Walking Street discos / nightclubs, why are all the usual places completely dead?

bbi1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Low season? everything is quieter

I wouldn't say things are quieter at all. Still a sh&tload of people everywhere in Pattaya and also on Walking Street and at the beach. In fact, there are a sh&tload more people here than end of 2022. I'd say double the amount of people. Back in end of 2022 hotel prices were way cheaper too, and now they are 50% or more expensive at the same hotel.

Didn't matter in the past few years prior to Covid or end of 2022 prior to "high season" starting, but 2022 there weren't many people even coming here as they were still scared of Covid. It was so much busier than it is now. I'm thinking all the girls are going to the Indian clubs to target those punters and also the extended 4am closing times of bars and Agogos. Girls used to head to clubs at 2am once their bars and Agogos closed.

Edited by bbi1

9 minutes ago, mancub said:

Could be that most of the younger peeps are well stoned by 10pm and heading to McDonalds instead !

No they're not. Walking St McDonalds is completely empty except a few punters who eat there.

• Sad 1

Not sure what you're talking about. I went to a live music place there the other night and the street was crowded.

What's your problem, places not being packed solid? I don't think Pattaya is like that anymore, if it ever was. That's more like something you would see in a New York City or Bangkok club.

Edited by JimTripper

34 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Haven't been to any Walking Street discos / nightclubs in over a year and boy has things changed.  Anyone know why are all the usual places completely dead and with no girls around? Is it due to all the bars and other entertainment venues now being open to 4am or is it that all the girls are now going to one of the seven Indian clubs instead? Places like 808, Flexx, Lucifer are completely dead compared to end of 2022, when the cops were closing everything early at 1am or 2am. Those places used to pump hard. Well, not Lucifier but 808 and Flexx. Places like Insomnia is a lot more empty as well. Seems like everyone goes to Myst these days, and a decent amount of folks go to Republic. The Indian clubs are full, with Janaaat absolutely chocablock full of Indian dudes and chicks too. Same with the Indian club opposite (forgot it's name) and the new Indian club Leela further down Walking Street.

Had my 1st ever experience of racism when trying to enter Panda club lol. Guard said Korean & Chinese only. Never had a problem entering Panda way back. Even other asian dudes can't get in it seems, only Korean & Chinese. I've got no problems getting into any of the Indian clubs though, as a non-Indian.

I know that the majority of forum users are well on in their years and probably all on retirement visas and I'm going to get the usual stupid comments like they're usually in bed sleeping by 8pm or everything should close by midnight, but I'm hoping there are some "younger" members on here that are on this forum.

Last time I went to Lucifer [Jan and a week night] it was as you say dead [soulless maybe ;-)]  Must have been less than 100 people at 01:00 and it was absolutely freezing. The staff were all arms folded teeth chattering posture lol. You would have thought it would have been Hot as Hell in there but more like the Arctic 5555. Republic seems to stay busy though especially at the W/E and haven't been to Myst in years. Has the old Marine renovation finished? as haven't been to Walking Street recently. Last time I was there I heard it was going to reopen as yet another Indian club. Real shame for me personally as I'm into Techno and Trance EDM and that used to be the only hardcore club in Pattaya that played that genre. The Warehouse [Buakhao] used to play sort of EDM with house and occasionally had a Trance night but it shut down late last year. Not into Hip Hop or this generic electro pop stuff that seems to be popular or Bollywood vibes either lol.  If you know of a Techno venue in Pats would be interested to know. Another thing I have noticed regarding Pattaya night clubs is that they very very rarely have any visiting international DJ nights. Bangkok seems to have them all the time as I get email notifications from the likes of TicketMelon events agent website weekly.  

Edited by Conno
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Aviatorhi said:

I'm 37 - so make of that what you will...

Compared to "what it was" when I moved here 14 years ago - it's a combination of being more sterile, familiar, boring, and expensive. "Girl quality" has also taken a nosedive (regarding attitude, looks are subjective).

I can't speak for tourists whatsoever. It may be "I'm getting old", but the usual "spots" just don't appeal to me anymore, or to any of the guys I know within a few years of my age. 

I'm way older than 37 but love hardcore electronic dance music. Not sure if the love of the music has anything to do with age right? Have a long term partner too so not looking for any new horizontal action but do still enjoy looking. Are you ever too old to enjoy looking also? :biggrin:

Edited by Conno
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Conno said:

I'm way older than 37 but love hardcore electronic dance music. Not sure the love of the music has anything to do with age right? Have a long term partner too so not looking for any new horizontal action but do still enjoy looking. Are you also ever too old to enjoy looking also? :biggrin:

Didn't say I have a feeling one way or another about the music (since you brought it up - it's good in certain settings for me), but I find the looking to be better in other places - or I can just order delivery from my nearly endless list of line contacts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Not sure what you're talking about. I went to a live music place there the other night and the street was crowded.

What's your problem, places not being packed solid? I don't think Pattaya is like that anymore, if it ever was. That's more like something you would see in a New York City or Bangkok club.

I'm talking about the discos / nightclubs on Walking Street, not a live music place or the street. The street is always crowded with lots of people walking around but most not going to the nightclubs.

808 used to be packed every night, especially on Fridays & Saturdays. Flexx used to be full of people around 4am or 5am in the morning. Insomnia has a lot more people than it has now. Lucifer used to be half full but now it's just empty and sad. Other Indian clubs like Tonys had a lot more people than these days.

Edited by bbi1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Conno said:

Last time I went to Lucifer [Jan and a week night] it was as you say dead [soulless maybe ;-)]  Must have been less than 100 people at 01:00 and it was absolutely freezing.

Now you'd be lucky to see more than 30 people in Lucifer, it's deadly dead.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I'm talking about the discos / nightclubs on Walking Street, not a live music place or the street. The street is always crowded with lots of people walking around but most not going to the nightclubs.

808 used to be packed every night, especially on Fridays & Saturdays. Flexx used to be full of people around 4am or 5am in the morning. Insomnia has a lot more people than it has now. Lucifer used to be half full but now it's just empty and sad. Other Indian clubs like Tonys had a lot more people than these days.

I never liked those nightclub venues even when I was young. I want to see a live band when I go out.

I can see why they need to be crowded to enjoy them, however. They are mostly for people watching and being around other people.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Low season? everything is quieter

Surely not quite yet...... usually after Songkran. That said many UK snowbirds I know on the way home hoping for an early spring!

• Sad 2

Yeah, just spent 4 days in Pattaya and noticed it's dead everywhere.

I used to live here in the late 2000's and boy have things changed for the worse.

Girls just want ladies drinks - and hence 75% are fat now.

Walking Street died 10 years ago when they went upmarket.

Then LK Metro took over as the place to go.

Now I noticed LK Metro is dead as they went upmarket too with their high end GoGo's.

I can see why the clubs are pumping though and full with freelancer girls - the girls don't have drink quotas to give back to the bar, and and can have fun in the club until they see something they want to go home with.

Viva la club revolution..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, iaminwa said:

I can see why the clubs are pumping though and full with freelancer girls - the girls don't have drink quotas to give back to the bar, and and can have fun in the club until they see something they want to go home with.

And if a punter buys a freelancer girl a drink, is it still overpriced and she gets a commission?

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Definitely quieter about, just look at this forum, plus tried the other Pattaya forum, dead

7-11s always busy lol...l am always standing in line to check out....

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Has anyone seen the drink prices for the Indian Clubs?

330 baht for a Chang beer.....@#$^^@#

Add in loads of fat birds and awful music....And yet these places are packed...WHY?

image.png

It's paying to be around a large group of similar birds, not the beer. People will pay a premium to be around their own kind in a foreign country where they are feeling isolated after just arriving. Sometimes it goes to extremes and they don't want to let different people in at the door, etc.

Now, it can also be, to be seen and noticed. Everyone knows the drinks are expensive so they sit on a high perch, with a pricey drink and maybe even a mating companion. For that brief moment in time, they have bought an illusion of importance & relevancy.

See you at the club, man pigeon.

Edited by JimTripper

16 hours ago, Conno said:

I'm way older than 37 but love hardcore electronic dance music. Not sure if the love of the music has anything to do with age right? Have a long term partner too so not looking for any new horizontal action but do still enjoy looking. Are you ever too old to enjoy looking also? :biggrin:

I'm almost 20 years older than 37 and still love going to clubs and dancing all night to good house music.  I am not a fan of hip-hop though so anywhere that plays that I won't go.    

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The Good Ol’ Days in Pattaya are Gone! Permanently! It will never be the same! Multiple factors are involved such as :

Lack of easy money. Advent of online dating. In time , Pattaya will definitely change into more family friendly place with less Clubs and Bars . That’s why so many Clubs and Bars are For Sale! And it’s only a beginning! 

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Haven't been to any Walking Street discos / nightclubs in over a year and boy has things changed.  Anyone know why are all the usual places completely dead and with no girls around? Is it due to all the bars and other entertainment venues now being open to 4am or is it that all the girls are now going to one of the seven Indian clubs instead? Places like 808, Flexx, Lucifer are completely dead compared to end of 2022, when the cops were closing everything early at 1am or 2am. Those places used to pump hard. Well, not Lucifier but 808 and Flexx. Places like Insomnia is a lot more empty as well. Seems like everyone goes to Myst these days, and a decent amount of folks go to Republic. The Indian clubs are full, with Janaaat absolutely chocablock full of Indian dudes and chicks too. Same with the Indian club opposite (forgot it's name) and the new Indian club Leela further down Walking Street.

Had my 1st ever experience of racism when trying to enter Panda club lol. Guard said Korean & Chinese only. Never had a problem entering Panda way back. Even other asian dudes can't get in it seems, only Korean & Chinese. I've got no problems getting into any of the Indian clubs though, as a non-Indian.

I know that the majority of forum users are well on in their years and probably all on retirement visas and I'm going to get the usual stupid comments like they're usually in bed sleeping by 8pm or everything should close by midnight, but I'm hoping there are some "younger" members on here that are on this forum.

Could be as simple as the sort of people that inhabit those clubs are not going to Thailand to spend money on overpriced drinks in some club.

I can remember Walking Street before any "clubs" existed ( come to that, I can remember it before it became Walking Street and Soi 8 was the place to be ). Things change.

Pattaya ain't the cheap but enjoyable place it used to be in the 90s. By the time I was last there it was an expensive place to stay with bad traffic. I'll bet you won't find a decent hotel for 600 baht a night any more, and it's not like the exchange rate favours British tourists.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1