Absolute poverty: UK sees biggest rise for 30 years

Social Media

2 hours ago, RayC said:

Any evidence to support this contention that lots of migrants to the UK are unmotivated and undocumented?

You're right. I'm sure these guys have all their paperwork in order 😄.

image.png.cb37ef8eebc0cff86957ab49ec11b75f.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My personal poverty (and the poverty of my former wife and 4 kids) was inflicted entirely by the UK family court and divorce.

Would point out UK benefits is usually only available to women with kids and immigrants (of any flavour).

Rather proves my point.  Benefits in the UK are available to all, including young, single men, as well as women, supposedly seeking work, even of they are doing nothing of the kind.  No particular group is excluded from claiming benefits,  if they meet the criteria by virtue of having no income. 

10 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Brits cannot solve their own problems but all of them on this forum have all the answers for the USA

They live in Pattaya or Nakhon Nowhere. 30,000 baht a month.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO anyone that claims to be poor, but uses a dishwasher, smokes tobacco, uses illegal drugs or drinks alcohol is not poor. They are IMO stupid.

"If you think money will make you happy you have never had much"

Mike Tyson

9 minutes ago, Dolf said:

"If you think money will make you happy you have never had much"

Mike Tyson

“Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.”

Spike Milligan 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Be careful with that Brit bashing of yours, there’s folk here who get awfully upset about it.

I think that was a fair post. A lot of folks might get upset but if they are honest with themselves, they will know why those comments are made.

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Or might it be that our government is less focused on the needs of the many and too concerned about the needs of the few? 

Certainly, regardless of it's provenance, 14 years of Tory government has been a disaster for the UK. This is on their watch.

You forgot the 10 years before that.

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Huge generalization. Some do, some don't. In my opinion legal immigrants tend to do well, illegal immigrants are a scourge. 

What it does do is put huge strain on housing, schooling, the NHS, the police etc. 

A bigger huge strain on the NHS, schooling, housing and the police is the current government 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How did you heat your water with no heating?

Electric shower. Kettle.

8 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How did you prevent your water pipes freezing and bursting? 

Lagging

8 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How did you prevent condensation and mold? 

Air circulation. Keep the windows open for 30 minutes or so each day.

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

So you didn't shower, and didn't wash your clothes? 

No need for heating to shower or wash clothes.

10 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You expect babies, young children and frail elderly people to live with no heating in a UK winter in this day and age? 

Why is this day and age different to others?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Legal migrants pay IHS for NHS. Currently £1035 per year. They must pay it even if they are working, paying tax and NI, which most of them do in order to get a visa in the first place and to renew.

I don't understand this idea that they put a strain on housing. All of the immigrants I work with privately rent their homes. Places that were empty prior to the renting. How can people renting empty properties be a strain?

With regards to police, are you suggesting legal migrants are less law abiding than others?

Schooling? Not where I live but I guess that could be different by region.

There's a massive lack of housing. More people increases the problem. Doesn't matter what they do. It's a numbers game. 

Same for school places. Same for nhs beds. The uk has enough people. We can be choosy and bring in the cream of the crop. Not everyone who fancies it.

28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

14 years of failing to build affordable housing and the previous madness of selling off council houses coming home to roost.

Wouldn't be as big a problem if we weren't importing hundreds of thousands of immigrants every year, ruining the local culture in the process. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

14 years of failing to build affordable housing and the previous madness of selling off council houses coming home to roost.

You forgot the 10 years before that too. Blair encouraged the onset of high immigration but how many houses did he build? There has been a lag ever since.

Before immigration increased, after the creation of the EU and then Blair, council houses were offered by Thatcher to existing tenants to give them a chance to won their own home. Criminal!

Edited by nauseus

45 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Until the ginormous transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich as experienced over the past 50 years is addressed and tax avoiding mega corporations are forced to actually pay some tax the situation will get worse. The  current inflation only exacerbates the problem as those with assets see an increase in their wealth while those without see only higher prices for staples.

Wealth — the value of a household’s property and financial assets, minus the value of its debts — is much more highly concentrated than income. The best survey data show that the share of wealth held by the top 1 percent rose from 30 percent in 1989 to 39 percent in 2016, while the share held by the bottom 90 percent fell from 33 percent to 23 percent.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-and-inequality/a-guide-to-statistics-on-historical-trends-in-income-inequality

Your example concerns the US rather than the UK but I am both staggered and inclined to agree with one of your posts, on principle.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Your example concerns the US rather than the UK but I am both staggered and inclined to agree with one of your posts, on principle.

Welcome to the marxist party LOL.

• Sad 1