Barred from Europe: 2.4m Brits caught in post-Brexit passport chaos

Social Media

1 hour ago, Black arab said:

Have you ever looked at the exchange rate 

I've been looking at the exchange rate since I first came her just short of 30 years ago ,  It was around 40 baht to the pound in those days, A couple of years later , I think around 1997/98 I was quite surprised when I got off the plane at don muang and went to change some money as it was around 90 baht to the pound, Nothing to do with brexit then was it ?  As I have said before there are numerous factors which affect exchange rates its not all about brexit

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Whether the pound was over valued at the time of the referendum is debatable but, as JayClay points out, an overnight fall in the value of sterling of 20% is not a correction, it is a collapse. This was solely attributable to the decision to leave the EU.

How long ago was that now ?

Nearly 8 years ago 

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How long ago was that now ?

Nearly 8 years ago 

Why does the date matter?

An overnight fall of 10% in the £/$ exchange rate and 7% against the Euro on 23/6/16 is still a collapse, not a managed correction.

• Agree 1

Just now, RayC said:

Why does the date matter?

An overnight fall of 10% in the £/$ exchange rate and 7% against the Euro on 23/6/16 is still a collapse, not a managed correction.

I would have thought that you have gotton bored with talking about it by now .

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

I'm bored with continually correcting those who refuse to accept the overwhelming body of evidence which shows that Brexit has had a negative economic effect.

Seems to be just you and Jayclay going on about the exchange rate 8 years ago and no one is saying that there wasn't a drop in the Pound 8 years ago .

You are not correcting anyone , because no one is saying that there wasn't a drop 8 years ago 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Seems to be just you and Jayclay going on about the exchange rate 8 years ago and no one is saying that there wasn't a drop in the Pound 8 years ago .

You are not correcting anyone , because no one is saying that there wasn't a drop 8 years ago 

I said that I was correcting those who refuse to accept that Brexit has had a negative economic effect despite the ever increasing amount of evidence which suggests that it has.

Maybe you should pay a bit more attention to what's actually written.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, RayC said:

I said that I was correcting those who refuse to accept that Brexit has had a negative economic effect despite the ever increasing amount of evidence which suggests that it has.

Maybe you should pay a bit more attention to what's actually written.

You were commenting on what happened on the day of Brexit vote and the exchange rate , you weren't commenting on the effects of Brexit after that date 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, bradiston said:

You wouldn't happen to have a list of benefits of leaving would you? I mean in real terms, not ideological terms. Taking back control? Bwahahahahaha.

No I don't,  why would I ,    I don't have a list of drawbacks either, again why would I     What sort of person sits at home compiling pointless lists?  No need to answer that by the way  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Like there’s never going to be another vote on the matter?

Well  unlike you I don't have the ability to see into the future,  But out of interest did your sixth sense accurately predict the results of the last referendum?   

21 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Checked my wifes passport (I've got the new "blue" [actually more black] one) - issued march 2015, expires June 2025. So - need to get a new one before March next year but otherswise she's safe to return to Europe.

(I've got the new "blue" [actually more black] one

I had expected this colour when I renewed mine in 2018, but I got a red one...  Valid to May 2029 with the added months because I renewed early

I read somewhere Red UK Passport will not be accepted in some places/Countries ??  I still have over 4 years to run on mine Confused  ??

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

No I don't,  why would I ,    I don't have a list of drawbacks either, again why would I     What sort of person sits at home compiling pointless lists?  No need to answer that by the way  

Title of thread "Barred from Europe: 2.4m Brits caught in post-Brexit passport chaos". Note the reference to post-Brexit. You've posted 12 times. Just get over it! Time to move on!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Title of thread "Barred from Europe: 2.4m Brits caught in post-Brexit passport chaos". Note the reference to post-Brexit. You've posted 12 times. Just get over it! Time to move on!

well at least you are correct about the title of the thread well done!   Unfortunately you got the number of my posts wrong so probably best to freshen up on the counting.  Not really sure what the point of your reply was supposed to be, but i suggest you take your own advice

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

He already did, he has a blue passport.

Don't really care what colour my passport is , but on reflection its nice to be identified as different from the rest of the eurotrash

When will the remaining members of the EU stop using the english language?  should you all not consider communicating in German,? after all if it wasn't for the british you probably would be by now

Edited by Bday Prang
question marks added
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 2:01 PM, candide said:

The current rate may increase or decrease....

A retrospective look confirms the GPB rate has been lower than the pre-referendum rate for most of the last seven years.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=10Y

Screenshot_20240329_135400_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pointless throwing the Baht into this. It's had its own ups and downs.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/29/2024 at 2:22 PM, DaLa said:

Here's a thought on the subject seeing as we are picking dates to suit the rhetoric on the effect of 1 event.

In December 1971 the £ was trading at $2.43. We joined the EU in January 1972 and from then until the UK left the organisation the £ sterling really did plummet , halved in value to £1.27.

What does that say regarding  the membership of the EU?  Apply the same logic please.

EEC Jan 73!!!!!

22 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You were commenting on what happened on the day of Brexit vote and the exchange rate , you weren't commenting on the effects of Brexit after that date 

I replied to your contention that the drop in the value of the pound was good for the UK. I also replied to another poster who attributed Germany's current economic woes to Brexit.

• Agree 1