Foreigners and their overseas income: what next?

webfact

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

I was almost going to click onto the video,  thinking, oh, another video,  this time with the Swedish ambassador...

Never mind, you are from Australia,  you are excused. 

(Most Europeans I know think that New Zealand is near Australia, whereas the distance between Australia and New Zealand is much bigger than the distance between Switzerland and Sweden)

You couldn't make it up if you tried. 🙂

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2024 at 12:56 AM, Lorry said:

I was almost going to click onto the video,  thinking, oh, another video,  this time with the Swedish ambassador...

Never mind, you are from Australia,  you are excused. 

(Most Europeans I know think that New Zealand is near Australia, whereas the distance between Australia and New Zealand is much bigger than the distance between Switzerland and Sweden)

Click it and listen - you might learn something - for a change.  

On 4/4/2024 at 12:14 PM, AhFarangJa said:

Something I do not see written about, yet to my mind is a serious issue, and that is the retired people on annual extensions to stay using the monthly income method. Surely, with a sum of about 65,000 per month coming in regularly to meet visa requirements, the taxman will want to get his grubby paws on some of it.   

well onthis note, the immigration officers want to see the bankbook that shows 65000 remitted but is the taxable percentage taken off before the immigration sees the 65000 or what...Not sure how all that will work out.  How about the cost of visas - is the tax added on as the money comes in for that purpose or are the visas all going up in price (i.e. 800K - tax so have to add the taxed amount too for the cost of the visa?  Just wondering as that is what I used to do for my yearly extension.  If I had to bring in 50K for an LTR would I first have to pay tax on it and then 50K for the visa?  just wondering and hope that the RD folks would put out some official word so we know how to start complaining officially and to where.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:40 AM, nitayagirl said:

The proverb is โลภมาก ลาภหาย.

Funny, that is an Aesop's children's fable (133) saying the exact same thing and based on translations of Latin similar story with many other civilizations having basically the same moral meaning of an animal having some type of food in its mouth, sees a reflection water or in some stories a fish in the water, drops his food to grab the fish, loses it as meanwhile a buzzard flew down and stole the food he was carrying.  Lots of different stories...  take your pick.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/10/2024 at 7:49 AM, Mike Lister said:

A fella's got to be fair and reasonable about this. It's not a half baked mess and it's not a so called tax! It's a single adjustment to one of the tax rules, that's all. The half baked mess part is the panic and scurrying that many foreigners have created that results from their very recent awareness that they too have to pay tax in Thailand and have been required to do so all along. That coin is now dropping!

just remember, one of the reasons they are changing how they interpret their law is to weed out those that have not been paying taxes elsewhere nor here - this is part of the international OECD CRS, etc from some governments feeling they have been shortchanged especially pushed by the US which taxes their citizens no matter where they are.  Ben Franklin made the comment after they did the declaration of Independence ---only constant forever - death and taxes

• Love It 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jesimps said:

This morning (12 June), with my Thai wife in tow who speaks fluent English, I visited the tax office in Jomtien to obtain a TIN. When I presented the lady with my passport, she told me that because I paid tax in my home country (UK) she could not issue me with a TIN. My wife outlined all that had been written in the news the last few months about long-stay expats bringing money into the country needing to be assessed, but she was adamant. No TIN! Up to them. I'll just keep an eye on Asean Now to see if anything comes of this. One thing seems certain, if we do all need to be assessed for tax here, then it hasn't come to the notice of the Jomtien Tax Office yet.

I got mine a couple of years ago from the Office in Naklua (tried 1st at Jomtien & was told I had to go there as I live in Wongamat), they did look at me confused at 1st but I told them that I needed one for my UK Bank, to re-claim withheld interest & was planning on buying a condo so would need one to pay property tax and they relented. 

Wish I hadn't have bothered as I never did give it to my UK Bank, despite giving them every thing they asked for still not received the refund & have put of buying a Condo until the Tax position is clearer.   

11 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Only 3.3 Million people pay income tax in Thailand out of 70 million people. So almost all Thai's don't pay income tax.

Only the workforce is measured for tax purposes, that's 38 million people, it's the same in most countries.

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Only the workforce is measured for tax purposes, that's 38 million people, it's the same in most countries.

Ok, so it's still less then 10%, happy now?

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking to a Thai tax consultant recently on the new 'rules'.  He made a good point that this is just a rule and not the law.  There have been no changes to the law which is how we always understood things to be (i.e. no remittance in year the income is earned and you're good).  You could simply not follow the 'rule' and instead follow the law and it would be a perfectly legitimate action; he thinks if it ever went to court (yes I know!) you'd win.  Big disclaimer: his view not mine but thought interesting nonetheless to share to the forum.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dan SG said:

I was talking to a Thai tax consultant recently on the new 'rules'.  He made a good point that this is just a rule and not the law.  There have been no changes to the law which is how we always understood things to be (i.e. no remittance in year the income is earned and you're good).  You could simply not follow the 'rule' and instead follow the law and it would be a perfectly legitimate action; he thinks if it ever went to court (yes I know!) you'd win.  Big disclaimer: his view not mine but thought interesting nonetheless to share to the forum.

My recommendation is to find a new tax consultant! The TRD will not have reinterpreted the remittance rule, without due diligence and intense scrutiny by the legal profession, otherwise, why has it not already been challenged in the courts, as others said it would be when it was first announced! The second aspect of this is the idea that a foreigner might challenge the TRD ruling and win, is the stuff of pipedreams.

14 hours ago, Yumthai said:

Rule would need to be enforced first in order to be then challenged.

Yes

22 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

My recommendation is to find a new tax consultant! The TRD will not have reinterpreted the remittance rule, without due diligence and intense scrutiny by the legal profession, otherwise, why has it not already been challenged in the courts, as others said it would be when it was first announced! The second aspect of this is the idea that a foreigner might challenge the TRD ruling and win, is the stuff of pipedreams.

Agree it's going to take balls to start brining a case against the tax authority, but i doubt they have really taken counsel whether the law is in their favour.  I think you're probably giving them too much credit and they're trying to wing it.  See below.  Baker McKenzie (one of the largest law firms) agree that in order to really effect this change they need to change the law which isn't easy

https://insightplus.bakermckenzie.com/bm/tax/thailand-offshore-sourced-income-brought-into-thailand-from-1-january-2024-onward-will-be-subject-to-thai-personal-income-tax

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dan SG said:

Yes

Agree it's going to take balls to start brining a case against the tax authority, but i doubt they have really taken counsel whether the law is in their favour.  I think you're probably giving them too much credit and they're trying to wing it.  See below.  Baker McKenzie (one of the largest law firms) agree that in order to really effect this change they need to change the law which isn't easy

https://insightplus.bakermckenzie.com/bm/tax/thailand-offshore-sourced-income-brought-into-thailand-from-1-january-2024-onward-will-be-subject-to-thai-personal-income-tax

In bold above....that's not really the issue, albeit I think it would be naive to think the TRD did not take legal guidance before announcing this reinterpretation of the rules, this is not ammateur hour, it's the tax revenue department of a government.

The key issue is whether or not the reinterpretation will achieve their objective and that answer is likely to be no, which is why they appear to want to pursue worldwide taxation. Leaving assets outside Thailand semi-permanently will negate the effect of the new rule interpretation.