Big C Extra food court like school dinners experience

scubascuba3

11 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

With your arthritis? 😆 

No problem whatsoever - I'm an avid weightlifter with good joints who trains 6 days a week - I can throw you out! Just tell me where you are and I'll come and get you and throw you in a cab headed for Bangkok. Fortunately, you won't be able to see my toes as I wear shoes when I go out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/10/2024 at 2:23 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I haven't been for years, went today, school dinner atmosphere, dirty falang new arrivals everywhere, food was like slop, glad i moved on years ago

What do you expect in Pattaya 😄

14 hours ago, Henryford said:

The food Court is for the farangs who can't afford to eat at Cheap Charlies. Best avoided.

Cheap Charlies is actually pretty pricey. Usually at least 200 baht if you get a drink even with the daily special, so $6-ish in Usd. I guess things have gone up in recent years but it feels almost like a Denny's (a diner in the Usa) price to me.

That's not somewhere I would eat out at all the time, more like just once in awhile. I'm used to street food though, I'm not a restaurant guy. There's nothing wrong with street food btw, many places have fresh seafood and the food is fine. Not street carts with wheels, but medium size streetside setups where they are cooking with tables setup. It's better and cleaner then the food court. 

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Cheap Charlies is actually pretty pricey. Usually at least 200 baht if you get a drink even with the daily special, so $6-ish in Usd. I guess things have gone up in recent years but it feels almost like a Denny's (a diner in the Usa) price to me.

That's not somewhere I would eat out at all the time, more like just once in awhile. I'm used to street food though, I'm not a restaurant guy. There's nothing wrong with street food btw, many places have fresh seafood and the food is fine. Not street carts with wheels, but medium size streetside setups where they are cooking with tables setup. It's better and cleaner then the food court. 

I agree street food can be healthy, my fav is chicken, lots of veg with extra rice. Many dishes are full of meat and fat and salt so choose carefully. Recently I've started cooking farang food more at home, best way to make it healthy and big enough

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, watthong said:

"It's about convenience...." and more. In Asia food courts are regarded as something of an institution though most of the time privately owned. I always considered them as the equivalent of a village square for us urban-dwellers. A place to "people watch" your own community. You can pretty much tell how well or how badly they are doing by observing a slice of their daily lives.

For rootless foreigners who have no respect or awareness of social customs to barge in and complaint about how the locals live, what they eat/how they spend money, how long "old people enjoying free air-conditioning for the price of one coffee," etc. such behavior is simply uncouth, uncalled for and uneducated. 

The one on Klang can be pretty grungy. Go for dinner and report back. Op wants you to try the mystery duck meat.

Edited by JimTripper

Been years since I visited a Big C food court, but found nothing much objectionable. OK food at reasonable price is always good by me. 
Latest experience at hospital food courts which were good and cheap.

I am reminded of my service experience where many bitched about the grub, but I am sure it was as good as they ever had “ on the block”.🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/12/2024 at 2:06 PM, watthong said:

"It's about convenience...." and more. In Asia food courts are regarded as something of an institution though most of the time privately owned. I always considered them as the equivalent of a village square for us urban-dwellers. A place to "people watch" your own community. You can pretty much tell how well or how badly they are doing by observing a slice of their daily lives.

For rootless foreigners who have no respect or awareness of social customs to barge in and complaint about how the locals live, what they eat/how they spend money, how long "old people enjoying free air-conditioning for the price of one coffee," etc. such behavior is simply uncouth, uncalled for and uneducated. 

Well said! Thank you!

On 4/10/2024 at 7:27 PM, noobexpat said:

They are scruffy slobs with zero social manners. Most or all of it self inflicted. Why should i be sympathetic?

They don't like my kind, so the feeling is mutual. 

I feel sorry for you. You are full of hate. All you need to do is simply not go to places you don't feel comfortable at. No need to vent your hate, frustration with life (obviously) and total disrespect to other people. I wish you a healthy life and hope that you will never end up toothless, a diabetic, penniless or homeless. Pity the poor carer(s) who'd have to put up with an old petulant and degenerate fossil like you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 3:08 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Not interested in the free water, walked past it, no cups...

duck and some green vegetable on rice slop

55 baht

Klang

Glad to get out of there, a lot of riff raff

I used to be posh like you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

I used to be posh like you.

Quack Quack goes the duck duck. Enjoy your duck and free water at the food court. Tell 'em pattaya pad sent you.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1