Intolerant to statins looking for alternative drugs and doctor recommendations

1 hour ago, john donson said:

RED yeast rice ?  the natural statin...

Yes, I thought about recommending that because I take it, however it does contain lovastatin, often in varying amounts, so you don't always know the exact amount you are taking.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes, I thought about recommending that because I take it, however it does contain lovastatin, often in varying amounts, so you don't always know the exact amount you are taking.

Although levels of lovastatin vary in the product, 2.4 g of red yeast rice daily may contain about 4.8 mg of lovastatin, or 0.2% of the total dose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 8:34 AM, mania said:

Actually you take the injection every two weeks so you could stop & that is the duration.

But really it is well tolerated & based on something some folks have naturally

Peter Attia who is quite well known in this field has been on it himself for many years

Is it even available in Thailand though?

Worth watching this video 😉 

Yes it was offered me as an option. The only point made was its very expensive and the insurance might not cover it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

I had muscle problem with Atorvastatin and change to Pitavastatin. Name Pivasta 2 mg. Bought online 13 bath / tablet at webshop Medisafe Pharm. But now. Yesterday they call me and said that they dont have in the shop but she wanted to do a check up call me back.

• 5 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, CanNot said:

Just a small update regarding Bempedoic Acid (Nexletol). Looks like it got approved in Thailand. Can someone confirm the legitimacy of the source. 

https://pertento.fda.moph.go.th/FDA_SEARCH_DRUG/SEARCH_DRUG/pop-up_drug.aspx?Newcode_U=U1DR1C1012671501111C

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2020/02/24/10/09/fda-approves-bempedoic-acid-for-treatment-of-adults-with-hefh-or-established-ascvd

However it is a chemical and everybody has an unique way of responding on chemicals(medicines).

It can take up a longer time, before what your body is thinking of it.

You could have some wrong body feelings, but eventually due to medicines.

It was about a year , till i had real troubles with statines. A real severe migraine due to statines.

I had to tell my doc.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It was about a year , till i had real troubles with statines. A real severe migraine due to statines.

drugs are not meant to be taken forever.

they can save your life in the short term, but if you dont address the root cause of the issue, your health will not get better. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

they can save your life in the short term, but if you dont address the root cause of the issue, your health will not get better. 

If they find high cholesterol in your blood, you will get statines, for ever.

You can be young and your body is making a lot of cholesterol, you will get statines.

It is the easiest and proven way, data. Statines, low cholesterol, so swallow. 

That is a fact for many people, as pharmaceutical industrie is thriving on it.

You are diabetic, measure and inject, forever.

Thick blood? Measure, medicine, forever.

If you have high blood pressure, they ll give you medicine to reduce, for ever.

Especially, getting older, more and more medicine, as your body change more and more , you are going to die. Fact.

We know a lot, but still we are missing quite some pieces.

Red meat, peanut butter, eggs, you get cancer once red. ALcohol not good.

Ah, becoming vegetarian, also wrong.

And in mean time, I cant drink water as there is micro, nano plastic in it.

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

There are many medications that need to be taken indefinitely.

The "root cause" of dyslipidemia is sometimes genetic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CanNot said:

Just a small update regarding Bempedoic Acid (Nexletol). Looks like it got approved in Thailand. Can someone confirm the legitimacy of the source. 

https://pertento.fda.moph.go.th/FDA_SEARCH_DRUG/SEARCH_DRUG/pop-up_drug.aspx?Newcode_U=U1DR1C1012671501111C

yes, seems to have just been approved this February. May still be hard to locate.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

yes, seems to have just been approved this February. May still be hard to locate.

Will ask my doctor on the next planed visit. Will keep the thread updated 

3 hours ago, CanNot said:

Will ask my doctor on the next planed visit. Will keep the thread updated 

You mean that you fly in just to see your Doctor?   555

On 8/23/2024 at 10:58 AM, Sheryl said:

There are many medications that need to be taken indefinitely.

The "root cause" of dyslipidemia is sometimes genetic.

Fair enough. In some instances it is necessary to take them indefinitely.

For heart disease,  the problem appears to be too complex to fix with a pill. Statins have been used for a long time, but heart disease rates are still high. 

Edited by save the frogs

13 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Fair enough. In some instances it is necessary to take them indefinitely.

For heart disease,  the problem appears to be too complex to fix with a pill. Statins have been used for a long time, but heart disease rates are still high. 

Probably there are millions of people world-wide who have very high LDL levels and don't know it as there are no symptoms. And many who take statins stop taking them for whatever reason. These factors+genetics+poor dietary habits still leads to high heart disease rates.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:27 PM, nickmondo said:

i would not take a statin even if my LDL was (according to my doctor) high.

I cannot advise you what to do, but if i were you I would be doing extensive research on the benefits of statins.  Dont be confused with relative and actual benefits.

Yes, Yes, Yes !    At least read some opinions regarding statins (and cholesterol) from

some other sources.   Not quacks.   Well researched doctors .   Start with google "the great cholesterol myth" (there are other sources as well, but you need to search).     note:  the opinions of these doctors does not conform to the mainstreet government guidelines

Edited by rumak

On 3/22/2024 at 3:45 PM, KhunLA said:

Agree totally 

get off of them.   you can do it .   others........... up to them

45 minutes ago, rumak said:

get off of them.   you can do it .   others........... up to them

Already stopped taking them / statin a while ago.  Also added magnesium to my multi vit & C supplement.   Get plenty of vit D from the sun.  That's the only supplements I take.  Just started the magnesium, and notice a major difference, all for the good.

Give it another couple months, then check cholesterol again.  Should be fine, and HDL/trig ratio a bit better, than before statin.  BP is in perfect range.  Blood sugar lower, but still in the higher range of normal, but better than earlier test.

Really cut back on non fibrous carbs & sugar.  Also a noticeable difference.  Differences being ...

... more energy

... better sleeping

... sleeping - full 6-8 hrs, without need to P at all.   Wouldn't be surprised if my prostate has shrunken back a bit, as urges are no longer there.  Never was a stream problem, just bladder pressure (expanding out) and feeling of being full.  Now P less often, but quite a bit more volume.   Yea, I know, sharing is so fun.

Ditching another med soon, as cut the dose back to once a day, instead of 2X.  Kept the morning dose, as with me all during active day, then cut evening dose, as really don't do much, except TV/movies & sleep.  Haven't noticed anything different since.

Did the same about 6 or 9 months ago, and did notice a difference, some discomfort later in the evening.  Diet change & magnesium, only differences, and one dose seems sufficient now.  I'll cut that in a couple months, and see how it goes.  Since cut the dose, have a wee bit more here than I need.

I lost complete faith / trust in govt, FDA, CDC, NIH, all health advisory folks.  That false A$$ food pyramid, what they call healthy, seems to be the exact opposite.

What a racket, IMHO.   Tell you to eat unhealthy, then sell meds to heal you (supposedly) when you start feeling the effects of their earlier advice :cheesy:

ALL FOR PROFITS :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I lost complete faith / trust in govt, FDA, CDC, NIH, all health advisory folks.  That false A$$ food pyramid, what they call healthy, seems to be the exact opposite.

What a racket, IMHO.   Tell you to eat unhealthy, then sell meds to heal you (supposedly) when you start feeling the effects of their earlier advice :cheesy:

ALL FOR PROFITS

The FDA food pyramid is the scam of the century to get people more sick so they become more dependent on Big Pharma.

Or actually, in many cases the medical establishment is doing it's best, but it doesn't know. And then with all the red tape, things are slow to change.

You need to invest time researching health topics because you cannot fully trust the medical industry.

Supplements are better than Big Pharma pills because they naturally support the body without side effects

But if your situation is severe, statins may save your life, but not a long-term solution

Vit D is important for everything, including heart health

Magnesium is important for everything, including heart health

Vit K2 may help keep calcium out of the arteries

Nattokinese may help heart health

Hawthorn Berry extract is good for the heart

Garlic supplements may be good for the heart

CoQ10

Grapeseed extract and L-Citrulline are blood thinners 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

The FDA food pyramid is the scam of the century to get people more sick so they become more dependent on Big Pharma.

Or actually, in many cases the medical establishment is doing it's best, but it doesn't know. And then with all the red tape, things are slow to change.

You need to invest time researching health topics because you cannot fully trust the medical industry.

Supplements are better than Big Pharma pills because they naturally support the body without side effects

But if your situation is severe, statins may save your life, but not a long-term solution

Vit D is important for everything, including heart health

Magnesium is important for everything, including heart health

Vit K2 may help keep calcium out of the arteries

Nattokinese may help heart health

Hawthorn Berry extract is good for the heart

Garlic supplements may be good for the heart

CoQ10

Grapeseed extract and L-Citrulline are blood thinners 

Been re-educating myself over the last couple years.  Never really followed the food pyramid, but know it.  And now how ridiculous it is.

Did listen to the lower fat, more carbs part of 'unhealthy eating' recommende, after decades eating right, their version of unhealthy.  Blood work & #s always perfect.  Only changed when I started eating their version of healthy.  Luckily only for about 10-15 yrs of 67 yrs.  2 full years now of complete reversal.

As posted, carbs & sugars getting cut down or out.  Already make our own kefir & natto for K1 & K2.  Big fan of garlic & cayenne pepper.  Eat blueberries & strawberries, along with dark chocolate for my sweet tooth fix.

Posted more than a few times, enjoy whole food, home cooking, and little to no processed foods.  Really does make a difference.  Never did live on junk food, thankfully.

Another reason cut statins out, as they inhibit hormone and enzyme (CoQ10) production.  

Khun LA ..... Save the frogs ........   and  ?????

I am in that mindset as well .   Surely on topic for anyone serious about looking for "alternative drugs" .    Or better yet:   alternative options for good health 

6 hours ago, rumak said:

Yes, Yes, Yes !    At least read some opinions regarding statins (and cholesterol) from

some other sources.   Not quacks.   Well researched doctors .   Start with google "the great cholesterol myth" (there are other sources as well, but you need to search).     note:  the opinions of these doctors does not conform to the mainstreet government guidelines

Googling what you want to believe is not "research".

And Google is not designed for, or appropriate for. medical research.  When you google something,  what comes up on the screen is whatever most other people using similar search terms clicked on.  Making it an excellent source for spreading misinformation.

Use scientific search tools like

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/

And enter neutral terms. 

Medscape.com is also good but you have to register a subscription.

Steer clear of youtube videos. Even when taken from a credible source the clips may have been edited to suit someone's ideology. 

• Like 1

only approved sources ....... certainly i do not think of google as a credible source , as they show sources based on their own algorithms .      not what i would consider "fair and unbiased"

Edited by rumak
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, rumak said:

only approved sources ....... certainly i do not think of google as a credible source , as they show sources based on their own algorithms .      not what i would consider "fair and unbiased"

I'm sticking with what has worked with me, and the complete opposite of what the 'professional' are pushing.   

IMHO they're pushing unhealthy diet, lifestyles, and selling meds to correct their advice.   I've proved that to myself.  Weening off their med, while feeling better and blood work #s improve and proving my way is better.

Go figure, and proof enough for me.

When you consider what they told us was safe & effective the last few years, and all their silly recommendations, I completely ignored.   Knowing they were silly without a med degree.

All the crap they've approved, then taken off the market.  Kind of lost all faith / trust in anything they (FDA, CDC, NIH, WHO) state any more.   Too much $$$$ involved for them to remain unbias.

Then when you do the opposite of what they suggest, and everything is better ... nuff said.

Not to say some of the medical break throughs haven't been amazing & saved lives, but the rest, is just profiteering.   Seems for may things, they're much happier making a profit treating, than curing  ... IMHO

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Steer clear of youtube videos. Even when taken from a credible source the clips may have been edited to suit someone's ideology.

Sorry, but I think you're still trapped in the old paradigm, where basically you had to go to med school to learn anything related to disease and health.

Youtube is a major advancement for humanity in terms of highly intelligent and knowledgeable people sharing their knowledge. And of course you can't trust everyone and a lot of people have hidden agendas. But there is also a lot of useful and unbiased info out there.

Just watched this. This guy is a heart surgeon. He shows what he eats in day. He is a heart surgeon but is eating eggs and burgers. Contrary to many opinions out there.

Whatever. Not saying anyone should take his advice. But the more varied opinions you take on, the less narrow-minded you become and the more you can make your own decisions. 

And the point is 10 years ago there was no such thing as a heart surgeon giving advice on Youtube. And to me, this guy seems honest. And he is probably giving better advice than the random doctor you might get at a local hospital. 

Times have changed. And it's best not to stay stuck in the previous century and learn to make use of modern technology. 

• Agree 1

There is no question but that the first line of approach should be diet and lifestyle. And this will be enough for some people, maybe even most people. For others, it will be enough initially but as they age, it may not be.

However there are people for whom no amount of dietary control and exercise etc will work -- especially those with familial dyslipidemias, which are genetic.

There are also people who are unable or unwilling to sufficiently alter their lifestyles/diets, and they should not be shamed or criticized if they opt for medication instead.

The topic of this thread is medications, specifically medication alternatives to statins. Please stay on topic.

Various Youtibe and other social media links have been removed in keeping with forum rules:

"18. Social media content is acceptable in most forums. However, in factual areas such as, but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency and must include a link to the original source."

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...