Absolute poverty: UK sees biggest rise for 30 years

Social Media

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The old fogies aren't riding around in subsidised and heated public transport just because they haven't got a car. It's because they can't afford to heat their 2-bedroom semi-detached in Accrington (for example).

Old people do not ride around on public transport just to keep warm 

28 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

They are not free bus passes , we pay for those bus passes from our taxes .

People should pay for their own bus passes of they want to ride on public transport .

Younger people who cannot afford a car are paying for older people who can afford a car to also have bus passes .

You are beginning to sound like one of the less likable characters from a Charles Dickens novel.

There are a number of discounted travel options for young people.

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I thought you would have learned the lesson about making such categorical statements, or at least checked before hitting send:

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1604462/state-pension-free-bus-pass-boris-johnson-gmb-interview/amp

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are beginning to sound like one of the less likable characters from a Charles Dickens novel.

There are a number of discounted travel options for young people.

All paid for by other people , 6.70 GBP to go one stop on London Underground

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I thought you would have learned the lesson about making such categorical statements, or at least checked before hitting send:

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1604462/state-pension-free-bus-pass-boris-johnson-gmb-interview/amp

That is one person who makes that claim .

Why doesn't she go and sit in a library , where there's newspapers and books to read and computers and heated as well , and the doors don't open every few minutes 

16 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The bus passes are paid out from the current taxes , not taxes previously paid . 

What have the 'previously paid' UK taxes been used for? Have they all been squandered year-on-year by the profligate malfeasance of previous administrations, regardless of their party?

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Why doesn't she go and sit in a library , where there's newspapers and books to read and computers and heated as well , and the doors don't open every few minutes 

If she's lucky.

"Almost 800 libraries have closed since the Conservative-Lib Dem government implemented austerity in 2010, new figures reveal.

The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy’s (Cipfa) annual survey of the UK’s libraries, excluding Northern Ireland, shows there are 3,583 library branches still open in the UK – 35 fewer than last year. Since 2010, 773 have closed.

The closure of almost a fifth of the UK’s libraries over the last 10 years comes against a backdrop of a 29.6% decline in spend, said Cipfa. National spending on the service topped £1bn in 2009/10 but dropped to under £750m in the last year, which saw a 0.4% increase on the 2017/2018 spend."

Four years on from the following. Do you have any evidence that the government has started re-funding and reopening public libraries?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/dec/06/britain-has-closed-almost-800-libraries-since-2010-figures-show

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

That is one person who makes that claim .

You stated “Old people do not ride around on public transport just to keep warm ”.

It would only take one ‘example’ of an old person riding around on public transport to prove your categorical statement false.

I provided a news article that gave such an example.

Perhaps, and it’s just a suggestion, rather than trying to wriggle out of the trap you set for yourself you could learn a bit more about poverty in the UK or at the very least refrain posting obviously incorrect assumptions on your part.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:20 PM, thaibeachlovers said:
On 3/22/2024 at 11:49 AM, Doctor Tom said:

Lesson here, if you are poor, don't have a baby at 16 years old, get off your lazy ass,  get motivated, make some effort and dig yourself out of poverty. 

Ooh, you are going to woke hell for that. Truth is not allowed by the wokesters.

I'm pretty woke, but agree with every word Doctor Tom said.

PH

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 12:41 PM, herfiehandbag said:

At the risk of sounding trite, you should not believe everything that you hear on the news regarding Brexit! It was a hard contested political decision. "The establishment", including both major parties, and a large swage of the middle classes, (particularly those in occupations which let us say, were closely bound to the EU) were in favour of remaining. The majority of the  population, as the vote showed, wanted to leave.

It divided the country, and the country frankly remains divided. This division is reflected in media portrayal of the matter.

The majority of those who voted wanted to leave...there is a difference. 

And if the same question were asked again today, it is extremely likely, purely due to fewer older voters (more likely to vote for Brexit) and more younger voters  (more likely to vote to remain) being able to vote.  In pure economic terms, Brexit has cost the UK billions.

PH

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You stated “Old people do not ride around on public transport just to keep warm ”.

It would only take one ‘example’ of an old person riding around on public transport to prove your categorical statement false.

I provided a news article that gave such an example.

Perhaps, and it’s just a suggestion, rather than trying to wriggle out of the trap you set for yourself you could learn a bit more about poverty in the UK or at the very least refrain posting obviously incorrect assumptions on your part.

Old people live luxurious lives , they go to the Caribbean for the winter and spent the winter there 

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Old people live luxurious lives , they go to the Caribbean for the winter and spent the winter there 

More categorical statements.

Let me help you out.

Some old people live luxurious lives.

Some old people go to the Caribbean for winter.

Many do not:

https://www.ft.com/content/b475a0e8-6829-461f-af70-170268d23580

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If she's lucky.

"Almost 800 libraries have closed since the Conservative-Lib Dem government implemented austerity in 2010, new figures reveal.

The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy’s (Cipfa) annual survey of the UK’s libraries, excluding Northern Ireland, shows there are 3,583 library branches still open in the UK – 35 fewer than last year. Since 2010, 773 have closed.

The closure of almost a fifth of the UK’s libraries over the last 10 years comes against a backdrop of a 29.6% decline in spend, said Cipfa. National spending on the service topped £1bn in 2009/10 but dropped to under £750m in the last year, which saw a 0.4% increase on the 2017/2018 spend."

Four years on from the following. Do you have any evidence that the government has started re-funding and reopening public libraries?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/dec/06/britain-has-closed-almost-800-libraries-since-2010-figures-show

She has got a free buss pass , she can get a bus to the nearest  library

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More categorical statements.

Let me help you out.

Some old people live luxurious lives.

Some old people go to the Caribbean for winter.

Many do not:

https://www.ft.com/content/b475a0e8-6829-461f-af70-170268d23580

Yes, that was the point that I was making .

One person doing something doesn't mean everyone is doing it , 

For your one bus travelling on a bus to keep warm there is one person going to the Caribbean. 

But most people do neither 

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2024 at 8:14 AM, sirineou said:

The chickens are coming home to roost.

First the self inflicted wound of brexit. Then the support of the american proxy war in Ukraine .  

Self inflicted is right, but Brexit had nothing to do with it. It was the sanctions they enacted against Russia that affected them more than it did/does the Russians. 

16 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

70 million people in the UK , one persons dies of being cold .

That is using one extreme example to portray it as being the norm 

It has been reported even long before the Ukraine/Russian war that thousands of old people die from cold related illnesses in the UK every winter. That is because of low state pensions, the high cost of gas and electricity, having to choose between eating and heating their homes. This has happened no matter what government is in power. You have Labour, the "Party of the Working Class" but really not much different from the Tories. All just politicians out for themselves. This will never change.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Self inflicted is right, but Brexit had nothing to do with it. It was the sanctions they enacted against Russia that affected them more than it did/does the Russians. 

To say that Brexit has nothing to do with the poverty issue , simply makes no sense. Perhaps if you said "little to do" I might agree.

I don't think there is anyone in the world that argues Brexit helped the UK economically. Poverty is an economic issue.

The war in the Ukraine did not help , but the war in the Ukraine is not affecting the UK only it is affecting the whole of Europe . The whole of Europe is having its own issues,but not as bad as the UK , So what is the contributing factor that is making things more difficult in the UK? 

I would argue Brexit.

Edited by sirineou

Pensioners received a winter fuel allowance of £500 or £600 pounds, depending on certain criteria.

I've just checked our energy bills. Total amonut from 11th October to 11th March is £511.56. 

We were not cold, had hot water on demand, ate hot meals. We lived in comfort.

My parents, both late 70s, received the payment. They paid a shortfall of £13 pounds for the same period.

Seems strange others can't live within the same means.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Pensioners received a winter fuel allowance of £500 or £600 pounds, depending on certain criteria.

I've just checked our energy bills. Total amonut from 11th October to 11th March is £511.56. 

We were not cold, had hot water on demand, ate hot meals. We lived in comfort.

My parents, both late 70s, received the payment. They paid a shortfall of £13 pounds for the same period.

Seems strange others can't live within the same means.

How well insulated is your parent's home?

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

How well insulated is your parent's home?

It has double glazing. Not sure about anything else.

Our home has wood framed, single pane, victorian sash windows. No wall insulation. There is roof insulation.

Haven't there been many free insulation grant schemes over the last many years?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

To say that Brexit has nothing to do with the poverty issue , simply makes no sense. Perhaps if you said "little to do" I might agree.

I don't think there is anyone in the world that argues Brexit helped the UK economically. Poverty is an economic issue.

The war in the Ukraine did not help , but the war in the Ukraine is not affecting the UK only it is affecting the whole of Europe . The whole of Europe is having its own issues, but not as bad as the UK , So what is the contributing factor that is making things more difficult in the UK? 

I would argue Brexit.

If you look at what is really happening in the EU, UK and USA. They are all committing suicide. They all placed sanctions on Russia but they are cutting their own wrists!

The problems are mass uncontrolled immigration, Getting involved in Sanctions that do not work, and funding a war against Russia which the Ukraine could never win. And by sending arms to Ukraine have effectively disarmed ourselves. Our politicians are idiots who should never have been voted into Parliament! 

Brexit was a few years ago now. Judging by how bad things are in the EU. Their economy down the drain etc. Do you really think re-joining would help the UK. I wonder how much more funding we would have had to contribute to the failed EU. We are better on our own. The biggest joke is the west sanctioned Russian oil and gas. But the UK, EU and even the USa, buy it, but through India. Confiscating Russian assets in the west has made the rest of the world take notice. They are stopping to use the $. I think the economic power is shifting away from the west to Asia. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

It has been reported even long before the Ukraine/Russian war that thousands of old people die from cold related illnesses in the UK every winter. That is because of low state pensions, the high cost of gas and electricity, having to choose between eating and heating their homes. 

Its because Greta Thuberg and her mob that old people are dying of cold in the UK .

If they wouldn't keep trying to keep the World cold and it warmed up a bit , then old people wouldn't be dying of the cold

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

That goes without saying it.

In the summer they also drive around to keep cool. 

3 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

Brexit was a few years ago now. Judging by how bad things are in the EU.

Really? Things in every member state of the EU are much worse than in the UK? How so?

Their economy down the drain etc.

So the economies of all 27 EU member states are in crisis?

Do you really think re-joining would help the UK.

Yes. Although unfortunately I can't see it happening in the near future.

I wonder how much more funding we would have had to contribute to the failed EU.

The OBR (a UK government department) estimated that the UK GDP was 4%  (£32bn) less in 2021 than it would have been if we had remained in the EU. After rebates, the UK’s EU membership fee in 2018 was £13.2bn. Even allowing for inflation, enhancements, etc that's a sizeable net loss. Looks like it's the UK that's failed.

We are better on our own. 

Please show me what quantifiable benefits we have gained from Brexit.

(Note to Nauseus and TransAm: Don't blame me😉)

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

What the article doesn't explain is the figures are household income.

The first adult is given a value of 1.0, additional adults and over 14 children 0.5 and children 13 and under 0.3.

Household income is then divided by this figure to try and reflect both the economy of scale of running one family home vs several but also the increased income needs of that home vs a single adult household. Here is a comment from a parent recently surveyed. These are the comments not relayed in the scaremongery articles:

"Our equivalence value is 2.7 so our equivalence income, including both adults and child benefit, is (just) in relative poverty. We actually have a household income which is incredibly healthy for the cheapish area we live in -we are able to overpay the mortgage and have nice but fairly modest holidays. Our income of c. £55k is rightly way way way too high for any support like UC. We do still get CB though."

Levels of poverty clearly need to be redefined.

Nice edit!

52 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Nothing since you quoted my post.

But you and I both know.

‘a recently surveyed parent’

Ha!

At least you were aware of his laughable that was, hence your edit.

I do hope you don’t mind if henceforth I refer to you as the ‘recently surveyed parent’.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But you and I both know.

‘a recently surveyed parent’

Ha!

At least you were aware of his laughable that was, hence your edit.

I do hope you don’t mind if henceforth I refer to you as the ‘recently surveyed parent’.

As I've said, you really are losing your touch.

Like I said, I have made no edits since you previously quoted my post. You can see from my post timing, my post and edit occurred within a minute.

It's taken you a long time to create some make believe that I made the whole thing up.

It would be funny if not defaming and sad.

By the way, you might wish to edit errors in your grammar/spelling, just as I did.

Edited by youreavinalaff
Typo. OK Chomper. 55