Panel to discuss domestic airline which rejects passengers in wheelchairs

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Could be worse.

Life has already served you lemons and then when you have to travel urgently, you find yourself next to a loud mouthed, ignorant, selfish oaf who believes the world revolves around him. 

An American? 😉 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Foxx said:

And yet the airline isn't named.  Pathetic!

Try reading the Bangkok Post where the airline is named.

You could have looked at the post after yours, or even done a search on the internet.

He wasn't barred because he was disabled, but because NONE of the 4 people (friends?) travelling with him would take the responsibility for him, IF an emergency did actually happen.

I think that I would chose my friends and/or my travelling companions, more carefully.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

It is NOT discrimination to require those that require special care to provide it by traveling with a caregiver... this was a setup by a handicapped person who felt slighted because the airlines did not and would not provide him special treatment as he so thought he deserved.  I am handicapped and I follow the rules and have never been denied boarding and have always been treated well... you get back what you put forth... the victim mentality is sickening. 

How is that victim mentality? So a disabled person must always travel with someone else? And how was it a set up? 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

You pick up the disabled passenger, firemans lift to the evacuation chute.

This is quite possible, but only in a girlboss Marvel empowerment film, where an 80-pound diverse princess will save the day!

Consider reality.....

......with a plane on fire and smoke filling the cabin, a rather large incapacitated handicapped person blocking the aisle and dozens of screaming obese passengers pushing and scrambling over the obstruction, dragging their multiple carry-on bags stuffed with duty free booze, all while taking selfies and live-streaming on tikkytokky.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

This is quite possible, but only in a girlboss Marvel empowerment film, where an 80-pound diverse princess will save the day!

Consider reality.....

......with a plane on fire and smoke filling the cabin, a rather large incapacitated handicapped person blocking the aisle and dozens of screaming obese passengers pushing and scrambling over the obstruction, dragging their multiple carry-on bags stuffed with duty free booze, all while taking selfies and live-streaming on tikkytokky.

No-one gets out except perhaps those in the door seats.

1 hour ago, Spamhead said:

I'll give you a moment to reflect on your statement and recognise the absurdity of that comment. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You can give me as long as you like, but it still won't change the post.

• Confused 1

Panel to discuss what exactly ???

This is civil aviation law regardless of what a panel discusses.

OR... is the panel actually going to discuss something slight different (which is clearly very needed after the Thai VietJet issue)... 

And that is 'customer service'... whererby those who alert the airline ahead of time that they are disabled are logged into the system and guaranteed a seat. 

The recent issue has a lot more do with poor customer service and terrible communication than it has to do with disabled people travelling. 

12 hours ago, les1 said:

Last year we flew Air Asia to Penang my wife needed a wheelchair I paid 300 baht for this , on arrival no wheelchair dropped out on the tarmac. Eventually wheelchair arrived but no one to push her I was told that I looked fit enough so push it. They offered my money back & it took 12 months with so much pressure obviously 300 baht is neither here nor there but the ordacity of this company shows that they couldn't care less for your wellbeing. 

Sorry you had to pay for a wheelchair. I recently made 2 international "Fly-Thru" flights with Thai Air Asia from Siem Reap to Chiang Mai via DMK. I did not have to pay for a wheelchair - one was provided free for each leg of my journey. You cannot book a wheelchair with Thai Air Asia, you have to tick the "unable to walk long distance" box when booking on-line. When checking in, then you will be asked if a wheelchair is needed. An excellent sevice with caring ground crew who pushed the wheelchair. Thanks Thai Air Asia.

14 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

How is that victim mentality? So a disabled person must always travel with someone else? And how was it a set up? 

No to a disabled person having to travel with someone else... yes to a disabled person who cannot care for himself having to travel with a caregiver... it is not the job of airline personnel to provide special care.

This traveler was probably trying to get the reaction from the airline by showing up and demanding that the airlines be responsible for caring for him... his friends all refused as a grandstand move to pressure the airlines... he was setting himself up as the "VICTIM" of the rules in place that he thought were demeaning to him rather than the rules being for the safety of everyone on board. 

21 hours ago, realfunster said:

You’ll know the ins and outs better than me but aren’t these kind of services provided by the airport or another agency and not the actual airline itself ?

Yes.....presumably up to the point of the aircraft door. Not sure who would supply the special wheelchair as a regular one would not fit in an aircraft aisle. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes.....presumably up to the point of the aircraft door. Not sure who would supply the special wheelchair as a regular one would not fit in an aircraft aisle. 

Thank you. Here is a recent observation on a Thai Air Asia flight. I was one of two passengers needing a wheelchair. Mine was supplied when I checked in and I was wheeled to the cabin door where I alighted and was able to take my seat near the front of the cabin. The second passenger, being severely disabled, had his own specially adapted wheelchair which he operated himself (no carer), with additional help at check-in, security check and boarding the aircraft. His seat was right at the front of the cabin. His own wheelchair was folded and securely stored near him at the bulk head. He was the first to board, then myself, and we were the last to leave the aircraft.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 8:51 AM, realfunster said:

You’ll know the ins and outs better than me but aren’t these kind of services provided by the airport or another agency and not the actual airline itself ?

Not always twice we required assistance Nok Air & Air Asia, Nok Air superb Air Asia another story. Western Airports do provide this service free. I must say when we have had guys assist in Thailand their personal service has been exceptional.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:34 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

No to a disabled person having to travel with someone else... yes to a disabled person who cannot care for himself having to travel with a caregiver... it is not the job of airline personnel to provide special care.

This traveler was probably trying to get the reaction from the airline by showing up and demanding that the airlines be responsible for caring for him... his friends all refused as a grandstand move to pressure the airlines... he was setting himself up as the "VICTIM" of the rules in place that he thought were demeaning to him rather than the rules being for the safety of everyone on board. 

Very clear evidence that the airlines can put in procedures and equipment to help disabled people travel, but I guess their shareholders just need more profit, right?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Very clear evidence that the airlines can put in procedures and equipment to help disabled people travel, but I guess their shareholders just need more profit, right?

Your assumption is totally skewed... they have procedures and equipment to help disabled people travel... I use them all the time... And yes the best airlines make a profit.

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Your assumption is totally skewed... they have procedures and equipment to help disabled people travel... I use them all the time... And yes the best airlines make a profit.

No it is not, cos I am dealing with facts - plenty of reports on this. While you are dealing with your emotions and feel feels and basically making stuff up in your head to get mad about. 

No it is not, cos I am dealing with facts - plenty of reports on this. While you are dealing with your emotions and feel feels and basically making stuff up in your head to get mad about. 

What facts are you dealing with?  I am handicapped and I travel and I have always been accommodated... those are facts. 

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

What facts are you dealing with?  I am handicapped and I travel and I have always been accommodated... those are facts. 

Other than you made up a scenario in your head to <deleted> on another disabled person, way to go 

"A 2021 report from the Transportation Research Board, as part of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, proved that airlines can install in-cabin wheelchair securement systems in airplanes. These systems would allow passengers to remain in their chairs for the duration of flights. Those with disabilities would not be forced out of their wheelchair to be carried to an airline seat, and they would no longer run the risk of breaking their wheelchair in the cargo hold. If airlines remove just two rows of seats near the front of the plane, the proposed securement system would work."

We bailed the airlines out with billions, yet it is profit over service when it comes to disabled people. 

• Haha 1

Other than you made up a scenario in your head to <deleted> on another disabled person, way to go 

"A 2021 report from the Transportation Research Board, as part of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, proved that airlines can install in-cabin wheelchair securement systems in airplanes. These systems would allow passengers to remain in their chairs for the duration of flights. Those with disabilities would not be forced out of their wheelchair to be carried to an airline seat, and they would no longer run the risk of breaking their wheelchair in the cargo hold. If airlines remove just two rows of seats near the front of the plane, the proposed securement system would work."

We bailed the airlines out with billions, yet it is profit over service when it comes to disabled people. 

Here you go again... the airlines could do better for everyone... that we agree on... but at the end of the day they do a very good job considering all the special interest demands... according to you they should take out 12 seats in the front of the aircraft to accommodate 4 wheelchair bound handicapped persons... that only makes sense to someone who also believes in the tooth fairy.