Speaking Thai - is it necessary these days for an expat ?

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Can I - Yes.

Do I - Rarely.

And why is that ? prefer not to engage Thais, dont really have a need ?, can you expand a bit please ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cobra said:

And why is that ? prefer not to engage Thais, dont really have a need ?, can you expand a bit please ?

Majority of Thai's I see daily speak English.

Ok yes out on the production floor at work they do not speak English but very few of them are Thai anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cobra said:

I've encountered my fair share of these perpetual English speakers during my time here

How long have you been here?

How's YOUR Thai?

It may not be essential but it is a courtesy which is appreciated by the Thai people and cannot see any reason why you wouldn't want to speak passable Thai if you live in the country. For a tourist not the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

My youngest got top marks at school with the only admonishment being for his English-speaking skills. His teacher spoke to Mrs NL and suggested that since dad is a native English speaker, he should speak more English with his son. Mrs NL set her right and said the lingua franca at home is Lao and that includes dad. If I do ask him a question in English, he answers in Lao. When he rarely asks me a question or tries to converse in English, I will answer in Lao as he will both will understand that quicker.

Yeah, it's that darned farang's fault again!

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That's exactly what I was thinking Mike. 

Does he really want to know why so many of us don't speak the language? Or is he really taking this opportunity to  "Hey look at me" "why cant you all be as good as me"

IMO a thinly veiled sign of insecurity.

Ohhhhhh noooooo.... you mean it's (just another anonymous internet forum) cock wave?

Say it isn't so.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Agree 2

Depends largely on where you live (BKK/Pattaya/Phuket vs just about everywhere else), your personal circumstances (partner with or without English, children, wider family ... ), and your personal inclinations.

I have several European languages and a strong inclination for learning thru reading. But my early efforts at Thai were miserable, not helped by a b/f who has no education and no ability or wish to help. If we were still in BKK I would (now) enroll in Thai language classes, but here in south Surin where people swap back & forth between heavily-accented Thai & northern Khmer it's a bit hopeless for me so I have resigned myself to being the 'rich' but silent 'learned man' (I wear glasses - a sure sign).

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They are always talking about us.  And, I do not really want to know what they are saying. 

Big mistake IMO. Best to understand, intervene and rectify all erroneous assumptions being made.

• Like 1