

engine bay, scary stuff.

• Sad 1

I used to kill any snakes that came around our house, then I came across a great Facebook group called “Snakes of Pattaya”, virtually everyday somebody posts a photo of a snake that they have come in contact with, then people say what they think it is, however, the only opinions that I bother with are the ones from the admins, who all seem to be very knowledgeable.

Because the posts are coming up regularly, it is like a really easy learning curve and it has helped me firstly to stop regarding every snake as something that needs to be exterminated, secondly to be a lot calmer when I do encounter a snake.

I see that many posters advise the OP to look the snake up on google, not really very helpful, in the moment, that is why the Snakes of Pattaya group is so good, it teaches you and prepares you for these encounters.

Nobody should criticise any man for defending his own space and family, part of living here is learning about different things and if the OP comes from a place where there are no snakes, how does he know what is safe and what is not?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

I'm English, I've seen one snake in 70 years in the UK so I'm not qualified to tell a snake from a worm. If I'm bitten by one here in LoS I'll be a fat use at hospital identifying the type.  Do you think telling nursie it was 'a long one' will be of any help?

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

I bet you're proud of it and feel like a hero...shame on you:coffee1:

Also ashamed to admit last night I swatted two mosquitos,

can hardly live with myself

Edited by dick turpin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I'm English, I've seen one snake in 70 years in the UK so I'm not qualified to tell a snake from a worm. If I'm bitten by one here in LoS I'll be a fat use at hospital identifying the type.  Do you think telling nursie it was 'a long one' will be of any help?

From the UK also, so share your previous lack of experience of snakes, but have seen a few adders on health land over the years.

The hospital needs to know the type of snake, as the anti-venom needed depends on the snake involved.

Colour, size, length and body width, shape of head, of the snake, is a good start.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

Get over it old timer.

Seems you’re getting a bit of criticism, which seems very unjustified.

Maybe a lot of key board warriors here, who in reality would poo their pants, in the same situation.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1