Government Intensifies Fight Against Northern Forest Fires

snoop1130

4b37a8318f16ad5525588eb867e8f285.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Natural Resources and Environment Minister Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan delivered a stern warning, declaring that those responsible for igniting forest fires will be met with severe legal repercussions, as he rolled out measures to combat the escalating issue and the surge in PM2.5 pollution in the North. 

A key strategy involves the reassignment of forces and the introduction of a “forest closure” policy, effectively banning entry into critical forested regions to prevent fires. The policy highlights the government's commitment to protecting these areas and holding violators accountable. The meeting outlined various approaches to firefighting, including ground surveillance, patrolling, aerial firefighting efforts, and constant monitoring of hotspots to prevent the outbreak of fires.

Pol Gen Patcharawat has called for enhanced coordination between local agricultural authorities and the establishment of a provincial operational center to oversee these efforts. This center, led by the provincial governor, is tasked with consolidating actions against the illegal burning of farm waste and other activities contributing to forest fires and pollution.

The minister also stressed the importance of public communication and awareness regarding the dangers of PM2.5 pollution, seeking to address the dual challenges of forest fires and air quality deterioration with urgency and efficiency.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 2024-03-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan delivered a stern warning, declaring that those responsible for igniting forest fires will be met with severe legal repercussions, as he rolled out measures to combat the escalating issue and the surge in PM2.5 pollution in the North. 

Too damned late minister.

The primary culprit is the burning of sugar. Will they intensify the fight against Big Agra? I doubt it. Rarely do the government cowards stand up to their masters. They display total fealty, even if it means people are dying of lung disease.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The primary culprit is the burning of sugar. Will they intensify the fight against Big Agra? I doubt it. Rarely do the government cowards stand up to their masters. They display total fealty, even if it means people are dying of lung disease.

Yeah, just reading on this forum lately, last year there were reportedly 30 million patients treated for air pollution related illnesses and so far in the first two months of 2024, 650K patients have been treated.  I have a 2.5micron meter and check many times daily and in BKK so far this year almost every day is at least in the yellow alert level.  But, I notice many people exercising outdoors without any masks and never see farangs anymore with masks on.  

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 8:19 AM, Presnock said:

Yeah, just reading on this forum lately, last year there were reportedly 30 million patients treated for air pollution related illnesses and so far in the first two months of 2024, 650K patients have been treated.  I have a 2.5micron meter and check many times daily and in BKK so far this year almost every day is at least in the yellow alert level.  But, I notice many people exercising outdoors without any masks and never see farangs anymore with masks on.  

BTW, I failed to write it but just in case one wonders these figures are for THAILAND, not the world or any other region/country!