PrEP

3 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

I am not in the business of double guessing my doctors, am I?

You should absolutely be in the business of educating yourself about your own health.

Anyway, no interest in having an internet slap fight about it.  Do as you wish.

Edited by QuantumQuandry
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You should have known that already, they should have been monitoring your kidney function, Creatinine levels. Mine are fine so far

Absolutely, but the impact on one's organs is not limited to PrEP, indeed what I wrote was: "I suggest to explore with your doc what is the likely impact on your organs (kidneys, liver etc.) of any pharmaceuticals that you choose to use frequently."  It is more likely that people taking PrEP will have their kidney function monitored, but those taking other meds may not be effectively monitored, especially those who self-prescribe.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Two years before I did it with my current GF, and that was only after she produced a medical certificate.

Confirming she was female?

Hopefully certificate not from khao san road 😆

10 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You are the females you have sex with should all be kept away from the general population , as you all sound diseased and disease spreaders 

what are you doing on this thread? you don't have sex, just trolling, no chance of PrEP, so just go elsewhere, you're off topic, this is about PrEP from Queen Sirikit hospital

9 hours ago, Homburg said:

Absolutely, but the impact on one's organs is not limited to PrEP, indeed what I wrote was: "I suggest to explore with your doc what is the likely impact on your organs (kidneys, liver etc.) of any pharmaceuticals that you choose to use frequently."  It is more likely that people taking PrEP will have their kidney function monitored, but those taking other meds may not be effectively monitored, especially those who self-prescribe.

This thread is about PrEP from a specific hospital, not other meds and their side effects

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, Sandboxer said:

Are you in a high risk group? If not i.e. hetero having "normal" non-rough vag-willy sex, then there's really no need for PreP as transmission is extremely difficult.

If he is doing it with a very high risk group his risk goes way up.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 6:21 PM, Ben Zioner said:

Yes Indeed. But I got it confirmed by my doctor from Pulse. Prescribed and reimbursed by my insurance. 

Your medical insurance covers the medical costs that enables you to bang working girls without using a condom?  Amazing...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Your medical insurance covers the medical costs that enables you to bang working girls without using a condom?  Amazing...

No, it reimburses PREP, PEP, HIV testing, and treatment of any STD. Tell me, what ist the difference between Smallpox and Gonorrhea? Please don't answer as you are going to look like an idiot.

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

No, it reimburses PREP, PEP, HIV testing, and treatment of any STD. Tell me, what ist the difference between Smallpox and Gonorrhea? Please don't answer as you are going to look like an idiot.

I'm a Scientist 🙂.  So I can think of many clinical differences. For a start, smallpox is (was) a virus and gonorrhoea is caused by a bacteria.  Smallpox is eradicated in the world whilst gonorrhoea is 'rampant' and increasing in the number of cases (Cases of gonorhoea increased by about 50% in 2022 - latest stats).

Therefore, I'm still amazed that you are reimbursed for the conditions stated.  Enjoy it while it lasts because with the increasing STD stats your insurer might not be so generous in the future 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I'm a Scientist 🙂.  So I can think of many clinical differences. For a start, smallpox is (was) a virus and gonorrhoea is caused by a bacteria.  Smallpox is eradicated in the world whilst gonorrhoea is 'rampant' and increasing in the number of cases (Cases of gonorhoea increased by about 50% in 2022 - latest stats).

Therefore, I'm still amazed that you are reimbursed for the conditions stated.  Enjoy it while it lasts because with the increasing STD stats your insurer might not be so generous in the future 🙂

My insurance paid for Covid treatment and prevention even though the cases increased by <infinity>%. For a decent health plan a disease is a disease. Exclusions are for preexisting conditions or some new treatments. Why on earth are STDs categorised as different ? Some insurances do I know, but their concern isn't health care, only profit.

9 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

My insurance paid for Covid treatment and prevention even though the cases increased by <infinity>%. For a decent health plan a disease is a disease. Exclusions are for preexisting conditions or some new treatments. Why on earth are STDs categorised as different ? Some insurances do I know, but their concern isn't health care, only profit.

[quote]

For a decent health plan a disease is a disease

[/quote]

Yes, but there has to be some responsibility by the insuree.  It's like riding a motorcycle without a crash helmet and drunk.  No insurer would pay up in case of an accident because you have 'brought it upon yourself'.  If you engage in bare-back sex and are infected with HIV or another STD, surely the insurer would want to know the background details. "I knowingly engaged in bare-back sex with a whore" might not gain their sympathy to pay up 🙂

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Because ALL STD's are preventable , like insurance companies wont pay out if you leave your back door unlocked and someone enters through your back door and causes some damage 

Very interesting, but I would like advice from here... rather than google.

What is the difference between PEP and PrEP ?
Are these pills taken before or after sex ?
Do I need a doctor's prescription from a clinic / hospital ? 
Where are these available in Pattaya and are they expensive ?

Thanks, and forgive my ignorance as I've never heard of these medicines before (hetro, but an old,old man).

12 minutes ago, johnnybgood said:

Very interesting, but I would like advice from here... rather than google.

What is the difference between PEP and PrEP ?
Are these pills taken before or after sex ?
Do I need a doctor's prescription from a clinic / hospital ? 
Where are these available in Pattaya and are they expensive ?

Thanks, and forgive my ignorance as I've never heard of these medicines before (hetro, but an old,old man).

PEP is Post Exposure Prophylaxis,

PrEP is Pre Exposure Prophylaxis.

Either require you follow a specific protocol. 

(HIV) PrEP can be taken on demand and requires a double dose with 24h prior to exposure followed by one dose a day while active followed by two doses after the last exposure. 

Don't use without medical supervision anyway. If you have a good health cover you'll get a refund. "Commercial" kind of insurances might not as some pointed out. The Thai medical system makes them available to Thais. OP is quite happy with the Red Cross.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

By not having sex

I suppose so.

I don't suppose any STDs can be transmitted through casual contact, such as with a person's hands, for example.

Although  maybe @Sheryl would be a good person to ask for expert knowledge.

• Haha 1

This PrEP is new info for me.  I believe I read that there are 3-4 different types of PrEP.  As an 70 year old male,  who is not using drugs or needles,  which PrEP medicine would be the best one to take ?   

Can it be bought at any Pattaya pharmacy ?  Any idea concerning price ?  Thanks for any info.

27 minutes ago, how241 said:

This PrEP is new info for me.  I believe I read that there are 3-4 different types of PrEP.  As an 70 year old male,  who is not using drugs or needles,  which PrEP medicine would be the best one to take ?   

Can it be bought at any Pattaya pharmacy ?  Any idea concerning price ?  Thanks for any info.

At 70 why would you care, how long u planning on hanging around?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, simon43 said:

So you would lie to the insurance company?

Nope. Do you send them a letter every time you have sex, to tell them with whom, in what position and with what kind of protection. 

Get a life..

On 3/31/2024 at 1:38 PM, FruitPudding said:

I suppose so.

I don't suppose any STDs can be transmitted through casual contact, such as with a person's hands, for example.

Although  maybe @Sheryl would be a good person to ask for expert knowledge.

Indeed sexually transmitted diseases are spread sexually and not by casual contact

8 hours ago, sungod said:

At 70 why would you care, how long u planning on hanging around?

Maybe he isn't selfish like those old men who don't use condom or PrEP and bareback and don't care what they spread around. You get tested for HIV recently?