US delegation leaves Saudi Arabia early over kippah row

Social Media

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Having lived and worked in Saudi for years it doesn't surprise me that the dictat from above may not be upheld by those on the ground.

Perhaps the official that required the head covering to be removed was offended that a member of a religion currently blowing up thousands of fellow Arabs was shoving his religious identity into Muslim faces in a Muslim country.

When I was there, I doubt the Jews would have even been allowed into the country. Just having an israeli entry stamp in one's passport meant one could not enter Saudi.

Though they accepted that Christians were needed to run their institutions, any open display or practice of Christianity was forbidden.

Even whilst happily playing in the sand pit of Northern Saudi Arabia one of the main preoccupations of the local authorities was the presence of any symbols of Christianity - I recall an incident when a young female soldier was grabbed by some official because she had a small gold crucifix around her neck, which was visible over her tee shirt. She knocked him down. The situation was resolved when Iraq made one of its periodic threats to raid across the border from Kuwait. All you could see looking south were Saudis legging it in the "Gucci" vehicles the US had given them!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Saudis spent a lot of effort removing any traces of female skin ( apart from faces ) from magazines ( with black marker pen ) and not allowing any reference to Christianity in music, so you can imagine my delight when a popular western singer's album ( on tape ) was found to have a song about Crusaders giving the locals a hiding. They obviously missed that one.

The female form, ads for booze, articles about Israel, articles about Saudi, and more, caused the censor to pull out the black pen. Sometimes the International Herald Tribune would have entire pages missing or simply wouldn't show up at all.

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Having lived and worked in Saudi for years it doesn't surprise me that the dictat from above may not be upheld by those on the ground.

Perhaps the official that required the head covering to be removed was offended that a member of a religion currently blowing up thousands of fellow Arabs was shoving his religious identity into Muslim faces in a Muslim country.

When I was there, I doubt the Jews would have even been allowed into the country. Just having an israeli entry stamp in one's passport meant one could not enter Saudi.

Though they accepted that Christians were needed to run their institutions, any open display or practice of Christianity was forbidden.

A religion whatzit?!?

Is Christianity attempting to erase Ukraine?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Another example of the US understanding of global affairs and international relations by taking a Jewish cleric on a diplomatic mission to a Muslim-majority country. Whatever next...🤔

You're suggesting that the USA should make its Jews invisible in a country so important to Abrahamic religions?

That's despicable.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Another example of the US understanding of global affairs and international relations by taking a Jewish cleric on a diplomatic mission to a Muslim-majority country. Whatever next...🤔

There are Jews and definitely a Rabbi in Saudi Arabia.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No, but my experience of living and working in Saudi Arabia and other places across the Middle East persuade me of the fallacy in the statement 

I experienced very little ‘intolerance’ in Saudi Arabia, indeed I see far more expressed on this forum than ever I came across anywhere in the Middle East.

Arabs are famously hospitable, the Saudis especially so. 

Perhaps it’s that ‘face to face’ thing.

That's interesting.

A Pinoy guy I knew told me about his experience being a guest worker in Saudi.

A typical Catholic Pinoy he carried a cross in his luggage.

It was found, confiscated, and he was beaten.

Religious tolerance, my ass!

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I call B.S.

The guy is a RELIGIOUS Jew.

Not just a Jew.

A RELIGIOUS Jew.

The meeting was about RELIGIOUS tolerance.

He was being forced to NOT be religious.

The gaffe is on the Saudi side.

You can call it what you like.

In reality it is common sense.

That is the problem with ALL religions.

I know my rights and I will stick it out to the bitter end and this is the result. The trip was wasted by the religious INTOLERANCE of one person.

If you cannot see that, there is no hope for you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

You can call it what you like.

In reality it is common sense.

That is the problem with ALL religions.

I know my rights and I will stick it out to the bitter end and this is the result. The trip was wasted by the religious INTOLERANCE of one person.

An observant Jew wearing a kippah is NOT intolerance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

An observant Jew wearing a kippah is NOT intolerance.

Why do you seem to believe that Jews are more important than any other people in the world, and that they should be given special treatment?

• Like 1

That US Rabbi over-reacted. kippa-shmippa, the way they wear it is a mockery of religious commandments. 

Have a look at google.com/images for "rabbi cooper" - he is one of those "pop rabbies". He shouldn't be there in the first place. Seriously

Nice mission! They had hotel booked, business class flights, personal expenses and pocket money. And screwed it all because some dude didn't follow request to remove whatever he has on his head.

Seems that it was planned since the beginning, no?

Edited by NativeBob
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

That US Rabbi over-reacted. kippa-shmippa, the way they wear it is a mockery of religious commandments. 

Have a look at google.com/images for "rabbi cooper" - he is one of those "pop rabbies". He shouldn't be there in the first place. Seriously

Nice mission! They had hotel booked, business class flights, personal expenses and pocket money. And screwed it all because some dude didn't follow request to remove whatever he has on his head.

Seems that it was planned since the beginning, no?

Another one that never met a conspiracy theory that they didn't like.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's interesting.

A Pinoy guy I knew told me about his experience being a guest worker in Saudi.

A typical Catholic Pinoy he carried a cross in his luggage.

It was found, confiscated, and he was beaten.

Religious tolerance, my ass!

At odds with my experience of a priest visiting our camp to hold service and to on one occasion give the last rights to a dying South African.

Certainly at odds with the Christmas tree and decorations put up in our mixed Saudi Expat office.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Then perhaps he should be reminded that more of his fellow Arabs and Muslims are blowing up more of his fellow Arabs and Muslims than any other ethnic, cultural or religious group and have been doing so for Millennia. 

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No, but my experience of living and working in Saudi Arabia and other places across the Middle East persuade me of the fallacy in the statement 

I experienced very little ‘intolerance’ in Saudi Arabia, indeed I see far more expressed on this forum than ever I came across anywhere in the Middle East.

Arabs are famously hospitable, the Saudis especially so. 

Perhaps it’s that ‘face to face’ thing.

Did you take your Wife there and was she allowed to wear her own clothing and drive  ???...  

Relevance - it comes down to tolerance - We have just returned from Japan where my Wife was free to wear what she wanted and drive, go out to restaurants freely etc...   

Conversely, would she be allowed to drive in Saudi ? (i wouldn't want to anyway for other reasons, corruption and intolerance).

Would she be allowed to travel around on her own ? (i wouldn't want her to anyway for reasons of intolerance).

Would she be allowed to travel around without a head scarf ? (i wouldn't want her to anyway for reasons of intolerance).

While the Arabs are famously hospitable, just as many other nations, there is also a considerable lack of tolerance born of fear from totalitarian regimes which overpowers their underlying tolerance to anything other than puritanical religious conformity.