Thailand ranks 44th in global crime index

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Major contributors to Thailand's high crime index include human trafficking, arms trade, and intellectual property violations.

At least something hasn't changed here in Thailand :crazy:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of many videos which I saw from America, the land of the free.

For some crimes (I guess in some states) the police don't even try to find and arrest the criminals.

For other crimes, the police catch them and then the judges release the criminals on the same day. The same again the next day, and the next...

It seems in Thailand the police at least try to catch the bad guys - except of course those rich influential people.

Yes lucky you added the last sentence, the privileged keep stealing while the underprivileged keep paying!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Global Organized Crime Index

I don't think the index actually measures general criminality, but as it says in the title, organized crime, such as gangs and mafia-style syndicates. That explains why the amount of daily crime faced by expats is not inordinately high.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I don't think the index actually measures general criminality, but as it says in the title, organized crime, such as gangs and mafia-style syndicates. That explains why the amount of daily crime faced by expats is not inordinately high.

But they would have us believe that the amount of daily crime committed by expats is of epidemic proportions, and it  is that which is the sole reason for the change in rating . :cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For some crimes (I guess in some states) the police don't even try to find and arrest the criminals.

For other crimes, the police catch them and then the judges release the criminals on the same day. The same again the next day, and the next...

It seems in Thailand the police at least try to catch the bad guys - except of course those rich influential people.

Then why is it the the US still has the highest, or very close to the highest (depending where you look) incarceration rate in the world? I guess they don't let everyone go, do they?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Then why is it the the US still has the highest, or very close to the highest (depending where you look) incarceration rate in the world? I guess they don't let everyone go, do they?

I think they don't arrest many people who would have been arrested for the same crime not too long ago because their prisons are maxed out. That tells us a lot about that country. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mr_lob said:

Hub incoming!

Whoopee another hub.

Thailand is labeled a "hub" in these illicit activities, emphasizing the need for joint efforts

1 hour ago, Expat Tom said:

Interesting but misleading. First, there are many many crime index reports.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Numbeo is considered to have the most extensive data basis. 

They rank Thailand as 100th and ahead of the USA, the UK,

Italy, Belgium and France. Thailand is ranked safer and with less crime

than most European countries. 

So, choose your own index to follow. 

I have visited  more the 75 countries and lived for longer than

one year in Asia, North America, Europe, South America and Micronesia 

and no place is perfect. 

I am an American expat and have lived in Thailand for well over 10 years.

To each his own but, as for me, I am quite happy to be here. 

Hi ET, thanks so much for your introduction to this website. It’s certainly impressive and seems to be far better informed than alternative sites I have seen. 🙏🏻

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who are indeed, the bad guys, using money gained from corruption to stay out of jail and putting innocents in jail, Koh Tao Godfathers and their offspring, for a prime example.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Agree 1

I find Thailand to generally be a very safe country to live in, i have wandered around on my own all hours of the night after watching rugby world cups etc. and never felt threatened.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It is all over the place, the land of the free.

Came across this video yesterday on ABC news, a case of mistaken identity, a pensioner arrested by armed agents and thrown in prison. The lady now has to prove in court she is not the woman that the federal agents arrested for some parole violation in the 90's.

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would say, the civilized world has common sick sociology (since 1970s);  over emphasis of criminals' human rights.

The systems often do their best to help bad guys walk free. 

While in some countries, law-abiding people's right of self-defense is almost completely denied.   And the residents are being forced to retreat in case of house break-ins. In contrast, in Thailand, right of self-defense is almost unconditional. For example, a shop keeper has every right to Shoot Armed Robbers on the spot.

I found such a footage on Youtube. 

Crime scene starts 0:21-

Edited by borderhopper2005
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In Thailand, policemen catch bad guys with with spoon-shaped hands! 😃

5 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

Interesting but misleading. First, there are many many crime index reports.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Numbeo is considered to have the most extensive data basis. 

They rank Thailand as 100th and ahead of the USA, the UK,

Italy, Belgium and France. Thailand is ranked safer and with less crime

than most European countries. 

So, choose your own index to follow. 

I have visited  more the 75 countries and lived for longer than

one year in Asia, North America, Europe, South America and Micronesia 

and no place is perfect. 

I am an American expat and have lived in Thailand for well over 10 years.

To each his own but, as for me, I am quite happy to be here. 

me to

On 4/10/2024 at 5:45 AM, webfact said:

Thailand has ranked 44th in the Global Organized Crime Index, highlighting issues like human trafficking, arms trade, and copyright infringement. These challenges hinder cooperation within ASEAN and call for urgent action. Thailand is labeled a "hub" in these illicit activities, emphasizing the need for joint efforts.

Reported crime, so much goes unnoticed.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Reported crime, so much goes unnoticed.

Unlike other countries right??? It is no longer a crime to steal or shoplift in the blue states of the USA if it is under $1000... no bail release for crimes are not even reported as crimes... Garbage In - Garbage Out... the reports mean nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1