Hua Hin faces water rationing amidst severe drought

image.jpeg

The Waterworks Department of Hua Hin Municipality has announced that water supply will be rationed effective immediately, a measure that highlights the severity of the ongoing water shortage affecting the area.

Residents will have access to public water only between the hours of 5:00 AM and 10:30 AM until further notice, following days of disrupted service across the city.

In an official statement released on Saturday, April 6, the Waterworks Department explained the drastic measure: “Due to the current crisis situation, the quantity of raw water is insufficient for the Waterworks Department, Hua Hin Municipality.

Therefore, we announce the water distribution schedule as follows: Water will be distributed from 05:00 AM to 10:30 AM. The Waterworks Department, Hua Hin Municipality, apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. For further inquiries, please contact 0-3251-1667.”

By Online Reporter

TOP: File photo

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-04-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

I came by the reservoir just the other day and it looked down a lot.

Hopefully some rain later this week but it needs a real down poor.

This is where an underground gravity fed tank becomes quite useful - it will drip fill over hours. Our tank is full (and underground).

Next door who has one of those large round above ground tanks has been empty all week as the pressure is not high enough to reach the top of their tank, so they're leeching off us for now.

Plenty of 'water delivery tankers' driving around the streets today - I wonder where they get their supplies from?

My wife says that this will soon be the case in Phuket and Pattaya. Lucky we live in the sticks with our own borehole village water occasionally fails or drops in pressure so we just switch the pump on. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

When they say "access to public water" - does this mean they actually cut off residential water supply after 10:30 am daily?  As in, no showers except between 5:00 am and 10:30 am?

The article mentions something about water trucks delivery so I'm uncertain if "water distribution" refers to truck delivery, residential taps, or both. 

1 minute ago, TheAppletons said:

The article mentions something about water trucks delivery so I'm uncertain if "water distribution" refers to truck delivery, residential taps, or both. 

I think that's self explanatory... if it come in a truck it's a delivery to areas to fill water vessels, not a hook-up to your tap

16 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

As in, no showers except between 5:00 am and 10:30 am?

It is not about when you can take a shower, it is about when water will be coming out of the municipal supply pipes.  If you do not have personal water storage you should get a tank.

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I think that's self explanatory... if it come in a truck it's a delivery to areas to fill water vessels, not a hook-up to your tap

Except it also says this "Residents will have access to public water only between the hours of 5:00 AM and 10:30 AM until further notice, following days of disrupted service across the city."

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

It is not about when you can take a shower, it is about when water will be coming out of the municipal supply pipes.  If you do not have personal water storage you should get a tank.

I don't live here....staying in a condo temporarily this month while Chiang Mai is on fire. 

8 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Except it also says this "Residents will have access to public water only between the hours of 5:00 AM and 10:30 AM until further notice, following days of disrupted service across the city."

Yes, that is the normal mains water service to each property, not via a delivery truck when the mains service is turned off

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes, that is the normal mains water service to each property, not via a delivery truck when the mains service is turned off

Which is why I originally asked if "water distribution" referred to water trucks delivery, residential taps, or both.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is where an underground gravity fed tank becomes quite useful - it will drip fill over hours. Our tank is full (and underground).

Next door who has one of those large round above ground tanks has been empty all week as the pressure is not high enough to reach the top of their tank, so they're leeching off us for now.

Plenty of 'water delivery tankers' driving around the streets today - I wonder where they get their supplies from?

Underground water is usually super dirty too. Never had issue even with super low pressure to fill any of my tanks, that will be some plumbing fk up then.

Aside from the fact one can put a pump on it too. We only use underground for absolute emergencies and with 2 filters.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

I don't live here....staying in a condo temporarily this month while Chiang Mai is on fire. 

So just get a couple of large plastic trash containers and put them in your bathroom and kitchen.  A few hundred baht.

Also check with your condo and see how much storage water they have, most have some large tanks.

44 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Obviously it is about when you can take a shower, else such measures would not be installed in the first place. If everyone had a tank it would be pointless.

12 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Obviously it is about when you can take a shower, else such measures would not be installed in the first place. If everyone had a tank it would be pointless.

No the article is about the distribution of water not the use of water.  Read it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dante99 said:

No the article is about the distribution of water not the use of water.  Read it.

Yeah DUHHHH.. seriously? Stating the obvious. The point is that MANY people do NOT have water tanks, hence they limit it to RUN. What would the point otherwise be to close off the water distribution in the first place. Good morning, maybe time for a coffee?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

But  Songkran must go on... Let's waste millions litres of water all ove rthe country, and in the meantime we face rationing the normal use of it...

So be it. It'll be a cold day in hell before I don't get my annual filthy bucket of water dumped on my head.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Some folk will be having nasty smelling crappers by 5 am

10.30 no water no flush and nooooo bum gun  :post-4641-1156693976:

Just some idiot farangs.  Thais sorted this long ago.

• Agree 1

Hour south of HH, and why we make sure our storage tanks (8) are always topped up before the yearly 'drought time' / water shortage warnings ... JIC  Everyone should have at least 1 tank.

Along with a very basic solar back up, if only 3kwh  system w/small battery.  Or an EV you can plug your frig and a fan into.  Simple, inexpensive preps for living in 3rd world country.

image.png.374ae10fe250b09ec3cb84517d3a20ed.png

Edited by KhunLA

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

But  Songkran must go on... Let's waste millions litres of water all ove rthe country, and in the meantime we face rationing the normal use of it...

Exactly, and this stupid government has extended it so they have started throwing water today near us. and the Wife says it can go on until the 20 or 21st.......absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1