'I Am Not Prepared For Life' – Millennials Blame Their Boomer Parents For Not Teaching Them

1 hour ago, John Drake said:
22 hours ago, impulse said:

We just didn't have influencers.

Billy Jack!

We had plenty of heroes.  But they weren't trying to sell anything.  Except movie tickets.  And definitely not on TikTok.  Or OnlyFans.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:57 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Surely then, prices must decrease if people can't sell theirs at a high price. I thought America was a market economy, or does that not apply to houses?

Unlike Thailand USA sells homes to many countries citizens so the market is not dependent on just them.

(then again US allows even folks on a green card to get a SS# & work.  Because the US is not stupid enough to ignore the possibility of taxing immigrants & citizens alike 😉 )

As a retired General Contractor I can tell you Prices on homes rarely decrease...They can go sideways for even quite awhile but as labor & materials continue to increase so does everything else. Of course prices do decrease in areas that have become ghettos but that is not for most

Key takeaways

• Gen Z dollars today have 86% less purchasing power than those from when baby boomers were in their twenties.
  • The cost of public and private school tuition has increased by 310% and 245%, respectively, since the 1970s.
  • Gen Zers and millennials are paying 57% more per gallon of gas than baby boomers did in their 20s.
  • Like 1

I grew up really fast when I arrived at Basic Training. My parents were rarely around and spent some years in foster care.  My parents did not teach me is not an excuse I can relate to.  

• Thanks 1

Opened a checking account at 13 while earning money delivering newspapers and mowing lawns. Lied about age to get weekend work in a fast food joint at 15. At 16 got a full-time job on the evening shift in a factory making polyethylene drainage tubing while still going to high school. Worked as a security guard midnight to 8 am shift while in college and sold books door to door in the summer. 

My kids haven't had to do what I had to do, and I'm glad that they haven't. They do understand money and are very responsible. I don't think hardship and having menial jobs are the only ways to instill good values and habits.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:23 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure we all will find things which our parents didn't tell us. And then we learned it somewhere else.

My parents forgot to tell me never trust a woman who has been in your bed.

Finding that out myself cost me a bloody fortune!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My parents forgot to tell me never trust a woman who has been in your bed.

Finding that out myself cost me a bloody fortune!

I think it is good that for most of my life I had (only) enough money for a reasonable standard of living, but not more.

Possible money diggers must have realized that early, and they didn't even start a relationship with me. Good.

Additionally, I never try to impress anybody with money. If I think they would like me more if I would spend more money (for them) then I know they are not what I want. That doesn't mean I am stingy; I like good things, and pay for them. I just don't like to get the impression that people would only like me if I spend money. 

The original article is very poor and at the end provides a link to a paid advert for financial advice, which I guess is the point. 

A following article probably hints at the real problem. And this boomer thing is getting annoying now.

Screenshot_20240328_133713_Opera.jpg

Edited by Baht Simpson