I've lost my desire to listen to music.

giddyup

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

He wasn't female

Neither was Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin etc, they were the music idols of my fathers generation.

Edited by giddyup

I've exhausted all the greats through repetition, so I sometimes turn to stuff that just recalls aspects of an era, like Northern Soul or a few 80s disco tunes.

But I most often listen to smooth jazz in the background. Not always good, as the stations may succumb to funk influence or smooth jazz remakes of old popular tunes, hence not creative or abstract enough. Discovered some great artists that way.

On 5/13/2024 at 3:21 AM, save the frogs said:

Not me. I started learning how to play an instrument (wish I had done it when I was young).

I hope to learn multi instruments before I die (but maybe I'm being overly optimistic).

And I like singing. I may even take voice lessons.

I try to find singers that I can mimic (tone not too high-pitched). 

I knew a guy in high school who was imitating Robert Plant. Good luck with that. That's hard to emulate. 

And people who attempt that usually end up screeching.

I do a half-ass Richard Hawley. 

I ain't gonna sell tickets any time soon. But it's fun.

I like lyrics. It's basically playing with words.

the wind blows forward and the wind blows back

catch the first train smokin' and never look back

Nice lyrics but pedestrian, generic melody I needn't hear ever again.

I rarely like any music offered up here.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Neither was Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin etc, they were the music idols of my fathers generation.

Yeah but they weren't in the same class as Elvis. He was a little bit before my time so it took me a while to truly appreciate him. But he wasn't just a great singer, he was the first overtly sexual singer. A force of nature.  Even 20 years later, women were still throwing their panties up on stage. That didn't happen with Tony Bennet or even Old Blue Eyes.

The Beatles were similar. They had an almost inexplicable libidinal energy when they first started. I read somewhere that the seats would be sopping wet after they gave a concert.

Taylor Swift is totally different, bland, carefully curated, a triumph of marketing. Her main democraphic is millenials, almost evenly split between men and women. I don't think anybody has an orgasm while watching Taylor Swift.

1 minute ago, jaywalker2 said:

Yeah but they weren't in the same class as Elvis. He was a little bit before my time so it took me a while to truly appreciate him. But he wasn't just a great singer, he was the first overtly sexual singer. A force of nature.  Even 20 years later, women were still throwing their panties up on stage. That didn't happen with Tony Bennet or even Old Blue Eyes.

The Beatles were similar. They had an almost inexplicable libidinal energy when they first started. I read somewhere that the seats would be sopping wet after they gave a concert.

Taylor Swift is totally different, bland, carefully curated, a triumph of marketing. Her main democraphic is millenials, almost evenly split between men and women. I don't think anybody has an orgasm while watching Taylor Swift.

I think you underestimate the popularity of singers like Frank Sinatra, he was a big  "heart throb" in his day and drew huge crowds. I think the female audience at that time would never have done anything as crass as throwing their panties on stage, but he was a definite sex symbol of his time.

On 3/27/2024 at 6:10 AM, giddyup said:

Always been a music lover, had a big collection of both CD's and vinyl before I left Australia 14 years ago. Until recently used to listen to free music on apps like Radio Paradise, Jango and Accu radio, but now, at nearly 82 I find I prefer peace and quiet. Nothing wrong with my hearing, it's just that music doesn't move me like it used to. Sad.

Is it a physical change you think, or mood? 

Done a hormone check? Hormones have a great influence on your mood, so maybe worth a try. Hormon patces or gel can do a change in life quality

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I don't think anybody has an orgasm while watching Taylor Swift.

Guarantee there's plenty of teenage boys jerking off to her videos though, maybe girls as well.

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Is it a physical change you think, or mood? 

Done a hormone check? Hormones have a great influence on your mood, so maybe worth a try. Hormon patces or gel can do a change in life quality

No, I just think that music doesn't move me in the same way it used to, and I just value peace and quiet more.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No, I just think that music doesn't move me in the same way it used to, and I just value peace and quiet more.

Im much younger than you, and my music as well desire for watching movies is not the same as before, but I realized it is more connected to my mood. Still enjoy peace and quiet alot more these days, especially after living in Thailand more or less the last 8 years. 

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Me too. It is called growing up. Birds chirpy is better.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Me too. It is called growing up. Birds chirpy is better.

Funny you mention that, I just saw a video on Youtube called The Three Tenors, and it was three Magpies on a fence all warbling together, beautiful.

Edited by giddyup
  • Haha 1

I've never stopped listening to, or liking music. It's always been important to me and I hope this continues.

Gotten a lot more eclectic in my old age, and just listen to stuff that matches (or enhances) my mood of the hour.

I've had a few times where it became obvious that low audio quality put me off listening.  I don't know if it was a low sampling rate, signal compression, or what.  I don't claim to understand the intricacies.

But the same songs sounded great on another device. (Remember when you got your first FM stereo car radio, how bad AM sounded?)

Edit:  Lots of YouTubes on why modern music sucks.  Mostly because it's all written by the same few guys.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 1

On 7/12/2024 at 2:46 PM, earlinclaifornia said:

Additionaly my Apple Music is opening up new music so much so for a mere 138B

I sometimes tend to forget that I have access to hundreds of thousands of albums via my music subscription services. Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz.  So, once in a while I’ll explore music I’ve never heard before.  That can be fun.  

• Agree 1