Thailand's currency becomes one of Asia’s worst performers

webfact

Octobers low of 37.23 was when the USD DI was at 106.65 on 8 October.

Today we're at 36.69 and the USD DI is at 104.38.

That tells me that most of the weakness results from an overly strong USD which is in line with other EM currencies.

But if the MPC cuts rates, for sure, THB down further and the cause wont be USD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Don't agree the Central Bank is incompetent at all, Sethaput is very good and very capable.

He might be, but many times his hands are tied. Also, the numbers are telling a grim story. However, it´s not easy to work against a negative trend. However, Thailand might look at it as positive, as it is and will be for international affairs and tourism.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I would guess a lot to do with foreign currency inflow with concerns about tax liabilities on such remittances?

Capital inflows will almost certainly come via the BOI and remain untaxed, somebody buying a condo is not what I would describe as meaningful FDI.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the two BoT members voted in favour of a rate cut at their previous meeting in February.

5 to 2 vote to maintain 2.5%.

Unlikely in the near term to get a minimum 4 to 3 vote to cut further. Personally, a reversal of 5 to 2 or 6 to 1 vote to cut rate would carry more public confidence than a bare majority.

• Agree 1

Just now, zhounan said:

Actually a cheap Baht is the reason of increase in tourists, investments and exports.

I don't agree the cheap Baht increases exports significantly. Studies have shown that it is the buying country currency that must be stronger, not the selling country currency weaker, before exports improve.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

If on top of all those things, this 10k giveaway ever materialises, it's a recipe for disaster because it will spawn inflation is an already depressed and weakened Baht environment.

Thai's alreadys collected that 10K , even some very wealthy ones I spoke with took it.

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

So, when I came to live here in 2015 it was 55 baht to the £, the fact it is now only 46 and a bit, hardly means its worst performing its still 20% higher than it was ! Its maybe just a well needed correction 

When I came to live here in 2009 I was getting 50bht to the pound, I've lost 8% over 15 years on currency exchange, but my pension has doubled.

12 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Octobers low of 37.23 was when the USD DI was at 106.65 on 8 October.

Today we're at 36.69 and the USD DI is at 104.38.

That tells me that most of the weakness results from an overly strong USD which is in line with other EM currencies.

But if the MPC cuts rates, for sure, THB down further and the cause wont be USD.

36.69 ??? where? as XE is at

1.00 US Dollar = 36.382876 Thai Baht

10 hours ago, retarius said:

It has been nice receiving SS recently in Thai Baht. I hope the US$ goes to 40 baht or 50.

yeah, just imagine if all that extra is taxed when they start implementing that new tax law. Even if your money come in SS. They can tax you and make you prove the source and that it is untaxable

On 4/10/2024 at 4:51 AM, webfact said:

The currency has already dropped almost 7% since the start of January, making it one of Asia’s worst performers,

Hardly surprising when you look at the political stage in Thailand.

Rigged elections and so-called politicians who don't have a clue what they're doing.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1