Panel to discuss domestic airline which rejects passengers in wheelchairs

snoop1130

Capture-4.jpg

A subcommittee on the elimination of discrimination against persons with disabilities will meet soon to address the problem of a domestic airline refusing to allow disabled passengers in wheelchairs to board its flights.

Social Development and Human Security Minister Varawut Silpa-archa said today that he is saddened by the airline’s discriminatory treatment of disabled people and has instructed officials to raise the matter with the subcommittee.

He said he is fully aware of the plight of disabled people, for whom leaving home every day is often a challenging adventure, not knowing how they will be treated by other people.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-03-13

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Click here:

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

A more pressing issue might be the problem of accessing public transport.  Or have these ministers never gone anywhere without a personal motorcade?  Have they ever tried walking down a public sidewalk?  Perilous for even the most athletic.

Even the PM had his own bedroom installed at Govt House:

Srettha’s overwhelming desire is to cut to the chase. He is only the second Prime Minister in Thai history to install a bedroom at Government House rather than commute through Bangkok’s notoriously snarled streets.

https://time.com/6899782/thailand-prime-minister-srettha-thavisin-business-hub/

• Thanks 1

CAAT (Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand) guidance on the needs for passengers with disabilities, was recently issued on 27 December 2023 and is contained in the “Guidance Material for Ground Handling Operations” , full document ia attached for reference below.

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/CAAT-GM-OPS-GOPS-Guidance-Material-Ground-Handling-Operations-GOPS-Issue.01-Revision-00-Effective-Date-27.12.2023.pdf

The relevant parts of that document is section 7, a few sections highlighted below.

IMG_2271.jpeg

IMG_2270.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Maybe they don't allow it to guarantee the safety of all other passengers.

Imagine you are in a plane in an emergency, and you are stuck behind a wheelchair. And 50 people behind you also want to get out. And then?

As long as the airline make this information public, I don't see a problem.

Not everybody can do everything. It's not perfect, but that's life. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine you are in a plane in an emergency, and you are stuck behind a wheelchair.

Never happened.

Maybe the CAAT regulations regarding PRMs are to be thanked for it not, yet, happening?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

You pick up the disabled passenger, firemans lift to the evacuation chute.

Delusional... when sh$t happens it's every person for themselves... 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Foxx said:

Never happened.

Has it ever happened in a non emergency? I believe disabled passengers usually have to wait while most of the rest have disembarked normally. I have a pal who has this misfortune and he travels by air frequently, assisted by his wife though. Air Asia do a good job he tells me. 

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

web-british-airways-fire-1.jpg

This was British Airways flight  2276  Las Vegas to London, on 8 September 2015, involving a Boeing 777-200E.

All the passengers were safely evacuated, but 19 people sustained minor injuries and one other sustained serious injuries, mostly from sliding down the escape chutes.

The aircraft was repaired and returned to service in March 2016, 6 months later.

Edited by Georgealbert

48 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Delusional... when sh$t happens it's every person for themselves... 

Or, as the photo posted earlier suggests, everyone and their carry on bags!

"Delusional " is perhaps a bit strong though? Mind you I have never been in a plane crash, although I did fly "One-to-Go" and Phuket Air years ago!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I am handicapped and I follow the rules and have never been denied boarding and have always been treated well... you get back what you put forth.

Agree, I am in the same boat. Suwannabhumi  wheelchair service is excellent, check-in to plane door. 

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

This was British Airways flight  2276  Las Vegas to London, on 8 September 2015, involving a Boeing 777-200E.

All the passengers were safely evacuated, but 19 people sustained minor injuries and one other sustained serious injuries, mostly from sliding down the escape chutes.

The aircraft was repaired and returned to service in March 2016, 6 months later.

Thank you for the information.

Do you also know how many passengers with wheelchairs were on that plane?

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I am handicapped and I follow the rules and have never been denied boarding and have always been treated well... you get back what you put forth... the victim mentality is sickening. 

Thank you... I wish you well and safe travels

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, les1 said:

Last year we flew Air Asia to Penang my wife needed a wheelchair I paid 300 baht for this , on arrival no wheelchair dropped out on the tarmac. Eventually wheelchair arrived but no one to push her I was told that I looked fit enough so push it. They offered my money back & it took 12 months with so much pressure obviously 300 baht is neither here nor there but the ordacity of this company shows that they couldn't care less for your wellbeing. 

You’ll know the ins and outs better than me but aren’t these kind of services provided by the airport or another agency and not the actual airline itself ?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thank you for the information.

Do you also know how many passengers with wheelchairs were on that plane?

Sorry no, because it was not recorded in the FAA investigation report. I also can not find any investigation that notes that disabled passenger affected the evacuation. Hence airlines maybe following the regulators guidelines, such as CAAT guidelines posted before.

The British Airways aircraft fire in your picture, reported the following.

6 of the 8 exits were not available to be used due to the fire situation.

The evacuation took 2 minutes 32 seconds, more than the 90-second limit stipulated by the FAA, but the 90-second rule applies to an aircraft evacuation when half the available doors are used. The aircraft only had 55% of seats occupied.

The opening of the emergency exits was delayed, as the pilot walking through the aircraft to assess the incident was blocked by standing passengers.

Despite announcement being made, passengers still crowded the emergency exits before they were opened.

One of the flight crew was nearly knocked out of the door by a pushing passenger when the evacuation first started and had to grab hold of an assist handle in order to stay inside the aircraft.

An  elderly woman with a mobility issue was knocked over in the rush, but cabin crew picked her up and get her to an exit.

The one seriously injured was a cabin crew member who slid down the emergency slide after water had been sprayed on the slide, from the fire suppression efforts. That crew member suffered a compression fracture of a vertebra and a fracture to the left forearm.

Edited by Georgealbert

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe they don't allow it to guarantee the safety of all other passengers.

Imagine you are in a plane in an emergency, and you are stuck behind a wheelchair. And 50 people behind you also want to get out. And then?

As long as the airline make this information public, I don't see a problem.

Not everybody can do everything. It's not perfect, but that's life. 

Could be worse.

Life has already served you lemons and then when you have to travel urgently, you find yourself next to a loud mouthed, ignorant, selfish oaf who believes the world revolves around him. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

this was a setup by a handicapped person who felt slighted because the airlines did not and would not provide him special treatment as he so thought he deserved. 

Exactly, none of his four able-bodied travelling companions would agree to be his nominated assistant.   If it wasn't an (obvious) set up , he needs to get new friends.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1