AI-driven project launched to tackle Bangkok’s traffic congestion

webfact

40 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I think that AI will be stressed and crash...

Yeah, remember what happened to "HAL-9000" in 2001 a Space Odyssey! :whistling:

"Daisy, Daisy give me you answer do ..."

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“The tickets will then be dispatched to the vehicle owners responsible for paying the fines. We can’t always dispatch the police to deal with illegally parked vehicles.”

So they don't intend to actually enforce any of this, other than by maybe sending a ticket through the mail at some future date. And how exactly will that move traffic along today?

Also, I don't know anyone who would characterize license plate readers, CCTV cameras, and 3-minute timers as an "AI system".

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The other strategies include displaying signs to discourage tourists and customers from using transport that violates the law

Yes, the problem isn't too many vehicles on the roads, it's tourists using the wrong vehicles. Uh huh. And signs have proven to be so effective...

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok Deputy Governor Wisanu Subsompon pointed out that footage from the CCTV cameras capturing the vehicles’ licence plates will be used as evidence for issuing tickets.

“The tickets will then be dispatched to the vehicle owners responsible for paying the fines. We can’t always dispatch the police to deal with illegally parked vehicles.”

So illegally parking taxis etc will still do what they do now, so no changes.

Tickets will be issued and sent out to various addresses, fines will be ignored just as they are now.

Not a solution.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just another excuse for these officials to not get involved, not do their jobs, not think these things through, not engage in any sort of traffic mitigation when new developments are improved, and not lead the nation forward. 

• Like 1

Exactly @SpiderMike007!

As you say: "not think these things through"

To ease the traffic one must keep it flowing! I think this is simple logic isn't it?

So why not plug the "AI" to the traffic lights and let her do the job to keep the traffic fluid?!

The "Big Brother Is Watching you" CCTVs to record traffic offenders might come to a later stage of the "Control System"...

But as we know, "too many cooks spoil the broth" (as we say in Switzerland).

Now imagine the administrative machine to issue and follow up of payments of the tickets...

So, IMHO I suggest to opt for the first: Coordinating/synchronising traffic lights to maintain a fluid traffic.

Oh,

Yes I am Swiss, retired and living here since over 34 years...

And...

I am a good boy 🙂

Edited by Pesche

21 hours ago, khunjeff said:

So they don't intend to actually enforce any of this, other than by maybe sending a ticket through the mail at some future date. And how exactly will that move traffic along today?

Also, I don't know anyone who would characterize license plate readers, CCTV cameras, and 3-minute timers as an "AI system".

Yes, the problem isn't too many vehicles on the roads, it's tourists using the wrong vehicles. Uh huh. And signs have proven to be so effective...

Its quite simple with an appropriate A.I. system  :

Send out the tickets as advised, if not paid after 1 month, fine is doubled, and so on for each month, unpaid !
At the end of the year when the driver has to collect his new VEHICLE LICENCE, he has to PAY ALL the accumulated fines, otherwise he does not get the Licence, or the vehicle is confiscated, OR the driver's licence is VOIDED.
Once the first drivers that this happens to, complain in the Media, other drivers will soon start to toe the line.

The police can then be given the chance to collect these fines, or the vehicles, either way it;s going to get expensive for the  antagonists  !

By the way, I saw this system of doubling the fines, working when I was working in IRAQ in the 1980's, YES, 1980's.

Good ole, Saddam knew how to collect the Money  !