Visa-free access to the UK in new roadmap pact signed in Bangkok on flying visit by Cameron

webfact

Good for genuine holiday makers with their UK partner.

But sadly I know for a fact that many Thais work during their holidays there, cheap labor. There are thousands of Thai restaurants and street markets vendors with long queues at lunch time. I went to one in Reigate, £1.00 for one spring roll!!

Some Thais there are married and waiting up to 5 years for their permanent residency.

Some I met have been married to a Farang and living there for years!

Cameron is after his prudency lark! Thatcher did it the the 80’s. Important hundreds of Filipino Nurses so she then cut the budget for Nurse Training in the UK. Then later, European nurses.Communication with patients was poor due to comprehension and the quality of care deteriorated. I dealt with most complaints as a Manager. Extra training with no training budget!

why isn’t there a reciprocal arrangement for healthcare and pensions. Our pensions here are frozen!

It could also be a financial nightmare for the Banks. I know it used to be easy to get a credit card and some other nationalities ran up their cards to the limit then cleared off.

That was around the time of the financial crisis.

you can’t do that in Thailand, you have to pay upfront a large sum of money ( depending on the credit limit you want) before they will issue you a credit card! Well the Government banks anyway and they guarantee you 1 million return of your savings if they crash! UK won’t do that, would they?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

That was around the time of the financial crisis.

you can’t do that in Thailand, you have to pay upfront a large sum of money ( depending on the credit limit you want) before they will issue you a credit card! Well the Government banks anyway and they guarantee you 1 million return of your savings if they crash! UK won’t do that, would they?

Maybe you should check on that.

A million Thai baht is about  21,500 GBP.

Think it's 85.000 GBP if the uk bank goes under. = about 4 million baht.

Or did i read your post wrong.

Edited by quake
  • Love It 1

Just pretending to play ball.....to make them feel good. 

Meanwhile South Korea has found themselves again in the position of needing to offer an amnesty for Thais overstaying/working illegally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mancub said:

Just pretending to play ball.....to make them feel good. 

Meanwhile South Korea has found themselves again in the position of needing to offer an amnesty for Thais overstaying/working illegally.

Yeah, Think it's  just a dog and pony show from Cameron.

• Agree 2

Would be interesting to see that road map. Endless loop? Otherwise incomprehensible so that neither party can understand it, leading to a crash in every turn? Same as Thailand road map to democracy?

• Like 2

Would be interesting to see that road map. Endless loop? Otherwise incomprehensible so that neither party can understand it, leading to a crash in every turn? Same as Thailand road map to democracy?

32 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

you can’t do that in Thailand, you have to pay upfront a large sum of money ( depending on the credit limit you want) before they will issue you a credit card!

I have never had to pay any money up front and I have several Thai credit cards with KBank, KTB and Krungsri. 

Olmate you appear to have a very prejudiced view of NZ - Aust travel. It has been many many years since a reciprocal agreement of travel by either country  did not require a passport.

Australia did deport some NZ criminals some of whom had lived and grown up in Aust. nearly all their life (501`s I think called). NZ did not deport criminal australians and there are a lot more australians living in NZ than you would think.

Currently in jail in NZ is an australian convicted of terrorism and is the biggest mass murderer in our history. Shame about some bad kiwis isn`t it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I wonder if they will un-freeze British Expats pensions

Do the Thai's have any input into whether the UK should unfreeze pensions for their own UK pensioners??

So maybe the next thing might b a "reciprocal" agreement  between the 2 countries which would mean that living in Thailand I would get the annual increments to my Old Age State Pension as I would do if I lived in the Phillippines? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

Do the Thai's have any input into whether the UK should unfreeze pensions for their own UK pensioners??

They could sign an agreement to talk about it in future meetings! 🙂 

• Haha 1

Whether or not there is a free visa entry, many foreign tourists choose to stay. End up staying too long and becoming illegal. 

Let us not complain that Thai people overstaying abroad have become illegal. The same goes for foreigners who stay in Thailand; many overstay and become illegal residents. 

2 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

I know lots of Foreigners that have taken their Thai girlfriends to England for a holiday and stayed there and got work. one is teaching English in a public school another is a waitress in a country hotel and another one works in a bakery.. I speak to them most weeks on FB. they used to by my students in a private language school years ago.

"they used to by my students in a private language school years ago."

??????????????????

Think you should apply for a place at the Public School to learn English!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, macgver said:

Whether or not there is a free visa entry, many foreign tourists choose to stay. End up staying too long and becoming illegal. 

Let us not complain that Thai people overstaying abroad have become illegal. The same goes for foreigners who stay in Thailand; many overstay and become illegal residents. 

"many overstay and become illegal residents."

Hence the current witch hunt for these dangerous criminals that are causing havoc to the tourist trade! 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

New Zealand woke up & went back to making Thais apply for a visa and of course, Thailand responded to that decision by doing the same thing to NZ passport holders. 

New Zealanders can still enter Thailand without a visa for 30 days, which can be extended a further 30 days. 60 if you have a Thai spouse/family.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ronster said:

Make sure they pay 3 times the cost for wine and 10 times the cost for visiting certain tourist areas  👍

And make sure they have adequate medical insurance or charge them extortionate prices for private treatment.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

And make sure they have adequate medical insurance or charge them extortionate prices for private treatment.

Yep, at least 3 times the actual cost.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tazmo said:

you can’t do that in Thailand, you have to pay upfront a large sum of money ( depending on the credit limit you want) before they will issue you a credit card! 

Really - I have three Thai bank credit cards and have never paid upfront,  even when issued. Signed the documents and the cards arrived a few days later. Makes no sense as if you deposit does the credit card not now become a debit card? 

• Love It 1

21 minutes ago, ronster said:

Make sure they pay 3 times the cost for wine and 10 times the cost for visiting certain tourist areas  👍

Yeah...that'll teach em. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Hopefully, there will be some benefits for long term expats in Thailand too.

What like.

O visa, 12 months retirement extensions at 7/11.  

Edited by quake
  • Haha 1