Absolute poverty: UK sees biggest rise for 30 years

Social Media

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Could you explain why given that Brexit has delivered few, if any, benefits?

Perhaps so, but Brexit was the original division upon which these other fractures have emerged.

This is not a Brexit thread, I know a few here wait in the wings for a Brexit dig, but it does get a bit boring, Raymond....😉 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You're gonna have to back this up with some facts.

EDIT: I did it for you! White people have the lowest rate of unemployment out of all the ethnic groups, according the UK give website.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/work-pay-and-benefits/unemployment-and-economic-inactivity/unemployment/latest/

Are you f...ing joking? 

Screenshot_20240323_125502_Chrome.jpg

The section containing Figure 2 in the attached link contains the more relevant data

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/migrants-in-the-uk-labour-market-an-overview/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

They are the ones allowing the extortionate prices of the utilities...so people can't afford to heat their homes!  

The high prices are more to do with high taxation in fuel and record massive profits for the gas and water companies...which are foreign owned...

No, the prices are not mainly about that. If they were, they would be constantly high.

The burden would have been a lot higher for everyone had the government not stepped in with payments to all. They continue to help the more needy with payment now.

The utility companies have millions of shareholders. Many UK based, many pension and investment companies, from which many of the UK public benefit.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

No, I didn't, but I am of the opinion that the last 14 years are more relevant. 

Of course the last 14 years are more relevant, in terms of numbers, but the trend was set during from 2001, under Blair & Co.

The Tories must have concluded that having our noses rubbed in diversity was a good option. I expect that thinking will change after the next GE. 

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

And the government under Thatcher sold off all our council housing and did not build any more. 

No, they did not. 

If that were true, how did Angela Rayner manage to buy her council house in 2007?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, RayC said:

Trans, I didn't bring Brexit up so point the finger elsewhere.

However, once Brexit is brought into the discussion, I feel that it is my civic duty to correct the falicy that it has been of  net benefit to the country😉

He did bring up Brexit so!. Go back one page.

Pants on fire! 

image.jpeg.33268f943183ca07f292f855817906d2.jpeg

On 3/22/2024 at 6:43 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Brits cannot solve their own problems but all of them on this forum have all the answers for the USA

Did you know that when America sh*ts the bed, the whole world, including Britain, has to lie in it?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No, they did not. 

If that were true, how did Angela Rayner manage to buy her council house in 2007?

Yes they did. View the following and be enlightened.

NumberofhousesbuiltintheUK1949-2022.png.3d0c7ae2f8515a30372eeac79e7250fe.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/746101/completion-of-new-dwellings-uk/

My mum and dad weren't allowed to buy their council house in Aberdeen in 2017? Because they lived in what the local council called a 'stressed' housing area, and selling off local authority housing in stressed areas isn't allowed.

Rayner's council housing in Stockport wasn't 'stressed' in 2007.

Why was my parent's housing area stressed? Look at the graph above.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes they did. View the following and be enlightened.

NumberofhousesbuiltintheUK1949-2022.png.3d0c7ae2f8515a30372eeac79e7250fe.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/746101/completion-of-new-dwellings-uk/

My mum and dad weren't allowed to buy their council house in Aberdeen in 2017? Because they lived in what the local council called a 'stressed' housing area, and selling off local authority housing in stressed areas isn't allowed.

Rayner's council housing in Stockport wasn't 'stressed' in 2007.

Why was my parent's housing area stressed? Look at the graph above.

The poster I quoted said " 

42 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

And the government under Thatcher sold off all our council housing and did not build any more. 

That is incorrect. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Are you f...ing joking? 

Are you?

Can you tell the difference between an immigrant and a British ethnic group? Do you even comprehend what you are copy and pasting from your chosen government website?

No, I thought not on BOTH counts.

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out, recreational  drugs and alcohol are all that make poverty bearable.

When  you spend your money on drinking and drugs and then complain because you are hungry

Getting off your trolley on a daily basis is a huge expense , and the money could be better  spent on other things like food and heating  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

When  you spend your money on drinking and drugs and then complain because you are hungry

Getting off your trolley on a daily basis is a huge expense , and the money could be better  spent on other things like food and heating  

Not sure anyone needs heating, sleeping bags work well even outside in the snow.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Are you?

Can you tell the difference between an immigrant and a British ethnic group?

Can you tell the difference when they are tearing down the flag together?

Do you even comprehend what you are copy and pasting from your chosen government website?

I quoted THE OFFICIAL government website (GOV.UK)

No, I thought not on BOTH counts.

(゜o゜)\(-_-)

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

He did bring up Brexit so!. Go back one page.

Pants on fire! 

image.jpeg.33268f943183ca07f292f855817906d2.jpeg

Oh dear ... Are you really that desperate to avoid answering my question about the benefits of Brexit that you resort to posting outright lies in an attempt to divert attention? Thought that you were better than that, nauseus.

If you refer to page 1, you will see that sirineou was the first person to mention Brexit in this thread, followed by herfiehandbag. I replied to herfie (my first post in this thread).

If you must make up things can I suggest that you at least make it a bit more difficult to disprove the lie.

24 minutes ago, RayC said:

Oh dear ... Are you really that desperate to avoid answering my question about the benefits of Brexit that you resort to posting outright lies in an attempt to divert attention? Thought that you were better than that, nauseus.

If you refer to page 1, you will see that sirineou was the first person to mention Brexit in this thread, followed by herfiehandbag. I replied to herfie (my first post in this thread).

If you must make up things can I suggest that you at least make it a bit more difficult to disprove the lie.

Take it easy. You are correct about who was first in with the Brexit mention. My mistake rather than an intentional lie. Apologies.,

I'm not desperate to avoid answering your question. I'm just bored with it after how many times now?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Take it easy. You are correct about who was first in with the Brexit mention. My mistake rather than an intentional lie. Apologies.

Thank you for the retraction and apology. It is appreciated.

• Thanks 1

The issue often in the UK is families who have no working person producing an income.

Many would rather rely on Government handouts / benfits to live, and pay for everything!

That's one reason why illegal immigrants much prefer to live legally and illegally in the UK.

However, don't believe this is worse or special to the UK, it is a common situtation in virtually all countries, whether advertised or admitted.

I will say though I feel sorry for low income families who work and struggle to survive.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 4:21 AM, Celsius said:

like most brits in Thailand 

Do you recall being dropped on your head when you were a child?

• Haha 2

On 3/22/2024 at 8:41 AM, Nick Carter icp said:

Having recently been in the UK , its the immigrants who do much of the work and its often the White British people who are too lazy to work .

The immigrants don't go to the UK to doss around

Surely you mean...'legal immigrants'..??

19 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Your idea it to go back to good old Dickensian times when poor people died from cold?  

No , no one dies from the cold these days , Houses are insulated and double glazed 

I often see my poor neighbours with the central heating on and windows open and complain because they cannot pay the heating bills .

Myself having lived in Thailand for a while , being cold is a luxury and no need for air con 

Just put warm clothes on and sleep with a woolly hat 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I’m expect you might have a particular individual in mind, perhaps someone close or a family member.

But it’s a bit of a sweeping generalization once you start to apply that to millions of people living in poverty in the UK of 2024.

Don’t you think?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

The issue often in the UK is families who have no working person producing an income.

Many would rather rely on Government handouts / benfits to live, and pay for everything!

That's one reason why illegal immigrants much prefer to live legally and illegally in the UK.

However, don't believe this is worse or special to the UK, it is a common situtation in virtually all countries, whether advertised or admitted.

I will say though I feel sorry for low income families who work and struggle to survive.

There’s no reason for such ignorance.

Try reading:

https://www.jrf.org.uk/uk-poverty-2024-the-essential-guide-to-understanding-poverty-in-the-uk#:~:text=More than 1 in 5,in 10) working-age adults

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1