Visa-free access to the UK in new roadmap pact signed in Bangkok on flying visit by Cameron

webfact

If only it was that simple. There will be a massive increase in the number of Thais who are refused entry into the UK on arrival there. They will be put straight onto the next flight back to Thailand. No appeal against that, and their ticket cost will be lost. Plus, as already mentioned above, there will be an increase in the trafficking of children and sex workers. It's not necessarily a positive move for Thai travellers, and there are clearly some advantages to the visa regime.

That said, many people probably don't know that, even if you don't require a visa to enter the UK, as might be the case if this proposal goes through, you can still apply for one. Doing that is a sort of "pre-clearance", and it would perhaps make Thai travellers to the UK feel a little "safer" about arriving in the UK. I think that process is still available.

If this proposal does go ahead, it doesn't guarantee entry to everyone or to anyone. That will depend on the Border Force Officer's decision, rather than the current Entry Clearance Officer.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe they land and are accommodated, taken care of. Once they have applied for asylum they are (they get refugee status). I am very much of the belief the UK really does not tell us the true total cost of all this, it is politically a hot subject.

Genuine Asylum Seekers are not illegal immigrants. Illegal Immigrants do not have a right to remain or claim any benefits and the current mess is squarely on the present Conservative Govt who have been in power well over a decade but have done little to solve the problem of illegal migration. The Brexit debacle has compounded the whole sorry mess.

• Agree 2

Conservative and Labour are the same clowns on many issues.

( remember that fool Tony Blair )

We need a new party in charge.

With some tuff action on many issues.

BS asylum seekers should be top of the list.

Ps How many asylum seekers are refused and sent back.

and sent back to where. 

( Garry Lineker's house ) :cheesy:

Edited by quake

On 3/25/2024 at 6:19 PM, Mike Teavee said:

I agree with you that there's not much talent to choose from on either side but my main issue with Cameron was the complete lack of planning for what should happen if people voted for Brexit. 

No matter how remote he thought the chances of it happening were (& as we all know it did happen) he should have had a plan (or at least a plan for how to put a plan together) for what to do, but it felt like he had nothing & just ran away leaving it to others to pick up his mess. 

I'm not saying that achieving Brexit is easy, nearly 8 years later there still doesn't seem to be a truly workable solution, but to be in that position & have absolutely no plan for what to do following the referendum is unforgivable.

Yes true.

To be honest I think Boris Johnson backed the best idea, which probably came from Dominic Cummings. The idea was, in the event of a leave vote, which wasn't expected, negotiations would take place with the EU. This would be similar to those undertaken earlier by Cameron, but with the extra leverage of the leave vote. I don't know what could have been achieved but that was certainly when we had the strongest hand. I'm guessing the idea Cummings had was to calm the fears of those on the fence, that voting leave was a dangerous, one way leap.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, quake said:

Yes.

But you just claim asylum and it's open sesame.

and it's game on,  for countless years, scamming the system.

All at the uk tax payers expense.

It  needs to stop now.

Don't see asylum seekers living on the streets.

But I see my fellow countrymen on the streets, in every town and city

throughout the uk.

What a disgrace it all is.

And yes I'm am a uk Tax payer like many here. :jap:

If asylum seekers and any other immigrants were just refused entry, do you think the government would suddenly house those on the streets, or use the money for tax cuts? Probably for the rich. Especially since some in government think homelessness is a lifestyle choice. One that seems to increase in popularity under a Tory government.

Asylum seekers are provided for because they aren't allowed to work. Some countries, I think France is one, allow some to find employment to support themselves.

Homelessness is a disgrace, as you say but I don't think it's as closely connected to asylum seekers as you appear to suggest.

• Agree 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:00 PM, MicroB said:

Once again, no time frame, so meaningless statement and the previous correspondant claimed to have lived in a "city" in  the North West of England, while ranting on about kids being kidnapped (ignoring that the most notorious case that happened when he was a kid), heroin (while saying taking pills was totally fine, and elsewhere, supporting cocaine usage), moaning about having his religion being changed (and he's probably like 90% of Britons, not really religious anyhow). He also ignored we tried to change their religion as well (missionaries etc).

This discourse started because Sam Bum decided, on a thread about the UK and Thailand exploring a possible partnership, to bring in a well known anti-immigrant (anti-Muslim) trope about a supposed Swiss mayor refusing a mosque to be built. He brought up the Muslim faith for some reason only known to himself. And then he brings up Race. Completely random and off topic to the matter in  hand. Thread hijackers have to suck it up, when I see it for what it is, and he doesn't like it with home truths.

You have a bad habit of misquoting people to suit your agenda:-

"Once again, no time frame, so meaningless statement and the previous correspondant claimed to have lived in a "city" in  the North West of England, while ranting on about kids being kidnapped (ignoring that the most notorious case that happened when he was a kid), heroin (while saying taking pills was totally fine, and elsewhere, supporting cocaine usage), moaning about having his religion being changed"

"Once again, no time frame,..." who else on this part of the thread didn't quote a time frame?

"Claimed to have lived in a "city" in the North West of England" Once again pure speculation on your part that someone is making false claims.

"...ranting on about kids being kidnapped....." Who said anything about kids "being kidnapped"? 

"....heroin (while saying taking pills was totally fine, and elsewhere, supporting cocaine usage)"

YOU were the one who mentioned heroin, and I didn't say I supported cocaine usage - I said that cocaine could be injected or snorted, and at no time did I say that I supported either.

"....moaning about having his religion being changed"

Once again, pure conjecture on your part - I never mentioned ANYTHING about having my religion changed.

Misquotes from start to finish - you don't even qualify for a "Sad" emoticon!

Edited by sambum
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, kimamey said:

If asylum seekers and any other immigrants were just refused entry, do you think the government would suddenly house those on the streets, or use the money for tax cuts? Probably for the rich. Especially since some in government think homelessness is a lifestyle choice. One that seems to increase in popularity under a Tory government.

Asylum seekers are provided for because they aren't allowed to work. Some countries, I think France is one, allow some to find employment to support themselves.

Homelessness is a disgrace, as you say but I don't think it's as closely connected to asylum seekers as you appear to suggest.

Tax Cuts thanks for the giggle.

But asylum should be halted right away for the uk.  and re-assessed on all levels.

Way to much pish taking going.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You look like a Chinaman to me.

Or a Farage.

Anything is better than the sad acts,  we have now running the Muppet show.

Edited by quake

4 minutes ago, quake said:

Tax Cuts thanks for the giggle.

But asylum should be halted right away for the uk.  and re-assessed on all levels.

Way to much pish taking going.

Maybe we need to deal with it better. Other countries manage it.

Asylum, illegal immigration and legal immigration are difficult problems but I'm not sure just trying to stop it will have much success. It seems to be more of a problem under the Torys than it was before. My guess is that it's a useful problem for them as they can claim to have the answer if they are re-elected and other smaller parties can use it as well. Not unlike the Trump backing Republicans in the US.

To be honest the numbers coming over in small boats isn't that big, it's the danger of the crossing which is more of a problem. This is something the government is claiming is their main concern, although I'm not entirely convinced. A big problem is that in most cases, with the exception of the schemes for those from Afghanistan, Ukraine and Hong Kong, you have to be in the UK to claim asylum. I seem to remember that at a select committee hearing last year a government minister was asked what options there were for those wishing to seek asylum, to do so from outside the UK, since the government were pushing for changes to exclude those who entered illegally from claiming asylum. They had no answer to that.

None of this helps the homeless, who could probably aided if the government wanted to. I think there are more homeless people now, and certainly more using food banks. Maybe seeing why might help.

32 minutes ago, quake said:

Anything is better than the sad acts,  we have now running the Muppet show.

No disagreement from me on that count but it looks like an enduring quality issue.

"The quality of those seeking to govern is diminishing; that in turn breeds disrespect for politicians, which makes the job less appealing than ever."

https://news.sky.com/story/adam-boulton-quitter-politicians-an-impossible-job-or-the-wrong-people-at-the-wrong-time-13099373

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Maybe we need to deal with it better. Other countries manage it.

Asylum, illegal immigration and legal immigration are difficult problems but I'm not sure just trying to stop it will have much success. It seems to be more of a problem under the Torys than it was before. My guess is that it's a useful problem for them as they can claim to have the answer if they are re-elected and other smaller parties can use it as well. Not unlike the Trump backing Republicans in the US.

To be honest the numbers coming over in small boats isn't that big, it's the danger of the crossing which is more of a problem. This is something the government is claiming is their main concern, although I'm not entirely convinced. A big problem is that in most cases, with the exception of the schemes for those from Afghanistan, Ukraine and Hong Kong, you have to be in the UK to claim asylum. I seem to remember that at a select committee hearing last year a government minister was asked what options there were for those wishing to seek asylum, to do so from outside the UK, since the government were pushing for changes to exclude those who entered illegally from claiming asylum. They had no answer to that.

None of this helps the homeless, who could probably aided if the government wanted to. I think there are more homeless people now, and certainly more using food banks. Maybe seeing why might help.

Well that's your take on it. fair enough.

But for me. we need to stop the boats right now. ( halt asylum at our shores)

We have no idea who these people are, they destroy there documents before setting sail from France, and have a ready made bunch of BS answers to start the asylum process. all 100% lies.

The uk public does not deserve to have these POS in there communities.

let alone paying for it all.

Yes your right,  the government could do more to help the uk homeless.

but it's all on the back burner with the heat turned off.

There seams to be many more agender's highlighted on the Tv at weekends that are more important then the uk homeless.

Ps. Here is a 2020 asylum winner.

Baptized on 2018. what a nice chap.

image.jpeg.53468b0e4ab3461c5965f6286fafe6fb.jpeg

Edited by quake

3 hours ago, Tony M said:
If only it was that simple. There will be a massive increase in the number of Thais who are refused entry into the UK on arrival there. They will be put straight onto the next flight back to Thailand. No appeal against that, and their ticket cost will be lost. Plus, as already mentioned above, there will be an increase in the trafficking of children and sex workers. It's not necessarily a positive move for Thai travellers, and there are clearly some advantages to the visa regime.

That said, many people probably don't know that, even if you don't require a visa to enter the UK, as might be the case if this proposal goes through, you can still apply for one. Doing that is a sort of "pre-clearance", and it would perhaps make Thai travellers to the UK feel a little "safer" about arriving in the UK. I think that process is still available.

If this proposal does go ahead, it doesn't guarantee entry to everyone or to anyone. That will depend on the Border Force Officer's decision, rather than the current Entry Clearance Officer.

Finally a rational, on topic post that is genuinely helpful, rather than all the off-topic personal posts and inflammatory comments about asylum seekers.  Thanks @Tony M

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, sambum said:

You have a bad habit of misquoting people to suit your agenda:-

"Once again, no time frame, so meaningless statement and the previous correspondant claimed to have lived in a "city" in  the North West of England, while ranting on about kids being kidnapped (ignoring that the most notorious case that happened when he was a kid), heroin (while saying taking pills was totally fine, and elsewhere, supporting cocaine usage), moaning about having his religion being changed"

"Once again, no time frame,..." who else on this part of the thread didn't quote a time frame?

"Claimed to have lived in a "city" in the North West of England" Once again pure speculation on your part that someone is making false claims.

"...ranting on about kids being kidnapped....." Who said anything about kids "being kidnapped"? 

"....heroin (while saying taking pills was totally fine, and elsewhere, supporting cocaine usage)"

YOU were the one who mentioned heroin, and I didn't say I supported cocaine usage - I said that cocaine could be injected or snorted, and at no time did I say that I supported either.

"....moaning about having his religion being changed"

Once again, pure conjecture on your part - I never mentioned ANYTHING about having my religion changed.

Misquotes from start to finish - you don't even qualify for a "Sad" emoticon!

Ok, obviously someone took over your account, because you never said any of these things:

I grew up in an era when (in my city at least) there were no brown or black or  yellow faces.

I lived in the far North West of England

(Large scale immigration started 3 generations ago, so it is reasonable to ask for some sort of context tom a statement like "I had never seen a non-white person before when I was a child". There are some parts of the UK where I might think that would be a reasonable statement at a certain point in time. But as you intimate, you came of age in the 1960s, having been completely oblivious to the concept of a yellow/brown/black face, despite living in one of the Northern cities, except in the pages of your geography text books (grammar school?), then in your early 20s, become an avid listener of Enoch Powell, while at the same time being a habitual drug user in order to get by in some sort of musical entourage, I would naturally raise my eyebrows at that statement (whether any of it was true, that in fact, you were an ultra right wing hippy, and an admirer of Powell, when in fact, as you approach the end of your life, you have turned into your dad (who probably didn't like the idea of children taking drugs).

I could go out and play alone in my street without fear of abduction or interference

(where I come from, "abduction" is kidnapping. It was a presumption on my part that you were describing yourself as a child. My mistake, you were describing yourself as an adult playing on the street without fear of "interferance" (rape)). If a child, pretty sad, that you had to play alone, no friends to play with. Hence later on turning to drugs to get on in life. Its a pretty strange to say, I suspect you are referring to the Rochdale case, something a lot of your ilk are obsessed with.

drugs were something you got from the doctor when you were ill

helped along by a few pills along the way, and later on, a bit of "Wacky Baccy

(You need to check your account credentials. Because someone else pretending to be you in a post admitted to being a cocaine user, as well as LSD. That same person though said they drew a line at "smack". Some one admitting to taking illicit oral narcotics, illegal hallucinogens, cannabis and cocaine I would suspect of having a drug problem and being used to coming into contact with organised crime (the drug dealers)). I don't know any criminals, you did, because how else did you purchase your drugs. Not from Boots.

then try to change the religion of my country into the religion of the country they were desperately trying to escape from

(My mistake, I didn't know you were a member of a sect/cult, and not part of the Established Church).

When you hijack a thread, be prepared to be taken to task with the statements that you make.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:46 PM, DonniePeverley said:

No you haven't - they just tell you have made contributions. You still have dual citizenship too, something that should also be stopped. So you have that security of returning back home. 

If a Thai leaves the country they don't get a pension from the state. 

I don't have duel citizenship I have a retirement visa extension. Also, the "contributions" are compulsory and you need to have 25 years worth to qualify. If you go to live outside the UK the payments can be frozen depending on where you live.

The Thai pension system has nothing to do with this.

On 3/25/2024 at 7:17 PM, MicroB said:

Not all of them. One could have gone to 6th Form college (Labour Party reform in the mid-70s); 2 years NI credited. Then 3 years undergrad, on a full grant (zero NI, unless you got a summer job), then postgrad (zero NI, no summers off), paid by the state. Then a job in the US, followed by middle east. Come back elderly, sick and impoverished because you've blown the lot on a wild life. Straight away get full NHS cover. You won't have much of a state pension, because you never paid in, but you will be entitled to pensioner's credit. NHS cover is nothing to do with how much you pay in, otherwise you are denying treatment for the chronically sick.

You need 25 years for a full pension. Higher education does not take 20 years. Working overseas is a life choice. The NHS is free for British citizens (and just about anyone these days). Benefits are the same, but it isn't much if you have blown everything else on self indulgence.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Genuine Asylum Seekers are not illegal immigrants. Illegal Immigrants do not have a right to remain or claim any benefits and the current mess is squarely on the present Conservative Govt who have been in power well over a decade but have done little to solve the problem of illegal migration. The Brexit debacle has compounded the whole sorry mess.

If they arrive on a boat from Calais, they are. Anyhow, it is all off topic as is your Brexit nonsense. It is about Thais being able to travel Visa free to the UK....and admitted as tourists. I say good to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

If they arrive on a boat from Calais, they are. Anyhow, it is all off topic as is your Brexit nonsense. It is about Thais being able to travel Visa free to the UK....and admitted as tourists. I say good to that.

It's not 'Brexit Nonsense'. Before Brexit there was a returns agreement with the EU whereby boat illegals could be returned to France. There is no such agreement now that the UK has 'taken back control'. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You need 25 years for a full pension. Higher education does not take 20 years. Working overseas is a life choice. The NHS is free for British citizens (and just about anyone these days). Benefits are the same, but it isn't much if you have blown everything else on self indulgence.

So you acknowledge that a Briton living overseas can return to the UK and sponge off the State despite never paying a penning in tax of NI?

43 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

It's not 'Brexit Nonsense'. Before Brexit there was a returns agreement with the EU whereby boat illegals could be returned to France. There is no such agreement now that the UK has 'taken back control'. 

Brexit happened over 4 years ago.  Time to wipe off the tears

Pre Brexit only 1 in 42 illegals were returned so negligible benefit from EU membership there!

It is about time a today  solution was found rather than carping on about prior ineptitudes and the persistent ones of the French and the EU. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

What's the big deal here? If the UK can no longer use the EU's 'buy back' option and return the illegals to France, just send them to Rwanda, no?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicroB said:

So you acknowledge that a Briton living overseas can return to the UK and sponge off the State despite never paying a penning in tax of NI?

Yup. Works for me. Ain't life grand?

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What's the big deal here? If the UK can no longer use the EU's 'buy back' option and return the illegals to France, just send them to Rwanda, no?

Yeah, £1,800,000 for EACH of the first 300 refugees....absolute bargain isn't it.

• Confused 1