Colon cancer

Yes, street type food has literally no vegetables or fiber.  Deep fried, meat, fat, rice, hotdogs are not a balanced diet.  Of course, veggies would get stale really fast sitting in the hot sun.

I went to Subway recently and the lady working there said Thai people don't understand it, because of all the veggie choices.  

Eating cheap packaged Ramen noodles everyday seems to be a staple here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

A government statement today speaks of an increase in colon Cancer deaths caused by "changes in lifestyle".

What are these changes.? I would guess at junk food, burgers etc.

Bad seed oils      Sugar     Carbs ( Bread Rice Pasta etc etc )  Fiber as in useless veggies  and Smoking

MODERN Science ,,  Red meat, Saturated fats,, are the way to go   ..  follow your ancestral diet !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Bad seed oils      Sugar     Carbs ( Bread Rice Pasta etc etc )  Fiber as in useless veggies  and Smoking

MODERN Science ,,  Red meat, Saturated fats,, are the way to go   ..  follow your ancestral diet !

I thought rice and veg were part of the Thai ancestral diet.?

17 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

A government statement today speaks of an increase in colon Cancer deaths caused by "changes in lifestyle".

What are these changes.? I would guess at junk food, burgers etc.

Add no physical activities, over weight, processed food, alcohol, tobacco, fast food aso. 🙏

• Like 1

Lack of whole real foods nutrition & exercise to keep the immune system prime to fight cancers.   Everyone seems to take the easy route to food consumption, and failure to read the labels, what little info is actually provided.

The conglomerates have taken control of most aspects of life, along with giving out bad advice, then selling you pharmaceuticals that may or may not correct that bad advice.   Either way, they don't care, as making profits on all the misinformation they feed you from their controlled media.

Seems common sense has stopped and people just listen & comply to whatever they are told to do now.   Damn embarrassing actually ... :coffee1:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Add no physical activities, over weight, processed food, alcohol, tobacco, fast food aso. 🙏

So self-absorbed, fat, idle gits would seem to be the problem. No wonder my mate can't get anyone to fix his leaky roof.

• Haha 1

When I first started working in the Midlands in the late 60,s, colon cancer was common. Also in the North of England.

It was related to diet, in those two regions, they ate lots of Offals.

In the South of England they didn’t, or very little, a steak & kidney pie would be the most, one in a while.

Have’nt really followed up on that, but I believe the diet everywhere has changed. Burgers can have all sorts of Offals to make it tasty!

But in Thailand where colon cancer is common in the North, I am told by a Consultant Medical Doctor that it is due to eating lots of fish sauce ( non-pasteurised)! Using it with papaya salad is a craze!

Again, I haven’t seen any stats.

While on the subject of healthy eating, does anyone know if the Bio Duo Probiotic yoghurt is genuinely probiotic.?

Come to that does yoghurt in Thailand have similar ingredients to what farangs are used to. Come even further how close are any.of them to the original yoghurt.

Posted (edited)

I don't remember much offal being eaten in the North in the late sixties. Possibly in smaller rural communities or In certain areas. But if that's what the man said, who am I to argue.

Just to add that obviously the condition being treated in the late sixties would be the result of eating habits from several decades.

Edited by saintdomingo
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

While on the subject of healthy eating, does anyone know if the Bio Duo Probiotic yoghurt is genuinely probiotic.?

Come to that does yoghurt in Thailand have similar ingredients to what farangs are used to. Come even further how close are any.of them to the original yoghurt.

We make our own Kefir, and way better than yogurt.  Drinkable or after a few hours in the frig, sets up, same as yogurt, and I actually use it in place of ice cream at the house, adding corn flakes & blueberries to it.   I nice healthy desert vs ice cream.

Kefer vs yogurt ... 

image.png.6eeaab4a892a8c70b900ca16534250f9.png

• Like 1

When you get fµcked by the system from the moment you're born till you die, colorectal cancer becomes a real thing for many. Those who can't take it like troopers you know...

So yeah, it's a lifestyle thing. Gamlang lifestyle I'd say.

Edited by MrPancake

7 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

I thought rice and veg were part of the Thai ancestral diet.?

He /she is probably referring to prehistoric humans. We call them hunter gatherers. They did not practice agriculture, but, by analogy to recent primitive populations, subsisted on plant products such as fruits in addition to hunting. It's possible that they consumed wild greens, but only a few really old stomach contents have been discovered so far. Various cooking methods predate the appearance of pottery.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

True for many, but I thought traditionally there was not too much fibre in the Thai diet. 

Asian people in general would always be small compared with the West because they ate a low-protein diet. They lived on carbs (rice and noodles), vegetables, fruit and little meat because meat was expensive. As their diet now includes more protein they, in general, have grown taller. When I first came here 20 years ago I was the average height at 5'6" but now I'm back to being small again - even school kids tower over me. There is also an epidemic of obesity which was not prevalent 20 years ago and we can thank the great American diet for that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2024 at 4:51 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yes, street type food has literally no vegetables or fiber.  Deep fried, meat, fat, rice, hotdogs are not a balanced diet.  Of course, veggies would get stale really fast sitting in the hot sun.

I went to Subway recently and the lady working there said Thai people don't understand it, because of all the veggie choices.  

Eating cheap packaged Ramen noodles everyday seems to be a staple here.

A lot of it is just rice. A plate of rice or bowl of noodles with a small side of protein of your choice with minimal vegetables or basil added. The non-rice part seems to be getting smaller and the rice part larger. Maybe a cost saving measure. No wonder people eat so many times a day, it's just quick carb energy.

Edited by JimTripper