The fallout from Swissgate -- so much for tolerance

n00dle

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Most of those, away from the violent acts, probably routinely take place on any given day.....

They certainly aren't published here or anywhere online daily with this frequency, those were all taken right off the first page of unread. 

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Just because they are expats gives no excuse. As for being worried, I behave myself and follow the law as do most expats in Thailand, so nothing to worry about.

Not aimed at you specifically because I don't know you.  But be careful what you wish for, lest they start deporting people for paying women for sex and for dodging taxes.  Not to mention the guys who have to use visa agents, (not the ones who just choose to use them, the ones that have to).

If they enforced those with deportation, the ranks of foreigners would thin quite a bit.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

But be careful what you wish for, lest they start deporting people for paying women for sex and for dodging taxes.  Not to mention the guys who have to use visa agents, (not the ones who just choose to use them, the ones that have to).

None of which are close to physical violence against an unsuspecting female sitting on some stairs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

None of which are close to physical violence against an unsuspecting female sitting on some stairs.

Neither are most of the links posted in the OP.  Just "illegal" stuff that apparently puts foreigners at risk of being deported.  Along with another half dozen threads just today.   Much to the delight of so many posters here.  And I don't understand why they're so pleased.  They may be next if the authorities change their priorities just a little and start deporting, for example, guys who frequent prostitutes.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Could be that, or it could be softening up for visa tightening. Anutin went after farangs benefiting from low cost health services as Heath minister. get the Thai population outraged ad bad behaving foreigners then present himself as the person who will "put a stop to this kind of thing". The politicians playbook.

Agreed... it could be quite the 'Nationalistic card' to play come election time....  

... I'll be the one to clean up Thailand from all these 'bad farang'....    Agreed - its straight out of a a politicians playbook and has been used for centuries, although I believe the media are simply regurgitating and focusing on all this news because its 'flavour of the month'...  

It'll all be forgotten about just as soon as another big story explodes.. i.e. someone doing something horrific to someone society would usually respect (in a position of respect).... i.e. 15 year old in Porsche cuts university lecturer in half speeding through a pedestrian crossing... 

or... as Songkran is approaching...  some 'Songkran road deaths' announcements may take over... with officials wanting their 5 mins of fame...

.. Expect something like...   

- Officials announce to cut Songkran deaths in half to only 60 per day (then cue all the comments thats this isn't half at all !!)

- Authorities ban people riding in the back of pickups

- Authorities announce crack-down on drink driving

- Authorities announce crack-down on no helmets

Or something similar, but this foreigner stuff will go quite after the media realise their tune is getting old. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

or... as Songkran is approaching...  some 'Songkran road deaths' announcements may take over... with officials wanting their 5 mins of fame...

.. Expect something like...   

Paranoid I know, and playing devil's advocate, but what if the news for Songkran looks like this?

British man arrested for inappropriate sexual behavior during Khaosan road celebrations

Swedish pickup driver kills 4
intoxicated Austrian man attacks Thai revelers

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Not aimed at you specifically because I don't know you.  But be careful what you wish for, lest they start deporting people for paying women for sex and for dodging taxes.  Not to mention the guys who have to use visa agents, (not the ones who just choose to use them, the ones that have to).

If they enforced those with deportation, the ranks of foreigners would thin quite a bit.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I can't see an issue, Thailand is just doing the housekeeping. 

Getting rid of the trash. 

Merely paying lip service to social media "outrage". The high ranking foreign culprits operating illegally are normally well insured and their mutual interests "served and protected". 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

Paranoid I know, and playing devil's advocate, but what if the news for Songkran looks like this?

British man arrested for inappropriate sexual behavior during Khaosan road celebrations

or...Twerking Thai teens demand action over large breasted wet T- shirted blondes stealing their limelight.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

The whole Swiss guy thing has now become a rallying point for an us vs them dialogue that can only damage what already seems to be a fragile status quo. 

You are right with this. The wife is normally happy to display the farang husband but I have been advised to step lightly for the time being.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Would there have been all the fuss with the fellow if he lived in some low profile condo in a backstreet area ?

Yes. All the fuss is about his actions, not his address.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, n00dle said:

I corrected it for you... Otherwise 'spot on' I think....

[ British man (Welsh) arrested for inappropriate sexual behavior during Khaosan road celebrations

[ Swiss pickup driver kills 4 ]
[ intoxicated Australian man attacks Thai revelers ]

Save this post - maybe a bookie will take on the 'accumulator'....  All bets to settled by 20th April !!!.. 

15 hours ago, n00dle said:

username checks out.

I'm not certain many here understand the potential Pandora's box that has been opened. i am not alarmist, nor am i prone to conspiracy theories but I can sometimes see patterns or a bigger picture.

its not about I'm a good boy, why would they come for me.  it's about understanding the circumstances under which they could change your life if it went that far.     

The whole Swiss guy thing has now become a rallying point for an us vs them dialogue that can only damage what already seems to be a fragile status quo. 

As a political tool, laying a groundwork of mutual dislike and distrust could pave the way for a government that has already significantly undermined expats here with its new tax laws to make life even more difficult. 

Whats next?   

Over thinking everything. You also assume to much, people do "understanding the circumstances under which they could change", we do not show it is all. I do not think all Thais see this as a rallying point, a small portion are vocal and they are the ones the news focus on to gain more readers or followers.

"As a political tool, laying a groundwork of mutual dislike and distrust" really? Was it not the actions of the Swiss man and his Thai wife who kicked this all off? (pun intended). As for the other swiss man in Trang and the Australian in BKK, are they setting a good example of expats? What about the farang who work illegal here, do they set a good example?

I do not agree the goverment has undermined expats with its new tax laws, is life so difficult here? If you find it so then maybe time to move on?

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, impulse said:

Neither are most of the links posted in the OP.  Just "illegal" stuff that apparently puts foreigners at risk of being deported.  Along with another half dozen threads just today.   Much to the delight of so many posters here.  And I don't understand why they're so pleased.  They may be next if the authorities change their priorities just a little and start deporting, for example, guys who frequent prostitutes.

You can fly under the radar for doing most things here, offering violence to locals will cause a sihtstorm, as the Swissies have discovered. These idiots were very fortunate that there wasn't a crowd of motorbike taxi riders or doormen around to dish out some Thai instant justice. Just being offhand with someone can cause that lot to kick off.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I can't see an issue, Thailand is just doing the housekeeping. 

Getting rid of the trash. 

It's because you're not perceptive enough to see beyond what is put in front of you for your consumption 

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

do not agree the goverment has undermined expats with its new tax laws, is life so difficult here? If you find it so then maybe time

That's because you haven't taken the time/ have the wherewithal to comprehend the intricacies which means you are in danger of being taxed twice on the same income through the exclusions within the double tax agreement by county. You could prove me wrong by laying out a brief synopsis of your understanding why many here bringing in pension income from their home country are not at risk...?

• Thanks 1